U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,755,078 times

Advertisements

Everything I know about Algeria, I learned from reading Camus.

Well, not really... but his novels do provide some useful background on the country toward the end of French rule.

Speaking of which, one of my French teachers in high-school was a pied-noir (literally "black foot,") the nickname used by the French to refer to the Algerian-French who fled Algeria upon independence. He never talked about Algeria much, though.

And finally, the Algerian war led indirectly to the fall of the Fourth French Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM

508 posts, read 670,144 times
Algeria could and should be an expat haven

Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,122,449 times
I enjoyed what info there was on Algeria....it has always seemed an exotic, mysterious country. Some of you must have done extensive traveling. I admire that and respect your input. Nice thread, hopefully, more will come.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM

832 posts, read 1,380,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Algeria could and should be an expat haven
I agree. From what I can tell from the movies and pictures, Algeria has some beautiful geography, especially on the Mediterranean coast. I really want to see it for myself. I wonder if their coastal cities are getting built up with condos like similar areas in Morocco and other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I enjoyed what info there was on Algeria....it has always seemed an exotic, mysterious country. Some of you must have done extensive traveling. I admire that and respect your input. Nice thread, hopefully, more will come.
I have not offically visited Algeria but I am very curious about the place. I have stayed in Morocco on several occasions and plan to go back for more, thanks the in-laws! My husband grew up in an area extremely close to the Algerian border; as it is all desert, nomads and other travelers cross the border frequently without incident. One night we camped in an area I was told to be Algeria--of course I can't tell the difference but people around there know where is what. Fifty miles or so from that location is an Algerian city where, if we got closer, we would have been stopped by government officials like at most border crossings.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM

4,654 posts, read 3,711,803 times
So many misconceptions,misinterpretations and false informations about Algeria,in particular from rayah318,who sound strangely like a moroccan.

Algeria is the largest country in Africa and in the Arab world by area,and the 10th in the world.

Algeria is more than 3 times the size of Texas,Algeria has the largest dry desert in the world.

Algeria and Jamaica got their independence the same year : 1962.

St Augustine,the famous christian philosopher and theologist was born in Algeria (Thaghast),a city in Florida,in the US bears his name.

Clementine orange was born in Algeria in 1902,in Misserghin.

The parasite of malaria was discovered in Constantine,Algeria in 1880

Some other facts about Algeria :

Couscous is algerian national dish.

The largest city and capital is Algiers with about 5 million people

The highest weather temperature that was ever recorded in Algeria is 60.5 celsius

The only people born in Algeria to have won Nobel Prizes were Albert Camus (Literature 1957) and Claude Cohen-Tannoudji (Physics, 1997).

Camus played as goalkeeper in the football team for the University of Algiers, which may therefore be the world’s only university to have had a Nobel Prize-winning goalkeeper in its team.

St Augustine of Hippo (354-430) was the most famous Algerian of all. Hippo is now Annaba.

Over a million Algerians were killed in the fight for independence from France in 1962

Algeria has the biggest oat market in Africa

The Sahara Desert covers 80 per cent of the country.

As Sahara is the Arabic for desert, it is technically called the Desert Desert

Algerian singer Cheb Mami sang with Sting on 1999 hit Desert Rose

The National holiday, called Revolution Day, is on November 1

The fennec fox (or desert fox) is the national animal of Algeria

Algeria is the largest exporter of propane/butane in the world

Aleria has the world’s 5th largest reserves of natural gas and is the 2nd largest exporter.

Algeria is the area used to be known as Numidia

Former French footballer and World Player of the Year, Zinedine Zidane has Algerian heritage

Three languages are spoken. Arabic, French and Berber

In the 1800's Algeria was notorious as a base for slave traders and pirates

Situated in the Ahaggar mountains, Mount Tahat is the country's highest peak at 3,003m

The country is known for Bertolli's olive oil despite it having an Italian background

Unlike in other Islamic nations, women in Algeria have gained more prominent status in the society. Women make up 60% of Algeria’s judges, 70% of the lawyers, and 60% of the student population. What’s more, they have a bigger household income contribution than men

Of the total land area of Algeria, only 12% is inhabited

One of the world's most famous fashion designer Yves St Laurent was born in Oran,Algeria.

Frantz Omar Fanon 20 July 1925 – 6 December 1961) was a Martinique-born, French Creole and algerian,psychiatrist,philosopher,revolutionary and writer is buried in Ain El Karma,Algeria

The famous movie Tarzan with Johnny Weissmuller 1932,was partially shot in the Gardens of El-Hamma,in Algiers

The writer Apuleius was from Algeria in the years 125-180 AD. He wrote the Metamorphoses, otherwise known as The Golden Ass, believed to be the oldest Latin novel to survive completely. It’s the story of a person that gets changed into a donkey and its following experiences.

The "rock art" that was found at Tassili-n-ajjer appears to date back to 6000 B.C. The art appears to show the area as green and lucious rather than dry and the hot desert it is today

During 2010,"The battle of Algiers", the movie was ranked #6 in Empire magazine's "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema".
The movie produced considerable political controversy in France and was banned there for five years.
The sympathetic treatment of the FLN in The Battle of Algiers often dismayed former French colonists of Algiers and French army troops.

Hassiba Boulmerka won a gold medal in the 1500m race at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.she's the first woman in the arab and muslim world to win gold on the 1500m competition

Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,440,557 times
One of the best films IMHO is "The Battle of Algiers".

Old 10-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One of the best films IMHO is "The Battle of Algiers".
That's right.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Everything I know about Algeria, I learned from reading Camus.

Well, not really... but his novels do provide some useful background on the country toward the end of French rule.

Speaking of which, one of my French teachers in high-school was a pied-noir (literally "black foot,") the nickname used by the French to refer to the Algerian-French who fled Algeria upon independence. He never talked about Algeria much, though.

And finally, the Algerian war led indirectly to the fall of the Fourth French Republic.

Albert Camus has only lived the colonial era,he has never known independent Algeria,he describes Algeria from the "pieds noirs" perspective,in his books,native algerians have no place or say.

I would suggest to read Kateb Yacine,Malek Haddad,Frantz Fanon,Anouar Benmalek,Rachid Boujedra,Yasmina Khadra,Rachid Mimouni.Ahlam Mosteghanemi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa