U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,194,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I think that is just something that people do, whether they intend to or are aware of how impolite it may be perceived. I hear people all the time on and offline from other areas of our country, talking down about California and Los Angeles. A guy I know from Haiti once told me about "how easy it is to exploit Americans financially because we have been taught materialism so well and for the most part are basically uneducated", compared to his apparently superior homeland. But like you, I couldn't resist wondering why he was here with us dummies?? I suspect the greater chances of 'financial exploitation', sorta-speak?
Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. That guy needs to go somewhere and figure out why Haiti still looks like the earthquake just happened. If that guy was in danger of getting deported back to Haiti, he would be on his knees begging Americans to let him stay. That guy can talk all he wants, but many people know the truth behind all that nonsense he says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,424,212 times
Quote:
I think that is just something that people do, whether they intend to or are aware of how impolite it may be perceived. I hear people all the time on and offline from other areas of our country, talking down about California and Los Angeles. A guy I know from Haiti once told me about "how easy it is to exploit Americans financially because we have been taught materialism so well and for the most part are basically uneducated", compared to his apparently superior homeland. But like you, I couldn't resist wondering why he was here with us dummies?? I suspect the greater chances of 'financial exploitation', sorta-speak?
The same Haiti where folks eat mud cakes?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times
Quote:
I think that is just something that people do, whether they intend to or are aware of how impolite it may be perceived. I hear people all the time on and offline from other areas of our country, talking down about California and Los Angeles. A guy I know from Haiti once told me about "how easy it is to exploit Americans financially because we have been taught materialism so well [/b] and for the most part are basically uneducated", compared to his apparently superior homeland.[/b] But like you, I couldn't resist wondering why he was here with us dummies?? I suspect the greater chances of 'financial exploitation', sorta-speak?
That sounds like a bit much. I believe you when you state that he was speaking about American materialism, and someone coming from Haiti may very well feel that way. It is true that our society is materialistic. But you infer that he "apparently" feels that his homeland is superior because he made the statement about Americans and materialism. Did he actually state that Americans are uneducated compared to Haitians? Or is that "sorta speak"? It just seems like you assumed far more than he actually said.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 PM

363 posts, read 585,879 times
Someone not liking a american black woman... is this a troll thread?

Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 AM

90 posts, read 59,792 times
In my experience most africans are very hard working. They expect no hand outs.

In my experience african americans are the polar opposite of this.

Africans haven't been taught the PC culture that requires we not point this out. They simply call a spade a spade.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,443,579 times
uhhh....Well I'm Black American with Caribbean ancestry and most of the friends I've had in recent years who are Black are African. They tend to want to acknowledge me of being of Caribbean descent though i think a lot of it has to do with the treatment they've received from Black americans and black american women while here as well as what's put out about us in the media in other parts of the world. If you travel, you'd see it's really not that pleasant and inviting tbh. We get portrayed as being aggressive, thieves, thugs, etc.

ALSO, I can tell you right now some black americans can be soooo racist towards Africans as well. It's sad. I remember one time I had gotten pretty dark and decided to ride a bus home and there were some ignorant black people in the back of the bus who started imitating the african accent and saying ignorant stuff to me like, "Do you like fufu and soup?" It was so derogatory and some of my african friends have been bullied and teased by black americans while in this country and it's sad and shameful imo. *smh* That's why they backed away from Black americans after a while.

Lastly, the comment you made about african men in your OP is kind of rude. They might've been trying to impress you with their comment of having a nice place back in Africa. Obviously they came for more growth opportunities.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:01 PM

47 posts, read 73,963 times
Africans, Afro-Americans aren't thinking about you! Stop trying to start tribal wars with us. All I ever hear and see is our people talking about the negative experiences they have with Africans when they come in contact with them.

Leave us alone. None of us were ever even conscious of your presence until we had to actually deal with you.

LEAVE US ALONE!!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 PM

47 posts, read 73,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
uhhh....Well I'm Black American with Caribbean ancestry and most of the friends I've had in recent years who are Black are African. They tend to want to acknowledge me of being of Caribbean descent though i think a lot of it has to do with the treatment they've received from Black americans and black american women while here as well as what's put out about us in the media in other parts of the world. If you travel, you'd see it's really not that pleasant and inviting tbh. We get portrayed as being aggressive, thieves, thugs, etc.

ALSO, I can tell you right now some black americans can be soooo racist towards Africans as well. It's sad. I remember one time I had gotten pretty dark and decided to ride a bus home and there were some ignorant black people in the back of the bus who started imitating the african accent and saying ignorant stuff to me like, "Do you like fufu and soup?" It was so derogatory and some of my african friends have been bullied and teased by black americans while in this country and it's sad and shameful imo. *smh* That's why they backed away from Black americans after a while.

Lastly, the comment you made about african men in your OP is kind of rude. They might've been trying to impress you with their comment of having a nice place back in Africa. Obviously they came for more growth opportunities.
Africans are portrayed to us in the most awful way also. Just the way American media does when it comes to melanated people.

Yes, there are very ignorant Afro-American people but if Africans had not come here with their negative attitudes against us in the first place, they would not be receiving the amount of hate they claim they are from certain individuals among us. Really and truly, I think they are mostly lying on us.

There are a lot of people from the afrocentric and "conscious" communities that embrace Africans and think highly of them but these are the people most Africans tend to hate on the most.

Africans are clearly the ones bringing the aggression and aggressive and hateful attitudes to our people.

We never even think about Africans until we run into them. You are not on our radar so just leave us alone. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 PM

16,435 posts, read 22,351,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
You're a broken record, find a new argument.

1. I am not from the African continent. I was born and raised in the U.S. and I do not identify with African Americans or White Americans.

2. I don't look up to Obama like a child needing a parent, which is what you come across as.

3. If Africans want to look up to Obama they can. That's none of your business and should not affect your life. But again that is an example of your insecurity. Africans have a lot to be proud of in Obama. After America rejected many African American candidates from Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Carolyn Mosley Brown, a son of a Kenyan is the one that got into the white house. So I understand why you may cringe when you see Obama embrace any part of his African side. BTW these aren't my arguments, but many prominent figures have stated that they do not see Obama as "one of their own".

4. Black is an ambiguous term, do not confuse it for African American, despite the terms being used interchangeably, they are not the same thing. Black can imply any nationality and ethnicity. So your point is mute.

5. I guess you don't have a problem with the thousands of African American children who are born and raised in abroad. So the French have more claim to Tony Parker (French born and raised) than you. The children of U.S. serviceman who are born in Germany and Japan are all culturally and ethnically German and Japanese. Yes your logic makes a lot of sense.

I think you have a problem much deeper than the topic discussion, I'm not a doctor so I can't help you.
Older post but I had to rep you and respond here. As a Black American myself, I will agree that too many Black Americans think only in terms of skin color. Barack Obama is half black and is American by nationality since he was born here. However many don't realize that ethnicity, race and nationality are not necessarily the same things. He is American by nationality but ethnically he is not Black American. People of a certain ethnicity share certain things historically which tie them together. Obama's black ancestors didn't share in the civil rights, Jim Crow and American slavery experience. They didn't play a role in the shaping of American culture the way Black Americans and our ancestors did. His black ancestors share a history completely separate from ours. Hell, they're not even from the same part of Africa. These things are what make him a different ethnicity. In fact if anything, his Irish-American mother will have more in common with Black Americans than his Kenyan father.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,194,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Princess View Post
Africans, Afro-Americans aren't thinking about you! Stop trying to start tribal wars with us. All I ever hear and see is our people talking about the negative experiences they have with Africans when they come in contact with them.

Leave us alone. None of us were ever even conscious of your presence until we had to actually deal with you.

LEAVE US ALONE!!
Speak for yourself. I have had positive experiences with Africans. Also, one of my favorite actresses (Kerry Washington) just married a Nigerian man. One of my favorite singers (Jennifer Hudson) is engaged to and has a child by an Nigerian man, and we can't forget that my favorite First Lady is married to man who is half Kenyan. You know, the man called President of the U.S. All of these men were born and raised here in the U.S., and their parents or one parent was born in on the African Continent. It appears to me that plenty of African men love Black American women, and plenty of Black American women love African men. It appears that both groups are thinking about each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or