Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,531,114 times

Advertisements

I doubt given his public profile that he'll be in a typical South African jail cellblock (where run-of-the-mill white prisoners are targeted for violence/rape). He'd most likely be segregated from the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Most murders never end up prosecuted in SA. But this is a high profile case and if the evidence is there, which it looks like it is, then they will make an example of him.

As it stands right now, if all of this is true how it went down with the cricket bat and all, then he needs to do hard time. I really don't care about his living conditions. That should be the least of anyones worries.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM

837 posts, read 2,066,345 times
Interesting points, Opsimathia. Is he able to plead insanity due to the past trauma? Does South African law even allow for insanity pleads?

Today's reports indicate that Oscar may have believed Reeva still had feelings for her ex-boyfriend, an all-star Rugby player by the name of Francois Hougaard. Evidence from Reeva's iPad (e.g. messages) may be used against him in the trials.

Huffington Post
NY Daily News

If jealousy was indeed the motive, it may explain the neighbors' reports of domestic unrest in the Pistorious home leading up to the murder.

Oscar Pistorious is also saying that he thought Reeva was an intruder in the home. Unless the reports from last week were incorrect, didn't he say that he wasn't present during the murder? Perhaps I mis-read?

Regardless of why he shot Reeva, accidental or not, Reeva is still deceased and Oscar has dug quite a hole for himself.

On a somewhat related note, this is a prime example of why there is a heated debate about gun control laws over here in America. Domestic incidences like the Oscar Pistorious situation reiterate why I think firearms in the household are dangerous. However, laws don't prevent people from illegally obtaining firearms, and going back to the Oscar situation, he could have easily beaten her to death with a frying pan (or other household item).

Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 AM

43,299 posts, read 43,957,600 times
On NBC news it was just announced that Oscar Pistorious will be granted bail.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM

823 posts, read 1,958,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
On NBC news it was just announced that Oscar Pistorious will be granted bail.

Yeah, and some guy of his team screamed "yesssssss" like if they were in a football stadium.

I don´t think this guy will even go jail, it's a shame, money trumps justice, like OJ, Polanski, etc, etc.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,833,763 times
I think he's going to get off. The situation is such that there is room for reasonable doubt about his intent. Combine that with fears of violent crime in SA, and the dude might just get off. Personally, I think he did it. But what he did doesn't matter - it's what can be proven or disproven.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 16,369,891 times
From what I have seen thru the years of these high profile type cases. The media makes it into a TV show. Sort of like a reality TV Show. In the end these celebrities end up going free. I suspect that will be the same scenario in this case also. Mr Pistorius probably will be set free, when all is said and done with his trial.

I feel he was well aware of what he was doing when his girlfriend was killed. I'm sure many in the legal profession also feel that way. However and unfortunately the law doesn't always feel the same way. Even when everything investigated points to the fact the person committed murder. Very strange is the legal process at least in the USA. Lets hope So African Law is more reasonable and goes after the absolute truth.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM

24,204 posts, read 16,884,032 times
I just heard he received bail so he won't have to wait out his trial in jail.
I heard yesterday that South Africa does not have country club prisons like the US does for its' celebrity law breakers. The interviewee also said that he would not be allowed into what was said to be a ridiculously over crowded prison with his prosthetic legs because they would certainly be taken from him and used as weapons. The prisons were described as so over crowded that he probably wouldn't be able to operate a wheelchair to get around very well either. I would say they would have to put him in a special area.
Pretty sad to have fallen so far in such a short time.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,949,261 times
The average guy on a 1st degree murder charge wouldn't be getting bail. Yes, money trumps justice.

Actually I'm much more disturbed about other things I read in the Cape Town newspaper.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,652,723 times
He's disabled...and famous...so allowances will be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa