U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Reputation: 9478

Advertisements

With whatever other problems Africa might have, appears there is also a 'Land Grab'. Many people from other nations - China, India, Europe, North America...are buying up land, for agricultural purposes, to export.

Leaving less land for locals, etc. Curious how many other people know about this, and anything they might know as well. (I'm heard of it somewhat, but reading more about it recently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 8 days ago)
 
47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Reputation: 15313
I don't know what to say at this moment. Will the local population benefit from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know what to say at this moment. Will the local population benefit from it?
Definitely not. Most are displaced and lose their lands. The gov't prospers immensily though, there could be a trickle-down for the locals making the big deals and profiting somewhere from it.

But, by and large, the poor will be displaced, and have less food available. Most of the land is being bought up, for large farming, to export to other markets, who can pay the higher prices.

I did see a case in Ethiopia, where the gov't made the deal, (not individual people). That might be more common. Gov't sells the land to the foreign entity, locals displaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 AM
 
65 posts, read 65,069 times
Reputation: 40
What is needed is good policy to ensure it is the local people who benefit and not the government.Especially if the leased land is community land.
The problem is with the corruption and bad/selfish leaders in most African countries, i can only see this working against the local communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
 
302 posts, read 724,245 times
Reputation: 323
In Ethiopia the government owns all of the land so they don't have this sort of problem. Not sure how it works elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 8 days ago)
 
47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Reputation: 15313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Definitely not. Most are displaced and lose their lands. The gov't prospers immensily though, there could be a trickle-down for the locals making the big deals and profiting somewhere from it.

But, by and large, the poor will be displaced, and have less food available. Most of the land is being bought up, for large farming, to export to other markets, who can pay the higher prices.

I did see a case in Ethiopia, where the gov't made the deal, (not individual people). That might be more common. Gov't sells the land to the foreign entity, locals displaced.
This has been the history of Africa. The regular people never really benefit from anything. It happened during colonialism, and it happens again in the regular times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,680 posts, read 8,481,630 times
Reputation: 7034
China in particular is buying up whole swaths of Africa ... but I guess it's ok since it's not the evil White man.

It's actually strange, the Chinese are building these huge cities in remote areas of Angola:
Footage shows brand new Angolan city designed for 500,000 lying empty | Mail Online
^ this city can accommodate 500,000 people.

Over 800,000 Chinese have moved to Africa in the last decade to take control. But hey, who cares right? As long the imperialist White men stay out ... Africa will soon discover that the White man was a better deal than the Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 8 days ago)
 
47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Reputation: 15313
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
China in particular is buying up whole swaths of Africa ... but I guess it's ok since it's not the evil White man.

It's actually strange, the Chinese are building these huge cities in remote areas of Angola:
Footage shows brand new Angolan city designed for 500,000 lying empty | Mail Online
^ this city can accommodate 500,000 people.

Over 800,000 Chinese have moved to Africa in the last decade to take control. But hey, who cares right? As long the imperialist White men stay out ... Africa will soon discover that the White man was a better deal than the Chinese.
Actually, when Africa was ruled by European powers, the land often went to White land owners. Africans were the labor and Whites were the ones doing the administrating. And consider this. When King Leopold II of Belgium had the Congo, 10 million people died under his rule, and many had their hands chopped off.

The be honest, the one major difference is that instead of the government doing the ruling, corporations are coming in. Honestly, there is not much of a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 AM
 
3,149 posts, read 3,084,775 times
Reputation: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
China in particular is buying up whole swaths of Africa ... but I guess it's ok since it's not the evil White man.

.
Interesting... they're everywhere actually. We live in Southern California and would be able to afford a condo theoretically, but the cash buyers are snatching up all the available properties and inventory is low as it is.
The real estate agent we were working with says her company had to open a separate office with Chinese speaking employees to accommodate the Chinese buyers! China has accumulated a lot of wealth (at least their .00001%) and they're on a real estate spending spree all over the shop.
Seems in the U.S. everything's "made in China"... We buy their products, they buy our land.

But wow... it's really enlightening to read about the situation in Africa. Especially tragic if people are actually displaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
 
6,555 posts, read 9,068,716 times
Reputation: 2837
Who was owning these lands before the foreigners got it?

I know that in many poor countries like those in Africa there have long been problems with unclear,undocumented property ownership. African legal systems aren't as developed as they should be. So I wonder how much of these land grabs are the results of weak and unclear land ownership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top