U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 AM

22,241 posts, read 23,756,865 times

Advertisements

Truly disgusting. And people wonder why Africa is off the map with regards to tourism.

Uganda's Anti-Gay Bill To Pass This Year: Official
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,759,311 times
I really hate this. I loved living in Uganda as they are the friendliest people I know. We knew better than to bring up the topic as their minds would not be changed and there was no point in arguing. And they had American evangelicals telling them they were right. It's the same throughout Africa.

Uganda does do a good tourism business though. Very posh safari tours and lodges.

No idea if/when they will ever change. But many of the university friends of the girl we sponsor are open-minded, so there is some hope.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,284,535 times
This is what happens when you combine the worst of evangelical christianity with uneducated people. The evangelicals have spread so much hate to a place in the world which sorely needs so much love they should all be hanged.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,521,771 times
I heard that the molestation of infants is actually quite a problem in parts of Africa, by straight men with some pretty twisted tendencies. I mean before I heard that it would never occur to me that someone would want to use a baby for sex. These people are animals. Maybe the Ugandans should look at them before pointing the finger at homosexuals with their paranoia akin to the witch-hunts of the 1600s.

South Africa actually has legal gay marriage, although I'm not sure I'd describe it as all that liberal or progressive.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I heard that the molestation of infants is actually quite a problem in parts of Africa, by straight men with some pretty twisted tendencies. I mean before I heard that it would never occur to me that someone would want to use a baby for sex. These people are animals. Maybe the Ugandans should look at them before pointing the finger at homosexuals with their paranoia akin to the witch-hunts of the 1600s.

South Africa actually has legal gay marriage, although I'm not sure I'd describe it as all that liberal or progressive.
South Africa is a developed country, unlike all other other subsaharan countries. I've been there as well and it's very modern compared to Uganda. Not on the same scale at all.

In some countries (never heard it happening in Uganda) they believe that sex with a child will prevent/cure Aids.

Ugandans aren't exposed to open-minded literature, tv, newspapers, etc. They are about 85% christian and most are fundamentalist. Homosexuality is illegal in most countries in Africa. As recently as 2003 there were 10 states in the US were sodomy was illegal. Okay, it wasn't enforced, but how fast do you expect a poverty-stricken country to catch up with the modern world? They only got free universal primary education in 1996.

I'm not defending them for their ideas, but it certainly did not help at all that those hateful, homophobic evangelicals from the US encouraged them!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,235,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
South Africa is a developed country, unlike all other other subsaharan countries. I've been there as well and it's very modern compared to Uganda. Not on the same scale at all.

In some countries (never heard it happening in Uganda) they believe that sex with a child will prevent/cure Aids.

Ugandans aren't exposed to open-minded literature, tv, newspapers, etc. They are about 85% christian and most are fundamentalist. Homosexuality is illegal in most countries in Africa. As recently as 2003 there were 10 states in the US were sodomy was illegal. Okay, it wasn't enforced, but how fast do you expect a poverty-stricken country to catch up with the modern world? They only got free universal primary education in 1996.

I'm not defending them for their ideas, but it certainly did not help at all that those hateful, homophobic evangelicals from the US encouraged them!
About half the countries in Africa that have laws against homosexuality are Muslim majority and countries with a large minority of Muslims. In all countries in Africa that mandate the death penalty for gays, all of them are Islamic countries, none are Christian. In Nigeria, only the Muslim majority north executes gays. Yet, here you are blaming evangelical American Christians for spreading hate But we all know it's not politically correct these days, especially in Europe, to criticize Islam so Christianity gets all of the blame.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
About half the countries in Africa that have laws against homosexuality are Muslim majority and countries with a large minority of Muslims. In all countries in Africa that mandate the death penalty for gays, all of them are Islamic countries, none are Christian. In Nigeria, only the Muslim majority north executes gays. Yet, here you are blaming evangelical American Christians for spreading hate But we all know it's not politically correct these days, especially in Europe, to criticize Islam so Christianity gets all of the blame.
This thread is about Uganda, not Muslim countries. Uganda is 85% christian, about 10% Muslim. I lived there. I saw many American evangelicals there, and they encouraged the homophobic hate.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM

2,665 posts, read 2,186,412 times
This could be good news for the US. Perhaps all of our bigoted evangelicals will move there after this passes, resulting in them leaving us the hell alone.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
This could be good news for the US. Perhaps all of our bigoted evangelicals will move there after this passes, resulting in them leaving us the hell alone.
NOOO!! You keep those b**tards! I love visiting Uganda and when we lived there I ran the other way when I heard American voices! There were nearly always evangelicals but lived in modern houses with all the mod cons and were always very LOUD. Always had a hoard of kids age 5 and under. Guess they didn't believe in birth control.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Emmm.....you realize that's about 40% of the US population don't you? Do you think they'd be happy in mud huts and no chance to watch Fox News?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or