Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM

15,072 posts, read 6,102,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why would Africans and Carribeans be proud of where they are from?
Most are 3rd world countries,and get this,they can't say its racism because blacks form the majority in their home countries.

So really,they have not one reason,not even half a reason,to look down on anyone when they live in war torn,3rd world countries. No reason to look down on AA,not one.
Both groups would be proud of... vibrant cultures, to include great festivals, literary traditions, good music and great foods; beautiful landscapes Etc.

Btw people of African descent (blacks) are not the majoity in all Caribbean nations. Just Fyi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,755,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
I think you really are jealous or prejudice against black people who are from Africa. In some ways you think you are better than them. Are you mad that they actually speak articulately, have more drive and passion to succeed than stereotypical black american men and women? No one is better than no one, and mainstream white america often use Africans, specifically Nigerians as a model on how black american men and women should act and succeed in America.

I would not say they look down upon you. It is more that they don't like to be perpetuated by the black stereotype that most people in this country views negatively. More times than not you do see African men chasing black american woman, heck our president married an educated young black american woman from the city. However if they don't act "black enough" they will be labeled as an uncle tom or a cornball brotha. Whats wrong with placing an emphasis on education, talking articulately, and having a passion to be successful?
Sterotypical black american?
Well,what would that be? Oprah? Dr.Cornell West?
Oh I get it. What are the stereotypical Nigerians? Scammers?
As a matter of fact,I don't hear whites praise Nigerians. But I hear lots of scams come out of that country.

If they dont want to be perpetuated by black american stereotypes,the door is always wide open.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

All I'm saying is how are some African immigrants going to look down on black americans when they are only 12% of the population,and they have a brutal history in this country,whereas most African countries are independant and third world with virtually no whites?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM

44 posts, read 208,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Sterotypical black american?
Well,what would that be? Oprah? Dr.Cornell West?
Oh I get it. What are the stereotypical Nigerians? Scammers?
As a matter of fact,I don't hear whites praise Nigerians. But I hear lots of scams come out of that country.

If they dont want to be perpetuated by black american stereotypes,the door is always wide open.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

All I'm saying is how are some African immigrants going to look down on black americans when they are only 12% of the population,and they have a brutal history in this country,whereas most African countries are independant and third world with virtually no whites?
I was right all along. Africans dont look down upon you, you look down upon them. You are mad that they reject what you consider "being black", and because that they do you think that they should go back to where they came from. What you feel is no different from white people disliking african american culture.

Youre also pretty ignorant. For centuries, even until the the late 1950's practically all of Africa was colonized by the British. Do you know that America is one of the only country where people are required to learn only one language? Other countries you have to learn more than one. In most African countries english is/was the primary language because the British took over. They technically speak better English when they come over to America, it is just with an accent. English is our primary language because we were once colonized by England as well. Find yourself and learn to accept what they are about. If you do, it would only help your mindset. Life is to short too hate.

The African American community in America needs to get their priorities straight that is all I am saying. The key word is accountability. I'm pretty sure many successful African Americans and celebrities like Bill Cosby would agree with me.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,683,309 times
Quote:
The African American community in America needs to get their priorities straight that is all I am saying. The key word is accountability. I'm pretty sure many successful African Americans and celebrities like Bill Cosby would agree with me.
Very well said

I have heard African Americans are jealous of Africans because of their success. So AAs accuse them of 'acting white'; Africans say they are jealous and not happy unless everyone with dark skin is in the ghetto and hating whites.

Africans concern themselves with hard work rather than this hate

Last edited by tropical87; 12-19-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,563,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Very well said

I have heard Africans feel jealously from AAs because of their success. So AAs accuse them of 'acting white'; Africans say they are jealous and not happy unless everyone with dark skin is in the ghetto and hating whites.

Africans concern themselves with hard work rather than this hate
I have heard it the other way round, namely that AAs are jealous of African immigrants because of their success

Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,683,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have heard it the other way round, namely that AAs are jealous of African immigrants because of their success

That's what I said. Africans are the victims of AA jealousy

Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I was right all along. Africans dont look down upon you, you look down upon them. You are mad that they reject what you consider "being black", and because that they do you think that they should go back to where they came from. What you feel is no different from white people disliking african american culture.

Youre also pretty ignorant. For centuries, even until the the late 1950's practically all of Africa was colonized by the British. Do you know that America is one of the only country where people are required to learn only one language? Other countries you have to learn more than one. In most African countries english is/was the primary language because the British took over. They technically speak better English when they come over to America, it is just with an accent. English is our primary language because we were once colonized by England as well. Find yourself and learn to accept what they are about. If you do, it would only help your mindset. Life is to short too hate.

I know that they were colonized by England and France.
But that doesn't take away the fact that since the 60's,Africa is run mostly by...Africans.
So,it isn't the Europeans fault,you guys had 40 years to prove yourselves.
(Except South Africa)
So please,get off that high horse.

I still don't understand one bit how someone from a country where their people are the majorites have the nerve to look down on a black Americans that is less than 12% of the population in America

Btw,YOU need to learn history also.
Black americans weren't really free after 1865. The civil rights act was in 1965,around the same as some African countries became independent.
Just think,if it wasn't for them marching,you wouldn't be here to talk smack to them.

Guess who are among the richest blacks on Earth?
African Americans...they have come from such as ways since 1965.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 PM

Regarding "being black".
I thought it was Africans who rejected AA because Africans claim"they aren't pure".

Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 PM

So tell me,what priorities should AA get straight?

If you stop looking at the media,you will find successful black americans.
A sizable number of AA are middle class,despite what you heard or read.
More move into the ranks every year.

Meanwhile,I will tell you the priorities Africans should get straight....

Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 PM

233 posts, read 904,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
That's what I said. Africans are the victims of AA jealousy
Which African Americans?
1. In the hood?
2. Middle Class?
3. Wealthy?

There are Africans, Caribbeans and African Americans on various levels in American society, so there is no need for jealousy. Also, there maybe ~2 Million Africans within the ~40 Million Blacks in the US, so no need for jealousy. I believe that there are people, Black people, that would like to give life to this so-called jealousy.

I think the life of African Americans, living in the hood, is difficult to understand by people that were not raised in an impoverished environment. I think when people migrate to the US they have big dreams and some are able to maneuver through the US spider web without getting stuck and others aren't so lucky.

I think Africans can be very sweet, but I have met some with very poor attitudes, more so from women. I don't really know where the attitude is coming from, but I can easily brush it off and move forward with meeting more positive Africans. -Not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa