U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times

Advertisements

Pistorius Takes the Stand, Apologizes to Girlfriend's Family - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,763,555 times
Has anyone been watching this trial? I watched a bit yesterday, OP's accounts of that night don't add up to an accident in my book. Today he should be cross examined. It's live from SABC news and on Youtube via sabcdigitalnews.

I'm more appalled at the Dewani case. Finally being returned only to start with his supposed illness again. He is straight on to the hospital for "treatment" and even in the jail he was supposed to have his own cell with hot and cold running water. Not something the rank and file prisoner gets. And their agreement is if he isn't fit for trial within 18 months he gets to go back to the UK! Just watch he will play this so he will never be fit to stand trial. They wouldn't be so soft with someone from the Cape Flats or Soweto. And look at the costs to the people to bring him back. He would have never gotten out of the country without paying off people along the way.

There is an extreme backlog of cases, many sit for year waiting for trial. But they don't matter, they aren't rich. Certainly there is always preference given to those with power, connections and wealth.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:07 AM

Cleared of murder charges but not yet out of hot water:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/wo...dict.html?_r=0

Old 09-11-2014, 08:29 AM

I'm very disappointed in this judge and the outcome, but I can't say I'm surprised given he is a celebrity. He lied and lied and that's all he did. Just like OJ. It's not the color its the money in your pocket that makes the difference. The celebrity is like royalty, people are such fools to give such an inflated status to these people. And in many cases these types are vile morally bankrupted people. But OJ had fans too and so does this jerk.

The intruder story was a simple minded fable he came up with due to crime in the country. If one fears an intruder they first locate their loved one, they retreat to another room and call police and complex security. Certainly one would want to make certain there was not a loved one in the bathroom before firing 4 rounds into the door. He knew damn well she was in there. Given how the shots were fired he would have heard her fall after the first one, still he kept firing. In a rage the roided athlete grabs his gun. His intention was to kill her. He's a disgusting person. I thought the prosecution did well from what I saw of it. And the defense seemed to struggle as did OP the liar. He may serve some time, but not nearly what he deserves. Her family looked so very tired and sickened by it all. I was hoping for justice, but that's not going to happen now.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:07 AM

24,816 posts, read 6,174,478 times
Just his snivelling, whiny voice was enough for me. Full of self pity. He had shown lack of control with guns in the past. The girls parents must be disgusted at the verdict.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:44 PM

I watched a little of the pre-sentence hearing today. It made me too sick to watch for long. The recommendation for community service for a crime like this is just a disgusting slap in the face to the family. If this had been some poor guy he would already be in Westville doing a long stretch for murder. This is as much a farce as the OJ trial was.

Then that other celebrity, Molema 'Jub Jub' Maarohanye, that ran over 6 kids, killing 4 and leaving the other 2 with brain damage only got 8 years. There are definitely two justice systems, one for the rich and the other for the average or poor person. A child's life isn't worth much it seems, I find that heartbreaking. It's so unfair to the victims and their families. Just another kick in the groin after the loss or great injury to their child. It makes me sick and furious. In both cases I'd like to see some street justice when the opportunity presents itself. If I was the dad of one of those kids that's what I would be planning.

How can one heal in the least bit when the criminal gets a slap on the wrist sentence. I think it would certainly make it harder for both these kid's families and for Reva's family. It's no wonder people have no faith in the system, why should they.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:21 AM

Well he is going to jail.

BBC News - Oscar Pistorius given five years for Reeva Steenkamp death

Old 10-21-2014, 06:01 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,582,834 times
he ll be out under house arrest in months..I always thought the judge had a soft spot for him but had to give him time or there would have been uproar..

Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Of course she had a soft spot for him that's why she found him guity of the lesser charge. Anyone that would believe his story is a total moron. He will be out in 10 months they say. Too bad 5 years doesn't really mean 5 years. Not much of a punishment for killing someone in a bathroom cubicle. I couldn't believe her family saying they were satified, how could they possibly be satified with that sentence, even if he served it all? It just shows that their justice system is as warped as ours.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,472,550 times
Yep! I think so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or