U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:43 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,196,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We might not need to. If we get to be too much of a problem nature will have a way of sorting us out.
Of course. What happens to predators that overhunt their prey? Their numbers dwindle down until the population stabilizes. The same thing will happen to us. Technology just masks the inevitable. In the end, the planet wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 05:46 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We might not need to. If we get to be too much of a problem nature will have a way of sorting us out.
Right. The earth's biosphere is a unified life form as a whole with a self-protective mechanism and a survival instinct. Man is a disease. Antibodies are being deployed as we speak.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,414,188 times
All water is recycled. It's been in use for eons.

Our city's sewer water is recycled to be more pure than when it ran from our home faucets, but it's then sold to industry which in turn releases it to the atmosphere as steam. What industry doesn't buy is pumped into a creek that flows 50 miles to a lake. They can't pump it back into the city water supply, because drinking recycled water would be gross. We then pump water from wells near the lake and pipe it back to the city.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I don't believe the Earth is running out of water. Where would it go? We are contaminating our water, and certainly regions experience droughts, but water is not leaving our atmosphere. We need to learn better and cheaper ways to remove salt from sea water, and we'll have plenty of water forever.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 PM

5,330 posts, read 11,062,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I bet they have a few water coolers all around with big glass jugs of bottled water on top of them, though. Does anyplace else ban plastic bottled water in downtown God's gift to Mankind for flying anything?
If I remember correctly, they did mention that all over the office they had these free standing water coolers that took water from the local source, and filtered it and cooled it. So why use store bought water in bottles.
I assume those square tall thingys that have cold water AND hot water ?

As I mentioned, I have no idea what the result was of this *request/suggestion*.
Somewhere I think, when you do that (banning bottled water use), you get in the same area as the total ban on private gun ownership (aka, the last real freedom we have).

Speaking of filtered water in bottles for sale. I do remember some TV programme where they went to New York, and in some fancy restaurant *created* a water waiter ...
Then they took empty fancy water labeled bottles, took them in the back and filled them with regular tap water. Next they offered these fancy labels at some idiotic prices, and recorded it on video.
All I remember is the surprised look on those wannabee fancy diners when they were told they were drinking regular New York tapwater ...

BTW, reason I call it God's gift to Mankind for flying anything, is because I am a recreational Pilot and I fly a PPC, now. Utah, has very little *controlled* airspace, and so many areas with no human created obstructions ! In your private e-mail I have sent you some links of pics where I fly.

Too late to wish you Merry Christmas, but still a prosperous New Year to you my Friend !

Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I don't believe the Earth is running out of water. Where would it go? We are contaminating our water, and certainly regions experience droughts, but water is not leaving our atmosphere. We need to learn better and cheaper ways to remove salt from sea water, and we'll have plenty of water forever.
But the ratio of salt water to fresh water can shift. Water does leave our atmosphere, as rainfall. If human activity causes changes in the rainfall patterns, a transfer of fresh surface water into salt water bodies, would occur -- useless without the technology you described, which is a very high-energy process. Solar energy could be used, but required extensive fields of infrastructure, which is not yet cost effective. Nuclear would be another source of desalination energy, but there is too much fear of environmental consequences.

For every gallon of water consumed by the worlds people in their homes, ten galloons is used for agriculture, three gallons for industry, and a gallon evaporates from reservoirs. So the real effort needs to be directed toward more efficient water usage in agriculture and industry, both of which are profit-driven exercises aimed at marketing of products above the needs of subsistence. Think about this dichotomy: 70% of all water is used for irrigation, but 40% of all food produced worldwide is never eaten.

Here is an excellent site that outlines the world's water:
http://www.globalchange.umich.edu/gl...reshwater.html

Last edited by jtur88; 12-27-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM

19 posts, read 31,830 times
Wyonek is correct - the amount of water whether in solid, liquid, or gas phase is actually a constant. It can be very poorly distributed at times (floods, drought) or contaminated and in need of treatment to consume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or