Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 PM

277 posts, read 504,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So tell me,what priorities should AA get straight?

If you stop looking at the media,you will find successful black americans.
A sizable number of AA are middle class,despite what you heard or read.
More move into the ranks every year.

Meanwhile,I will tell you the priorities Africans should get straight....
They act like the less fortunate is the majority of African-Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When my wife called me into the TV room to say Look, Vanessa Williams has become the first black Miss America, I had to ask "Which one is she?"
Vanessa Williams is a black american not African. She is mixed but not biracial.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
It's time to come together in unity, even while celebrating our cultural differences as Black people. This divisive nonsense needs to end. It is best to find ways to connect.
I agree. I still don't see how the OP keep bumping into nasty Africans.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 PM

44 posts, read 208,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
I agree. I still don't see how the OP keep bumping into nasty Africans.
Its time for some accountability rather than excuses. The OP is upset and jealous of African men and women success. Thats the bottom line.

I do not understand why you're trying to downplay the success of Africans in America. Statistics show Africans mainly Nigerian Americans as the most successful immigrant group. Most people think Asian Americans are but only the few intelligent economic majors know that Nigerian Americans are the most successful. We are not talking about why they cant be successful in other countries, they are successful here. However they look very similar if not close to black americans. Why do they have the drive to succeed while AA try to bully them, put them down and say they are not black. Come on and stop making excuses for black americans.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
Its time for some accountability rather than excuses. The OP is upset and jealous of African men and women success. Thats the bottom line.

I do not understand why you're trying to downplay the success of Africans in America. Statistics show Africans mainly Nigerian Americans as the most successful immigrant group. Most people think Asian Americans are but only the few intelligent economic majors know that Nigerian Americans are the most successful. We are not talking about why they cant be successful in other countries, they are successful here. However they look very similar if not close to black americans. Why do they have the drive to succeed while AA try to bully them, put them down and say they are not black. Come on and stop making excuses for black americans.
First I'm going to tell you DO NOT post to me starting trouble or twisting anything I said and DO NOT put words in my mouth. Second it's time for africans to be accountable to why they're less fortunate in their own countries and stop the excuses. Third I have not downplayed any success of Africans in America. Not one person in this thread downplay any success or refuted Nigerians aren't successful or the most successful group so I don't know where you got that from. Fourth I don't care what most people think of Asians.

Back to my point, African-Americans aren't jealous of any immigrant success. Immigrants normally do better than locals you should know that look at Nigeria and other African nations. The immigrants do better than the local African population. I guess you Africans need accountability in your own countries and stop the excuses. Having said that. African-Americans have their own success and continue to succeed. You comparing a more fortunate group to the less fortunate. Apples and Oranges. There are a tiny few African-Americans that live abroad and guess what, they do better and out succeed the local population. Just imagine if African-Americans truly immigrant en masse. Stop thinking immigrants only do better than the black locals. Immigrants do better than white people too.

I said in a previous post. All Nigerians didn't get where they're at through honest hard work. I'm not going to get into the fraudulent degrees and falsifying of names and licenses. I lived with Nigerians. My good friend is married to one. Another good friend married to one. I've dated them. My aunt been to Nigeria. Trust me, I know a lot about Nigerians that will put you and them to shame but I refuse to do that.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 PM

323 posts, read 526,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Also, lighter-skinned women in Africa are considered to be more beautiful than dark. Models, stewardesses, performers, TV personalities, they quite often (if not usually) have lighter skin, suggesting some non-African ancestry.

Like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6P6FK65E83...t%2BHeader.jpg

Have you noticed that on American TV ads depicting an African-American couple deliriously enjoying the sponsor's product. the man is always significantly darker than the woman (watch for it). Women of DARK color are not considered beautiful anywhere, but for men, dark is OK if not preferred.

WOW - unbelievable People forget that Africa is a Continent ( the largest) made up of many countries and they do not all have the same traditions/cultures etc.

Of the 5 countries in Africa that I have been - I have never seen an appreciation for lighter skinned people over darker skin - in fact - light skinned AA who were with us felt a little uncomfortable at times because almost every one was darker - even on TV

As global media has become more main stream - as well as with more europeans visiting Afrika than AA's - some people in Afrika have had a shift in beauty standards based on what they see in the global media unfortunately.

