Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,345,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
Knock it off with the internet grammar nonsense. You understood everything I said. Obama isn't African and he isn't Kenyan. He is black American before he is Black African and Irish American before he is Kenyan. I don't care you didn't like what I wrote. Obama doesn't claim Africa or Kenya. He isn't African or Kenyan linguistically, nationally, or culturally but American in all three. The man had to meet his father. Nothing I wrote is outrageous.
Huh?

Yeah he's not claiming them much in this picture. Sorry he's about as culturally African American as George Bush. He claims it for political advantage and through his marriage to his wife. He says as much in his autobiography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,345,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
He's not a Kenyan American to you because it is not politically satisfying to you. His father is from Kenya, noting you can say or do can change where his ancestors came. It doesn't even matter what Obama calls himself when he's in the public. He will say what the people want to hear. I don't consider Obama black and I believe behind close doors Obama doesn't either. But for the sake of his political career he would dare never say that he isn't black or an African American because people like yourself like to bully people into accepting your twisted ideology when it comes to someone's identity. Obama will always be an American of Kenyan and Irish descent. It makes no sense for you to say he is not Kenyan ethnically when his very name implies that he is of Kenyan heritage. Almost half of this country's black public figures come from immigrant backgrounds, and I doubt that they don't identify with their immigrant heritages. The audacity for you to dictate who and what someone is it's laughable. Identity is an individual matter and you have no control over that, and in the same token you cannot erase someone's heritage because it doesn't fit into your black narrative.
LOL you're 100% correct.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,262,366 times
How many Africans know Al Green songs, though? Lol

Clearly, the man relates to the AA experience, on some levels.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM

277 posts, read 504,615 times
Quote:
He's not a Kenyan American to you because it is not politically satisfying to you. His father is from Kenya, noting you can say or do can change where his ancestors came. It doesn't even matter what Obama calls himself when he's in the public. He will say what the people want to hear. I don't consider Obama black and I believe behind close doors Obama doesn't either. But for the sake of his political career he would dare never say that he isn't black or an African American because people like yourself like to bully people into accepting your twisted ideology when it comes to someone's identity. Obama will always be an American of Kenyan and Irish descent. It makes no sense for you to say he is not Kenyan ethnically when his very name implies that he is of Kenyan heritage. Almost half of this country's black public figures come from immigrant backgrounds, and I doubt that they don't identify with their immigrant heritages. The audacity for you to dictate who and what someone is it's laughable. Identity is an individual matter and you have no control over that, and in the same token you cannot erase someone's heritage because it doesn't fit into your black narrative.
NOOOO!! Obama isn't a Kenyan American because I think he's not. He is NOT a Kenyan American because He knows he's NOT. Obama ISN'T culturally or ethnically Kenyan. Yes his DESCENT is Irish and Kenyan but I'm glad you say identity is an individual matter and it's Obama who identifies as American and NEVER African; it's Obama who identifies as Irish and NEVER Kenyan; it's Obama that identifies as both black & white and NEVER black African; it's Obama that identifies as culturally American, ethnically American, nationally American and NEVER ethnically, culturally or nationally African or Kenyan. You really aren't getting it. Like all biracials Obama sees himself as both [black & white]. You don't need to look for a hero outside of Africa you have your own heroes inside Africa.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Huh?

Yeah he's not claiming them much in this picture. Sorry he's about as culturally African American as George Bush. He claims it for political advantage and through his marriage to his wife. He says as much in his autobiography.

Firstly, Obama had to meet his father and his father's family. Secondly, it's just a picture. Thirdly, neither you or I know if the picture is even authentic and if this is indeed Obama father's family. How do you know. Have you ever seen Obama with his father's family outside recent pics that circulated during his campaign/presidency. Have you ever seen Obama father's family. I know you didn't. The picture is speculation at best. Obama is CULTURALLY AMERICAN and African-American there's nothing culturally Kenyan or African about him. You people keep claiming a man who doesn't claim you.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Huh?

You're not smart. Everyone in politics know who Obama is. Obama isn't new on the scene. There's no political advantage in being black American as president. If that were true there were have been a black president long before a biracial one. I can see advantages from him being Irish and not a descendant of black American slaves. He married his American wife because they are compatible. They're both American, both black, like the same black American music, both come from well-to-do households, similar educationally backgrounds, etc..

Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM

158 posts, read 255,572 times
Quote:
NOOOO!! Obama isn't a Kenyan American because I think he's not. He is NOT a Kenyan American because He knows he's NOT. Obama ISN'T culturally or ethnically Kenyan. Yes his DESCENT is Irish and Kenyan but I'm glad you say identity is an individual matter and it's Obama who identifies as American and NEVER African; it's Obama who identifies as Irish and NEVER Kenyan; it's Obama that identifies as both black & white and NEVER black African; it's Obama that identifies as culturally American, ethnically American, nationally American and NEVER ethnically, culturally or nationally African or Kenyan. You really aren't getting it. Like all biracials Obama sees himself as both [black & white]. You don't need to look for a hero outside of Africa you have your own heroes inside Africa.

