U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM

21,374 posts, read 19,297,224 times

Advertisements

Depends on whether or not the author of the op believes Africans are more stupid than other ethnic groups. If he doesn't, which I assume and hope, then this whole discussion on intelligence is indeed pretty obsolete. After all, in order to find out whether someone is clever or stupid all it takes is a brief conversation, be it in Africa, the US or anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,759,112 times
When its off on a certain race doing better on IQ tests than another, I'd say that is off the original topic. Certainly there are intelligent women there, I didn't think that was a debatable point. But if you think it helps the OP, then by all means play on.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Depends on whether or not the author of the op believes Africans are more stupid than other ethnic groups. If he doesn't, which I assume and hope, then this whole discussion on intelligence is indeed pretty obsolete. After all, in order to find out whether someone is clever or stupid all it takes is a brief conversation, be it in Africa, the US or anywhere else.
It is pretty obvious what the OP means by "intelligent". Clearly, he does not, for his purposes, equate "intelligence" with the ability to run out into the Kalahari barefoot and empty handed and bring back a bushbok for dinner, even though, granted, that is a form of "intelligence", but one that even lions possess. Certainly, by "intelligent", he means (besides IQ), worldly and educated and familiar with the topics of conversation characteristic of western civilization, with a grasp of the sciences and humanities and arts.

If your life depended upon quickly finding someone who is clever to have a conversation with at the level of a young educated American, would you rather take your chances in Cambridge Massachusetts, or Okpoko, Nigeria? If IQ tests are culturally biased, then so is the cultural definition of 'intelligence', and our OP is using the word 'intelligent' in this culturally biased way, and Nigeria is not the ideal place for him to look for candidates that meet his expectations, as is statistically demonstrated by the IQ test scores on the linked chart, the authenticity of which I have no reason to dispute.

Another thing to be kept in mind, digressing from the intelligence issue, is that in West Africa, the Muslim population is significant, and there is no point (relationship-wise) in meeting a girl from a Muslim family, no matter how intelligent she is. And, there are still quite a lot of families who will expect a suitor to their daughter to pay for her with livestock, again regardless of how intelligent the girl is. But if the OP circulates mostly in the major cities near the coast, these factors become less likely to be impediments.

One also, when traveling to any country, should also be aware of the legal ramifications of making a romantic overture. You might find yourself either married or in court facing an expensive judgment for breach of promise.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-06-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,553,111 times
You can basically have any woman you want in Africa--married or not--if you are White and have the ability to form words.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Many people in the West also write in their personal ads that they are looking for an intelligent person, which means that obviously intelligence is not taken for granted in the West, either.

I do agree on the thing about Muslim women, it has been mentioned several times before in this thread.

Another thing to consider might be whether or not the Westerner is willing to settle down in Africa. After all, why should the woman leave her continent? She probably has family there...

Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
You can basically have any woman you want in Africa--married or not--if you are White and have the ability to form words.
That's nonsense.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 PM

"Certainly, by "intelligent", he means (besides IQ), worldly and educated and familiar with the topics of conversation characteristic of western civilization, with a grasp of the sciences and humanities and arts."

I'm not sure that is exactly what the OP does means. That's not really what I was looking for when I was looking. I was more interested in finding a gal with common sense, someone with a good sense of humor and a nice personality, with some similar interests. Like for instance a love of animals, that was one thing I looked for. Someone that enjoys the simple things not some superficial material girl type. I don't think most guys that look overseas are concerned about the woman's education level or her being fluent in the sciences, humanities and art. You can tell if someone is bright, articulate, and quick witted with just brief conversations. I've spoken to many bright young ladies that did not have a great deal of formal education, but who were very sharp and had depth of character. Most looking overseas are tired of western women, and seek someone that is more down to earth, not career minded or overly materialistic, and wanting a more simple lifestyle with more traditional husband and wife roles. When in a relationship or married to a person from another country, ya both are teaching the other about ones culture, history, food, and language too. Ya can certainly learn as much as you teach. It's very interesting and fun.

I agree with your reply above, Neuling.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,193,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
You must be thinking of Asia. lol. Asian women seem to have a serious preference for White men.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM

I would change it to this. You can basically have any trampy, user type of woman in any country--married or not--if you have the ability to form words and have lots of money.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,421,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
You must be thinking of Asia. lol. Asian women seem to have a serious preference for White men.
It's pretty universal. Although many Asian women seem fond of white guys. I went to Japan with some classmates. At a Tokyo nightclub the girls were pretty much all up on my white male friends. Now it could be they were dancing and having a good time. Heck I was too but I didn't get half the attention those guys were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or