Ad in America are skewered toward women who are white/lite historically

Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,756,895 times
That's funny,when I looked at Nollywood movies,evry woman had an obvious wig on.
A Wolof woman in Senegal had bleached her skin in one blog I read;she didntt bleach it to whiteness;just a milk chocalate complexion.

I do agree with you,the influence came from Black Americans.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
First I'm going to tell you DO NOT post to me starting trouble or twisting anything I said and DO NOT put words in my mouth. Second it's time for africans to be accountable to why they're less fortunate in their own countries and stop the excuses. Third I have not downplayed any success of Africans in America. Not one person in this thread downplay any success or refuted Nigerians aren't successful or the most successful group so I don't know where you got that from. Fourth I don't care what most people think of Asians.

Back to my point, African-Americans aren't jealous of any immigrant success. Immigrants normally do better than locals you should know that look at Nigeria and other African nations. The immigrants do better than the local African population. I guess you Africans need accountability in your own countries and stop the excuses. Having said that. African-Americans have their own success and continue to succeed. You comparing a more fortunate group to the less fortunate. Apples and Oranges. There are a tiny few African-Americans that live abroad and guess what, they do better and out succeed the local population. Just imagine if African-Americans truly immigrant en masse. Stop thinking immigrants only do better than the black locals. Immigrants do better than white people too.

I said in a previous post. All Nigerians didn't get where they're at through honest hard work. I'm not going to get into the fraudulent degrees and falsifying of names and licenses. I lived with Nigerians. My good friend is married to one. Another good friend married to one. I've dated them. My aunt been to Nigeria. Trust me, I know a lot about Nigerians that will put you and them to shame but I refuse to do that.
We are not in Africa though, we are in America. They are doing better than most African Americans so there is no reason why you should tell them to go back to there home country to succeed. That is somewhat reverse discrimination. No different than telling a mexican immigrant to find a job in mexico rather than the US. Why are you so focused on the bad about Nigerian people rather than the good? That tells me you are consumed with jealousy and hate. I have a degree in psychology and no person who is comfortable with themselves and other people would want to defame another person. Like high school, the popular girl has all the attention, however you know some of the skeletons in her closet and you are just trying to find the right time to reveal them to the world in order to satisfy your ego. African American woman like you are jealous of African success. That is the bottom line.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
We are not in Africa though, we are in America. They are doing better than most African Americans so there is no reason why you should tell them to go back to there home country to succeed. That is somewhat reverse discrimination. No different than telling a mexican immigrant to find a job in mexico rather than the US. Why are you so focused on the bad about Nigerian people rather than the good? That tells me you are consumed with jealousy and hate. I have a degree in psychology and no person who is comfortable with themselves and other people would want to defame another person. Like high school, the popular girl has all the attention, however you know some of the skeletons in her closet and you are just trying to find the right time to reveal them to the world in order to satisfy your ego. African American woman like you are jealous of African success. That is the bottom line.
You're trolling and I'm beginning to question if you are even African. I already told you to not put words in my mouth. Like I said, what you see in America is no differently than what you will see in African and Afro-caribbean countries. That is immigrants normally does better than the locals. Since you brought in Mexico it's the same for that country. Immigrants in Mexico does better than the local Mexican population. Immigrants in the U.S. don't only do better than African-Americans but they also do better than white Americans. Where's is the accountability within these African nations that they can't succeed within their own nation. No African-American is jealous of African success. They have their own success.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:30 PM

. Where's is the accountability within these African nations that they can't succeed within their own nation. No African-American is jealous of African success. They have their own success.[/quote]

Why do you even care!!! They are successful in America, my goodness. That is all that matters. We are in the United States of America. You making excuses trying to downplay their success is an example of a person who is jealous and envious. That is basically what haters do, you're doing the same thing. Dont hate, appreciate.

I am getting a whole lot of respect points, so obviously people and guests agree with my point of view.

Lets say you and I were interviewing a person who was of Nigerian descent. All of the qualifications to do the job, great interview but you dont want to give him the job because you hold certain biases towards Africans. I am all set because I do not care. Who is the person who has the problem now and the better person? You have issues that you need to face...I do not know what problem you have but you would not make excuses and downplay African success in America if you did not care about why they are successful here rather than their native country. Just like the OP, and jersey girl, youre just in denial that you cant believe that you are jealous.

People who complain obviously have a problem with someone. I do not complain, if I do not have a problem with someone.

Last edited by DipGrant; 12-24-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa