U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,439,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Given that that the majority of women in Ghana and Nigeria are Black, it stands to reason that you are likely to meet a women to have a long-term relationship with. You will be in entire countries filled with Black women.
But his exact words were "intelligent black woman". Given the average IQ in Ghana of 71-82 (source), the field will be considerably narrower than you suggest. The woman would have to be two standard deviations above the Ghana average to be slightly above average in America, so his target group is about 2% of the Ghana population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 AM

21,424 posts, read 19,323,714 times
Gee, do you really believe in that crap?! I guess someone with such an attitude should not go to Africa in the first place as they will only end up looking down on people and being a pain in the you know what to them...

Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,437,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
But his exact words were "intelligent black woman". Given the average IQ in Ghana of 71-82 (source), the field will be considerably narrower than you suggest. The woman would have to be two standard deviations above the Ghana average to be slightly above average in America, so his target group is about 2% of the Ghana population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Gee, do you really believe in that crap?! I guess someone with such an attitude should not go to Africa in the first place as they will only end up looking down on people and being a pain in the you know what to them...
IQ tests have their merits but I find the results for Ghana dubious. Ghana had a significant share of the puny amount of college graduates and professionals in Black Africa during colonialism. The Brits had nothing but positive things to say about how accultured Ghanaians were in comparison to other Black Africans they encountered.

Education is also very important in Ghana. I wonder to whom these tests are being administered to? Mostly Ghanaians in the Northern Regions?

In conclusion if he sticks to the major cities he should have no problem meeting intelligent women.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM

I don't think any non-retarded human has an IQ below 85 or 90. Many of those tests are made by people from the West for people from the West. As soon as you have any questions based on knowledge or education in there, it is no longer objective.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
Quote:
Gee, do you really believe in that crap?!
I believe what I see in carefully compiled and peer reviewed data, before I believe a forum poster who calls it crap in order to support his own politically correct prejudices about a continent he has never even visited.

In the USA, a person with an IQ between 50 and 70 is considered mildly impaired, capable of achieving school work about grade seven (reading and basic arithmetic) and capable of being gainfully employed and sustaining the basic requirements of independent living.

In early childhood, mild mental retardation (IQ 50–69, a cognitive ability about half to two-thirds of standard) may not be obvious, and may not be identified until children begin school. Even when poor academic performance is recognized, it may take expert assessment to distinguish mild mental retardation from learning disability or emotional/behavioral disorders. People with mild MR are capable of learning reading and mathematics skills to approximately the level of a typical child aged 9 to 12. They can learn self-care and practical skills, such as cooking or using the local mass transit system.[7] As individuals with mild mental retardation reach adulthood, many learn to live independently and maintain gainful employment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_retardation

Believe it or not, if you go to Equatorial Guinea (59, at the midpoint of the above and the lowest on the chart), you will find that the commerce and industry of the country is rolling right along, with the adult population in general taking care of business.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-02-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Well, I don't believe it because there are lots of African children in Portugal, mostly children from Angola and Mozambique, they attend normal schools, lead the same kinds of lives as their white Portuguese counterparts, who according to that table should be much more intelligent. If a difference in intelligence does not show in any way, a higher IQ would be a waste on the part of nature.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
Quote:
Well, I don't believe it because there are lots of African children in Portugal, mostly children from Angola and Mozambique, they attend normal schools, lead the same kinds of lives as their white Portuguese counterparts, who according to that table should be much more intelligent. If a difference in intelligence does not show in any way, a higher IQ would be a waste on the part of nature.
Turkish and Moroccan children in Netherlands scored only 85, compared to 103 for the country as a whole. Look at the chart comparison for Singapore, and the difference bertwen the IQ of Chinese and Malay children in Singapore. And in South Africa, at the difference between White and Black South Africans. Look at the numbers for Mexico, there is only one point difference for people in Mexico and Mexicans in the USA.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM

The differences are only based on cultural circumstances, not on ethnic group or race. Look at the difference between East and West Germans, or between the two values for the Congo. There is no ethnic difference in either case. Even within West Germany there are big differences between states, which have to do with differing school systems.

All humans have more or less the same potential.
Now, if a child doesn't attend a good school or their parents don't know how to stimulate their child's intellect, it will of course leave traces.
When a child growing up in a country far from home, it depends a lot on whether or not the child is fully integrated and treated equally. In places like Singapore people tend to mix little, the Tamils stick to themselves, the Chinese stick to themselves, ...
There are so many factors to consider, even things like the language the test is done in. German Turks in Germany for instance will score lower than ethnic Germans simply because the test is done in German rather than in Turkish. The language is also the reason for their inferior scholastic performance.
In South Africa whites have always had educational privileges, not to mention that whites still have better jobs and earn more, they can buy their kids computers and what not. White parents are on average still more educated, which influences the intellectual stimulation of their kids. However, I bet the gap has already been closed somewhat since the end of apartheid.

But we are way off-topic. As I said earlier, when a person has such views they will automatically disrespect people they really believe are less intelligent then they deem themselves, thus they shouldn't go to such places to begin with. Their presence will not be pleasant for anyone. Plus, even if such a man manages to find what they think is an unusually intelligent woman by African standards, he will not be able to hide his views forever and have to explain to his African wife why he thinks that way of her ethnic group.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,439,223 times
Quote:
Gee, do you really believe in that crap?!
Yes, I do believe in evolution.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,765,630 times
Some people can be pretty damn smart and not do so well on tests. I don't based ones intelligence purely on that. Asians often score better than whites on such tests, but that's just evolution, right.

The OP was asking a direct question lets stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or