U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM

4,907 posts, read 6,124,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
The more people keep going on about the racism of the past the more it keeps it going. The Asians saw the white skin as pure, the dark skin as the poor workers outside under the hot sun all day. It had more to do with class than anything else. The people that still see the white man as only the evil one haven't moved on from the past at all.

Neuling, thats one of the sickest stories ever. Seems the only way to end that practice is to pay the same amount to all.
I agree with the class statement. Most women of the upper classes protected their skin from the sun, indicating they didn't have to work. But, as was said, hasn't that been around forever ? The women in Japan painted their faces dead white in the upper classes, long before contact with the west. When I was in Cambodia, the guide commented on the darkness of the Cambodians as happening when the kings that built Angor Wat began marrying with the darker skinned Indian royalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,964,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is happening all over the world,Asia,Africa,and Latin America.
What do all those continents have in common? Colonization by Europeans.
I have read plenty of poetry pre colonial days from cultures that praised dark hair and eyes,and dark skin.

But these people are forgetting something. Their features still give it away that they are African.
African features and white skin don't mix. So they aren't fooling anyone.
LOL well, a lot of these people are now wealthy enough to get straightened hairstyles and plastic surgery. So they can have the skin, and all the trimmings.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 AM

74 posts, read 171,540 times
77% of Nigerian women use skin-lightening products? I thought they also say that 80% of Nigerians live on less than 1 dollar a day. How are these women able to afford skin-lightening luxuries? LMAO.

Also skin bleachers are held in contempt in Nigerian society so this figure is just bogus.

Dodgy story, but it's Africa where everyone assumes the worst so this one should go by smoothly without a raucous.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,768,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
77% of Nigerian women use skin-lightening products? I thought they also say that 80% of Nigerians live on less than 1 dollar a day. How are these women able to afford skin-lightening luxuries? LMAO.

Also skin bleachers are held in contempt in Nigerian society so this figure is just bogus.

Dodgy story, but it's Africa where everyone assumes the worst so this one should go by smoothly without a raucous.
Whats dodgy about the articles? Would you say the WHO is a dodgy organization? The second story is written by a freelance writer of Ghanaian ancestry. Do you think she assumes the worst regarding Africa or believes this to not a serious problem? If you think she is inaccurate write to her, she lists her email address. This topic has been discussed in many Nigerian periodicals and on the Nairaland forum. While you may not agree with the percentages, are you denying it is a problem in some African countries? In their quest to look like Beyonce or Halle Berry some Jamaicans are using toothpaste, curry powder, milk powder, household bleach and cornmeal to lighten their skin. There is a problem in many parts of the world with people using bleaching products.

I don't understand your "everyone assumes the worst" comment. You seem to assume everyone is an Africa hater.

Report on “Skin Lightening” in Nigeria: Battabox Enlightens Nigerians on the Dangers & Side Effects of Skin Lightening Products | Bella Naija

Here is the WHO pdf document, Mercury in Skin Lightening Products.
http://www.who.int/ipcs/assessment/p...cury_flyer.pdf

Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
This is the title of a recent BBC news article regarding the use of skin bleaching products in Africa. I find it very sad that people do this. And isn't it funny that people that are white wish they were darker and continue to tan despite what it can do to the skin. In the photo, the woman who is a musician has used expensive bleaching products. She has 2 attractive darker children, what message does that send to them as they grow up? That they are not OK as they are. She can liken it to getting a nose job or breast enhancement, but this is something much more deep rooted. I'm one that does find black is beautiful, I find darker women more attractive. I don't think she is more attractive lighter or find her color more appealing. Some will go to great lengths to use these products despite warnings of the chemicals used in the formulas and the hazards of long term use. To feel so inferior you don't care if you damage your skin and looks long term, its a says much about history and the present day. Who are they comparing themselves to? Celebrities and others they perceive as being wealthy. The big name companies are making sizable profits, they have no ethics regarding what they sell, 10 billion dollars globally by 2015. Nigeria leads the world with the highest percentage (77%) of women using skin-lightening products according to the WHO. Governments needs to ban these products completely just for the real health problems that can occur. And those bleaching their children, that's just not right at all. I think its a topic worth some discussion, as it represents both health and societal issues. Though I don't want this thread turning into a racial rant. If you wish to contribute please be civil and keep to the topic of the thread.

BBC News - Africa: Where black is not really beautiful

This second article is actually better than the first.
Skin Whitening is a Self-Denying Legacy of Colonialism | Think Africa Press

Beauty in Nigeria: Lighter shades of skin | The Economist
The generation from say 30s on up have been indoctrinated inside and outside of the contintent of Africa. In Africa you are GENERALLY not taught African history. You are not taught the accomplishments of African people. You are taught that Europeans have done everything and Africans were living in huts and killing each other, until Whites came and liberated them from "darkness". Then you have Vogue, W and Elle magazines showing beauty as white women. What do you expect that to do to someones psyche? It breeds a sense of inferiority.

In Africa, in grade school you are taught European history, NOT African history. Wrap your mind around that, quit crazy is it not? You are not taught that Egypt was a black African civilization that started in Northern Sudan and soon took over what is now Egypt. You are not taught about Kush, Aksum, Songhai, Ancient Ghana, the Mandinka Empire, Edo Kingdom, Oyo Kingdom or Bamum Kingdoms. You are not taught that the Moors are a bunch of black amazighs from Morocco and Mauritania who went and created one of the largest empires ever, that spread civilization into Europe during its (Europe's) dark age. You are not taught about the universities that existed in Djenne, Timbuktu or the Classical African University that existed in Guinea that taught classical african sciences.

You are not taught about that Africans have writing systems as old or older than the European ONE (the latin based), which is actually based off the Phoenician script, which is based off the Egyptian Script. Examples of the indigenous african scripts are Nsibidi, Adinkra, Tifinagh, Bagam script, Vai and Mende scripts. Now if you research it, naturally the Eurocentrics will try to say they were invented in the 1900s and thats a lie. In Africa the scripts are associated with secret societies, and as such generally were not used outside of the secret societies halls of learning. Research Poro and Komo for a idea of how these societies worked. The first European to see the Bagam script wrote about it in the Royal African Society journal (a european publication) in the early 1900s. Do you know, when he sent the script to the editor, the editor refused to publish the actual script! The problem is, this script is ancient and some of it looks very close to what we call the "latin script". That forms a problem for eurocentric "scholars" because Latin script writers had no presence in that kingdom. So either the script had its start in Africa (which it did) or they (Africans and Europeans) magically came up with the same characters. For more information on writing check out this site No. 390: Writing < be sure to listen to the recording. I think you might need real player to listen.

My point is, we Africans (at home and in the diaspora) are sick mentally. Until real African history starts to be taught and embraced and a return to classical african culture, knowledge and governance starts to be reapplied, we are going to continue to see these sick displays. Africans also need to start entering fields of anthropology and related fields and telling our own story. Leaving it to non africans is always going to end up with them trying to insert themselves into the picture. For instance, I was reading a book on ancient Egypt a year ago (It was too eurocentric so I had to stop reading after awhile). In the book, the guy says "we know now that Egypt was a African civilization, but also there were other outsiders in the kingdom early on". Well there were non Romans living in Rome when it sprang up, yet, do we see them attributing Rome's rise to anyone else other than the indigenous people? The same is true of Greece, there was clearly African presence early on there, and in their (Greek writers) own works, they even say that people came from the outside, yet Europeans do not give any credence to outside influence. Yet when it comes to African kingdoms these people work extra hard to try and find some outside influence to credit, which is laughable.

So we need to start to rethink the cultural, educational and governmental institutions in Africa. We need to do just like the Europeans did when they formed Europe (which isn't a very old concept). THey looked to their "classical" civilizations i.e. Greece and Rome to form what they have now. We need to look to Egypt, Kush, Ta Pemui etc and study them and use them to re-establish the African identity. THen I think we will start to see these sick displays like bleaching skin go away. We also need to start our own media showing African beauty. There is a magazine called Arise that is doing this, but we need more! We need more African (both on the continent in the diaspora) making media (films etc) showing Africans in a positive light, and showing true african beauty. For example, African men generally like fuller figured women and generally speaking, many african women pride themselves on their fullness. Well, these things need to be reflected in our fashion too. Europeans like thin women, and thats fine, nothing wrong with that. THey show that in their media and thats also fine. However we need to do the same to show OUR cultural values!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,845 times
During my vacation in Egypt I observed this phenomenon as well, the girls and ladies have dark hands, but white faces! I personally don't find it attractive, rather a sort of "clown effect", but I was told that the men like fair-skin women, that's why they tend to use such bleaches. How little they know about the effects on their skin! And it's even widely advertised in TV!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times
Indians talking about this:

Why are Indians obsessed with fairness? - YouTube

Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 AM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
My point is, we Africans (at home and in the diaspora) are sick mentally. Until real African history starts to be taught and embraced and a return to classical african culture, knowledge and governance starts to be reapplied, we are going to continue to see these sick displays. Africans also need to start entering fields of anthropology and related fields and telling our own story.
I agree that we need more knowledge of our African history but we need to make sure that we're teaching accurate African history. I've seen too much pseudo history being put out there by African history experts like Clyde Winters,Ivan Van Sertima and those trying too hard to connect every black west African tribe to ancient Egypt. But that's another thread...

Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I agree that we need more knowledge of our African history but we need to make sure that we're teaching accurate African history. I've seen too much pseudo history being put out there by African history experts like Clyde Winters,Ivan Van Sertima and those trying too hard to connect every black west African tribe to ancient Egypt. But that's another thread...
What makes you think that what they are saying is incorrect? I have read Van Sertima's work and I have never seen him claim "every" kingdom in West Africa is related to Ancient Egypt. However, what makes you think even some of them were not? Before you start claiming certain scholars are "trying too hard", you should first become a linguist. Study Niger-Congo language family. Then study Mtu Ntr and then see if linguistically there is a match (If you read the Egyptologist Cheik Anta Diop and Theophile Obenga, you will see there clearly is). Then you need to learn West African history. For example, were the people currently in West Africa there, prior to 500 B.C.? If not, where did they come from? What proof is there? Are their cultural links (between ancient Kemet and president day West Africa)? Also, what do you know about the DNA of ancient Egyptian mummies, who did they cluster with? Was their a relation DNA wise?

It SHOULD take a lot more, than just unmitigated opinion, to dismiss someone's work who has spent a heck of a lot more time, than you or I researching primary sources to come to certain conclusions.

I don't mean to be rude or dismissive, but so often, Africans have this idea, that if some Anglo isn't saying it, then it isn't true or too far fetched. I know that, from what I have read from Van Sertima, that he isn't the first or only one to draw these conclusions. He also provides tons of footnotes to back up his claims, have you read those? Have you investigated it? Googling wont cut it, you need to get the books and sift through them. These is also a professor from the University of Madrid's egyptology department that seems to agree with the Diop/Van Sertima/Obenga findings and again they aren't the only ones. When I have a chance I will get the name of the professor from Madrid.

I will tell you, most of the people in present day west africa were not there in 500 b.c.. Prior to 500 B.C. you see large populations of Btwa or what we have come to call "pygmies" living through out west africa. It isn't until the influx of Niger-Congo speakers, that you see these "pygmies" get absorbed into the these new populations or they move further into the forest belt. So now you have to figure out, if prior to 500 B.C. these people were not in West Africa, where were they? I have seen some foolish people claim they were living in the Sahara, but that's impossible, the Sahara could not sustain large populations in 500 B.C. it had gone dry by then. Some groups say their origins lie in the MIddle East like the Yoruba and Hausa. Its possible, because there were and are black populations in the Middle East back then and today. We know that from eye witness accounts. My point is, don't be so quick to dismiss, unless you have THOROUGHLY researched it yourself.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM

5,196 posts, read 4,681,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
And one I wouldn't mind joining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or