U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 AM

7,577 posts, read 2,437,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So,Obama uses things to his advantage?

It made me think,he really can't claim he is African American,because he isn't. No slave ancestors.
However,I still have a problem with Kenyan American. He wasn't born in Kenya,to anyone's knowledge.

One thing I do agree with some,why isn't he claiming biracial?
He isn't the first black president,because of his being biracial.
He isn't the first African American president,because he has the kenyan heritage.
To be honest,even saying Kenyan is wrong.

Who are his people in Kenya? The Lua?
Is it wrong to say Irish-American or Italian-American? Cuban-American or Korean-American? He's Kenyan-American and Irish-American to be specific. And yes, he is Luo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,195,483 times
I think this was a troll thread from the beginning.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,764,665 times
This has gotten way off the track, politics and Obama debates belong in another section of CD. Yes, maybe so Joy74. Sad that the thread with the highest number of posts is one like this.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 AM

8,224 posts, read 10,791,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Is it wrong to say Irish-American or Italian-American? Cuban-American or Korean-American? He's Kenyan-American and Irish-American to be specific. And yes, he is Luo.
Yes it is.
It should only be American with no hyphen.

Have you ever heard of a German-Mexican?
No,they just call themselves Mexican.
Why do you think some groups have problems with the classifications in America?
Italians in Italy don't consider Italian-Americans any more italian than a frenchmen.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 AM

7,577 posts, read 2,437,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes it is.
It should only be American with no hyphen.

Have you ever heard of a German-Mexican?
No,they just call themselves Mexican.
Why do you think some groups have problems with the classifications in America?
Italians in Italy don't consider Italian-Americans any more italian than a frenchmen.
American of Irish and Kenyan descent - it's virtually the same. There are plenty nations where people use hyphens or make the same types of associations. Haven't you heard of Japanese Brazilians, Lebanese Colombians or Chinese Jamaicans? Despite how people in Italy may feel, the people are still of Italian descent and that is what they are recognizing.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
It's due to our historical experience. Blacks should just try and get along.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,485,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstiffany View Post
I live here in charlotte nc, and am originally from NJ. Why is it time and time again when i run into a woman that came here from a country in Africa, she always has a dirty attitude towards me? And why is it that every african male that ive ever met has always told me that he was rich and building a mansion back in " his country"? if thats the case, why are they here in the usa instead of back in their country?
Well, it is hard to say why a African woman would treat you poorly. All African women are not the same. You should address them directly and find out.

As for the African men, you seem to have a issue with stereo typing. And the whole "then why are you here then" attitude could be seen as offensive. Maybe they are here because they want to. If you have money (assuming they aren't lying) they have options. I have a friend who built a Hotel in Benin city, which is where he is from originally, yet he lives in America, why? because he wants to and its his right, he can live wherever he likes.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 AM

994 posts, read 1,050,597 times

Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,195,483 times
The OP created this thread, and has not responded back. I am still convinced that this was a troll from the beginning.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM

557 posts, read 1,382,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstiffany View Post
I live here in charlotte nc, and am originally from NJ. Why is it time and time again when i run into a woman that came here from a country in Africa, she always has a dirty attitude towards me? And why is it that every african male that ive ever met has always told me that he was rich and building a mansion back in " his country"? if thats the case, why are they here in the usa instead of back in their country?

You are too INTELLIGENT!!!! I mean it... the system could not allow me to rep you more than once. A critically thinking person like you is what is needed in this world. You are absolutely right and have to be suspicious of ANY immigrant (whether from Africa, Asia, Carribean,etc ) you come accross in this country. I have travelled in a few countries in Africa (Kenya, Ethiopia, Entebbe - Uganda) and can tell you that yes, there are very rich people there who work in government, private businesses or at international orgs (like the UN) and who live in villas I am yet to see here. You cannot pay these folks enough money to leave all that and come here to the US to live. Many of these folks come to shop maybe for a month and leave. Or they come here to pursue higher studies and leave.

That said, a good majority of the immigrants (I would say 80%) you find in the US (or the UK, Canada) are forced to be here because they were very poor in their countries and cannot make a decent living there. If they had good job prospects (or had a "mansion" like the guy told you), TRUST me, they would not be in the US. Everyone wants to be in a country they grew up in, in an environment or culture they are familiar with, so why abandon all that to come to the US???

The remaining percentage of immigrants (I would say 20%) came here on student visas and most leave after completing their studies. The ones who stay here after they graduate do so because they cannot find a job in their countries that pays decent. In this small percentage, there are also political refugees who simply cannot go back unless a new government takes power.

I want you to pay attention to the percentage mentioned above. It shows that the majority (not all!!)of the immigrants you run into were extremely poor in their countries so they had no choice but to flee. The other thing is before they fled, most of these immigrants had a vision of the US that is completely different from reality. They thought once they come here in America, making money is an easy thing but as soon as they realize how hard it is to get a job that even pays minimum wage and how much they have to struggle to make it, they instantly become somewhat bitter. So, in the case of the lady you talk about, it could just be that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or