You're a broken record, find a new argument.

1. I am not from the African continent. I was born and raised in the U.S. and I do not identify with African Americans or White Americans.

2. I don't look up to Obama like a child needing a parent, which is what you come across as.

3. If Africans want to look up to Obama they can. That's none of your business and should not affect your life. But again that is an example of your insecurity. Africans have a lot to be proud of in Obama. After America rejected many African American candidates from Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Carolyn Mosley Brown, a son of a Kenyan is the one that got into the white house. So I understand why you may cringe when you see Obama embrace any part of his African side. BTW these aren't my arguments, but many prominent figures have stated that they do not see Obama as "one of their own".

4. Black is an ambiguous term, do not confuse it for African American, despite the terms being used interchangeably, they are not the same thing. Black can imply any nationality and ethnicity. So your point is mute.

5. I guess you don't have a problem with the thousands of African American children who are born and raised in abroad. So the French have more claim to Tony Parker (French born and raised) than you. The children of U.S. serviceman who are born in Germany and Japan are all culturally and ethnically German and Japanese. Yes your logic makes a lot of sense.

I think you have a problem much deeper than the topic discussion, I'm not a doctor so I can't help you.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
3. If Africans want to look up to Obama they can. That's none of your business and should not affect your life. But again that is an example of your insecurity. Africans have a lot to be proud of in Obama. After America rejected many African American candidates from Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Carolyn Mosley Brown, a son of a Kenyan is the one that got into the white house. So I understand why you may cringe when you see Obama embrace any part of his African side. BTW these aren't my arguments, but many prominent figures have stated that they do not see Obama as "one of their own".

4. Black is an ambiguous term, do not confuse it for African American, despite the terms being used interchangeably, they are not the same thing. Black can imply any nationality and ethnicity. So your point is mute.

5. I guess you don't have a problem with the thousands of African American children who are born and raised in abroad. So the French have more claim to Tony Parker (French born and raised) than you. The children of U.S. serviceman who are born in Germany and Japan are all culturally and ethnically German and Japanese. Yes your logic makes a lot of sense.
You sound like a broken record. Let's go:

1. If Africans or Kenyans want to look up to Obama they can. Anyone can. Don't repeat something that I had to explain after you and others indicated that Obama says he's black/African-Americans for political reasons. It was I that had to explain that he NOT being from Black American heritage may have gave him advantage, but it is the fact that he is IRISH with powerful political lineage that is tolerated and accepted of him to have the seat as President as the first black president though having no lineage and heritage to Black America. Don't try to explain to me something that I had to school you on.

2. Obama DOES NOT embrace being African!!! That is something you and other Africans aren't getting. If you think it's wise to value a man who gives you the cold shoulder then go ahead.

3. Black isn't ambiguous. No one is confused of what black is. Your point is mute.

4. What are you talking about in No. 5? Tony Parker is French. No black American see that boy as Black American. They see him as French. Every Black American that is born and reared aboard in said country and culture is indeed that country's culture and ethnic asset. Black Americans don't claim African-Americans born and reared abroad as culturally and ethnically Black American. Only foreigners do that.

STOP SWEATING BLACK PEOPLE!!!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 AM

158 posts, read 255,572 times
Quote:
4. What are you talking about in No. 5? Tony Parker is French. No black American see that boy as Black American. They see him as French. Every Black American that is born and reared aboard in said country and culture is indeed that country's culture and ethnic asset. Black Americans don't claim African-Americans born and reared abroad as culturally and ethnically Black American. Only foreigners do that.

STOP SWEATING BLACK PEOPLE!!!

lol.....right. But I enjoyed watching you debunk your own arguments. Obama is not Kenyan because he was not raised in Kenya, but is African American even though he was raised by white people in Kansas and Hawaii. lol you're funny. Eminem is more African American than Barack Obama. As for your dubious claim for 'sweating' black people (an oxymoron because Africans are also black, this is another example of your confusion as I mentioned in the previous post), who is the crazy one trolling an Africa sub forum? What are you doing on this side of city data?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,112,763 times
Quote:
You're a broken record, find a new argument.

1. I am not from the African continent. I was born and raised in the U.S. and I do not identify with African Americans or White Americans.

2. I don't look up to Obama like a child needing a parent, which is what you come across as.

I think you have a problem much deeper than the topic discussion, I'm not a doctor so I can't help you.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa