Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
oh, please. I am white and I know I have not had your experiences in being black but, totally believe we are moving past this kind of thing and we will, if people will let go of the old prejudices, black and white.
When African, Asian, and Latina woman no longer feel the need to mutilate themselves through skin bleaching, then things will have changed. Skin bleaching is big business, and racism keeps it going. As long as women feel as though pale skin with lead to a better life, then skin bleaching will remain profitable. That is the system that is in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How do you know this?

This current day obsession with lightness is more than likely the results of white domination of the world since the colonial period.
Maybe he/she has "good" friends of other ethnicities. Look at India, Japan, Thailand, etc. etc. They all value light skin before TV and even thousand years ago before they ever seen a "white" person.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
It isn't funny or confusing. Most people around the world agree that the most attractive skin tone is light brown. People whose skin is naturally white or dark brown are both striving for the same goal.
If you mean light brown as a light skinned black or an Indian or a darker toned Mexican, the answer is NO. The most desired skin tone is a slightly tanned European (white) or very light tone like an East Asian.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM

72,994 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It seems to be that the blame for this self esteem issue is always placed on colonialism. The truth is that most cultures of the world have valued lighter features for all recorded time. I have light brown/dark blonde hair and I even highlight it to make it look lighter (It looks very good btw. lol). Colonialism had no bearing on my mind, nor do I have any jealousy towards people who have lighter hair than I. I just want to make myself look good.

I don't think there is anything wrong about wanting to change someone's appearance. The concern I would have in this situation is that these chemicals that bleach skin are very dangerous. One of my Dominican friends has an aunt that is blind due to overuse of skin bleaching agents.

'Light is in' is probably here to stay, as it has always been. Perhaps rather than try in vain to change people's attitudes towards this we should try to make attaining lighter features a safer process.
Highlights are one thing. Bleaching your skin is deliberately trying to look like you're of a different race. That was a product of colonialism. Africans were not trying to lighten their skin until colonialism came. It is a product of it. Black was not seen as "bad" until colonialism came.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
A couple of days ago I watched a report on something that is even more disturbing. Seems some women in South Africa are deliberately drinking dangerous stuff in order to give birth to handicapped children, for whom they get much more support from the social security system
Found some sources in English as well, for instance:
Horrifying story of pregnant South Africans who are deliberately binge drinking... so they get more welfare for the babies they harm | Mail Online

Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
The more people keep going on about the racism of the past the more it keeps it going. The Asians saw the white skin as pure, the dark skin as the poor workers outside under the hot sun all day. It had more to do with class than anything else. The people that still see the white man as only the evil one haven't moved on from the past at all.

Neuling, thats one of the sickest stories ever. Seems the only way to end that practice is to pay the same amount to all.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Same thing in southern Europe. Up until recently being pale meant you belonged to a higher social class as you did not have to work on the fields.

(Yes, it is sick. SA is already loosing lots of people because of AIDS, and now there might be a generation of handicapped people in the making )

Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM

I read a National Geographic magazine from the 1970s. One article was about South Africa. It was obviously during the apartheid regime. There was a picture of a large billboard sign with an advertisement for AMBI skin lightening cream.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
The more people keep going on about the racism of the past the more it keeps it going. The Asians saw the white skin as pure, the dark skin as the poor workers outside under the hot sun all day. It had more to do with class than anything else. The people that still see the white man as only the evil one haven't moved on from the past at all.
I never said anything about seeing the White man as only evil. I was talking specifically about Africa's situation. Asia had a different situation. In Sub-Saharan Africa, dark skin was not seen as a bad thing. For Asia, lighter skin being preferred was in the culture beforehand. For Africa, it came after colonialism arrived.

Quote:
Neuling, thats one of the sickest stories ever. Seems the only way to end that practice is to pay the same amount to all
That isn't all. There are some people(not the majority though) who believe that "having sex with a virgin" or "taking a shower" would cure AIDS.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

Neuling, thats one of the sickest stories ever. Seems the only way to end that practice is to pay the same amount to all.
British colonialism had a huge impact on the way dark-skinned Asians were and are viewed and treated. Indians have taken skin bleaching to out of this world levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa