U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,445,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Many people in the West also write in their personal ads that they are looking for an intelligent person, which means that obviously intelligence is not taken for granted in the West, either.

I do agree on the thing about Muslim women, it has been mentioned several times before in this thread.

Another thing to consider might be whether or not the Westerner is willing to settle down in Africa. After all, why should the woman leave her continent? She probably has family there...
Lol my guess is the reason why most African women would even consider marrying a white guy is to leave the continent.

To that end African American men don't fair too bad in West Africa either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM

51 posts, read 90,711 times
Hi guys ,

I am a German and met my wife during a four month internship in a hospital in Nigeria.she was one of the nurses there.

my advice for the op: you are on the right track.
- don't meet an African partner on the internet.always be in their County and take a much time as you can.
- the average West African woman wants to get desperately out if the country.so proove your partner.my wife is from a wealthy family and getting out was not of importance for her.
- there are many great people there, trust your intuition.say no, when you have a weird feeling.don't ask why you have that feeling, many things yo just don't understand there, but trust your feelings!
- when you meet a nice person ask yourself if you think she could be happy in your place.also ask yourself if you can prove education and job for her.some perspective

Generally:
- Nigeria is far far more dangerous than Ghana.if you haven't been on West Africa yet target Ghana.
- you will encounter lots of poverty.have in mind "there problems are not your problems"otherwise you well have a hard time there.

Ah two more things:
-woman usually marry with 25 there.so expect your fiancee to be younger maybe 21-24.
-don't go with a checklist (iq etc).listen to your heart

Sorry for that steno type text.I'm on the phone in bed and could say so much but the keyboard is slowing thoughts down.

Wishing you all the best

Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,768,424 times
"there problems are not your problems" And that my friend is the problem with the world.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
"there problems are not your problems" And that my friend is the problem with the world.
Hello Todd,
You are right and it sounds cruel.but have in mind that being integer and helpful is so much easier in industrial nations. During my stay in Nigeria i also visited Lagos several times.there we saw a man lying in the dust and people posing by.i sad to my fiancée that we have to check whether he is alive and DO something.she said no.i somehow just dragged her to the guy and we found he was alive. We didn't do much then. It was then when i learned what helping means in a industrialized country and I a poor country

There is no 911 in Lagos.if you manage to bring the person to a hospital they would admit him unless you pay the whole treatment free in advance.because there is no health insurance.

Calling the police? No one does that because all they do is too find a way to get money from you.

What would be cruel in an industrialized nation is unfortunately helpful in poor countries.or what would you do when you have an internship in West Africa for 6 months? Take the whole 50.000 usd from your savings and pay the treatment for the first 50 severe sick and unconscious you encounter.that might rake the Weeks. And what then?

I got the advice "their problems are not your problems"from a local person to relieve me and give me a guidance.i was asked everyday for sore money or help.everyday.

I still believe this is important for the op.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Hello Todd,
You are right and it sounds cruel.but have in mind that being integer and helpful is so much easier in industrial nations.

During my stay in Nigeria i also visited Lagos several times.there we saw a man lying in the dust and people posing by.i sad to my fiancée that we have to check whether he is alive and DO something.she said no.i somehow just dragged her to the guy and we found he was alive. We didn't do much then. It was then when i learned what helping means in a industrialized country and I a poor country.

There is no 911 in Lagos.if you manage to bring the person to a hospital they wouldnt admit him unless you pay the whole treatment free in advance.because there is no health insurance.

Calling the police? No one does that because all they do is to find a way to get money from you.

What would be cruel in an industrialized nation is unfortunately helpful in poor countries.or what would you do when you have an internship in West Africa for 6 months? Take the whole 50.000 usd from your savings and pay the treatment for the first 50 severe sick and unconscious you encounter? That might take three weeks. And what then?

I got the advice "their problems are not your problems"from a local person to relieve me and give me a guidance.i was asked everyday for money or help.everyday.

I still believe this is important for the op.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 AM

7 posts, read 9,852 times
I have never been to west Africa, but I can tell almost women in Africa are good (taking reference from my country Tanzania), but for a whitemen, you need to be careful not to land into a gold digger, in Africa, it is widely believed that once you get a whiteman either as a friend, a boyfriend or bussiness partner, then, it is the quickest way to get out of poverty,though, as I said earlier, there are a lot of good women out there, you need to find her carefully after getting into a country of your choice.
Also, you need to be sincere with her from the beggining that you are not after marriage, as we African women tend to believe that every relationship must result into marriage, sincerelity will serve you from the disturbances of her asking the time for marriage.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,768,424 times
ChMike, I understand what you mean more than you know as I was married to a gal from Tanzania at one time. My fiancee is in the Philippines also a country with many problems, with some 2 million street children living there. None the less, I have done what I could to help and continue to do so from afar. It's not going to change the entire world or help everyone, but I am doing something and will continue to do so. I think its better than turning a blind eye and doing nothing at all. You happened to be lucky enough to not have to live in poverty with nothing, your wife comes from a wealthy family. You probably have a bright future. Perhaps if she came from a poor family your experience there might have been different. Take from our posts what you will OP.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The difficulty will be sifting down through them all to find someone with whom you can have a genuine relationship.
I second that. While it might be much easier to find a girlfriend as a rich Westerner in a poor country it is a huge challenge in my opinion to build a longterm reliable partnership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky18606 View Post
I'm thinking of volunteering in either Ghana or Nigeria.
That is the way to go. Altough a friend of mine met her husband in Ruanda during travel and she was so lucky with him because he is a decent man (yet struggling so hard now to find Germany himself a home ).
If you spend time in one place than you would also meet the women who are not immediately in your face. Among the more silent women might be someone really good for buildng a longterm relationship.

Quote:
I don't know if women in certain countries are more easily or more willing to date white western men.
In South Nigeria it seemed to me that most of them are willing, but at the same time it is not custom for a woman to initiate contact. Meaning the women who contact one in first place might more likely be women who have some (monetary, fraud, visa) intentions... Just stay somehow alert for this.

Quote:
I'm not looking for sex I'm looking to meet intelligent black women for a long-term relationship if the opportunity presents itself.
A Swiss friend married a rural lady from a Thai village last summer. They are a nice loving couple. She has a very clear mind and I consider her as very intelligent. However she didnt go through a years long school training and now it is so hard for her to learn a language (she has to improve her english, learn german and then swiss german). And there are years of training ahead for her (profession etc). I see it also as responsibility to "build a home" for the foreign person, meaning provide training, profession etc. And with somebody with a profession it is easier...

Old 07-04-2017, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 370 times
How can I meet a African women before going over ther

Old 07-04-2017, 02:58 PM

2,344 posts, read 953,685 times
Quote:
Just curious I will be traveling soon to africa for a one-year break from my career. I am a single white Male from the United States and would be very interested in meeting a woman from West Africa. I'm thinking of volunteering in either Ghanna or Nigeria. I don't know if women in certain countries are more easily or more willing to date white western men. Any information from someone who has traveled to these areas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for sex I'm looking to meet intelligent black women for a long-term relationship if the opportunity presents itself.
You will not have any problem. It will probably be easy for you.

My experience in Angola was that there were more mixed couples there than I had ever seen in the United States, specifically white/european men with Angolan women.

Last edited by Tritone; 07-04-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or