Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

830 posts, read 1,662,731 times

Advertisements

Mostly I care about North Africa, especially Morocco, but I would like to hear about travel to other regions too. Just wondering if the travelers on CD had better methods than I do! I'm curious about airlines, cities, layovers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,534,581 times
We used to live in Uganda and my family in the US (MI) visited us there. They flew Emirates (our favourite airline) to another US airport then on to Dubai and spent the night, then on to Uganda. Morocco of course would be much closer.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM

8,996 posts, read 10,439,802 times
Several airlines fly direct from the US to Africa. Delta has nonstops from the US to Dakar, Accra, Lagos, and Johannesburg. Royal Air Maroc goes nonstop from JFK to Casablanca.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,431,392 times
Amsterdam and London have flights to almost everywhere if you can't get a direct flight from the US. It's also marginally shorter flights if you don't go direct, even though the total travel time will be longer.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
There used to be direct flights between Dakar and Las Palmas, in the Canary Islands, which was very cheap to fly to, usually tickets the same price as Madrid. But it's been quite a few years since that flight operated, I think. Now you can fly to Madrid, Lisbon or Paris and fly from there to Dakar and most other African capitals. lI think connecting in London for Banjul, Gambia, might be one of the cheapest ways to Sub-Saharan Africa. For the British, Gambia is like Cancun, so at certain season, very cheap charter flights there might be possible.

Nowadays nearly all African countries are charging around $100 for a visa, so it is probably no cheaper to fly to Gambia and then overland, than to fly direct London to Accra of Lagos.

I think there is a direct JFK-Dakar flight,not daily, but it is probably more expensive than bundling a London or Paris with the cheapest possible flight down to Africa.

If you're only going to Morocco, just get the cheapest fare to Spain or Portugal, jump on a bus to Algeciras and the ferry to Morocco, probably save a few hundred bucks. but take an extra day to get there.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,673,882 times
It depends on which country you are going. For Nigeria, there is a direct flight from Houston to Lagos. From New York JFK, it is possible to reach places like Casablanca, Accra, Johannesburg, Cairo with direct flights. Otherwise Paris, Frankfurt, London also provide good connectivity.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:38 PM

Travelocity lists a $1776 flight on Lufthansa from Houston to Nigeria (Abuja) via Frankfurt. There is no nonstop, and they do not suggest another day on which there might be a nonstop, but I suppose one could spend a few hours trying every date of the calendar, to see if there is a weekly flight. I hate the travel websites. Expedia refuses to recognize anything in Nigeria and tells you to request a flight to somewhere else, like Cancun or something. If you ask for Lagos, the tell you the LOS code, but then blow you off and say "We don't recognize . . ."

Whatever happened to the old paper OAG that you could browse through and find every flight in the world, like between two interior towns in Madagascar.

Edit -- I tried all 7 days of the week, there is no nonstop listed, but I got the fare down to $1715. 30 years ago, before the internet slowed everything down, I could have grabbed an OAG off the shelf and had all the information about all the possible connections in 60 seconds.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-26-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,673,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Travelocity lists a $1776 flight on Lufthansa from Houston to Nigeria (Abuja) via Frankfurt. There is no nonstop, and they do not suggest another day on which there might be a nonstop, but I suppose one could spend a few hours trying every date of the calendar, to see if there is a weekly flight. I hate the travel websites. Expedia refuses to recognize anything in Nigeria and tells you to request a flight to somewhere else, like Cancun or something. If you ask for Lagos, the tell you the LOS code, but then blow you off and say "We don't recognize . . ."

Whatever happened to the old paper OAG that you could browse through and find every flight in the world, like between two interior towns in Madagascar.

Edit -- I tried all 7 days of the week, there is no nonstop listed, but I got the fare down to $1715. 30 years ago, before the internet slowed everything down, I could have grabbed an OAG off the shelf and had all the information about all the possible connections in 60 seconds.
Very Strange. I also looked up and I am getting non stop flight. I went to United Airlines as this flight is operated by United Airlines. I chose a date 2nd September Monday. and I am getting straight ticket for about 1500 dollars non-stop 12 hour flight. I also went to Kayak, orbitz, expedia and I was able to get non-stop flight from all these websites. again I was trying for Lagos (LOS) from Houston (IAH).

Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Wait there are no nonstops from the USA to Nigeria? I thought Continental (?) was flying from Houston to Lagos? I know United discontinued their non-stop from Dulles to Accra. I think Delta still flies from NYC & Atlanta to Accra.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Very Strange. I also looked up and I am getting non stop flight. I went to United Airlines as this flight is operated by United Airlines. I chose a date 2nd September Monday. and I am getting straight ticket for about 1500 dollars non-stop 12 hour flight. I also went to Kayak, orbitz, expedia and I was able to get non-stop flight from all these websites. again I was trying for Lagos (LOS) from Houston (IAH).
I entered Houlston and Lagos in the text fieids. It automatically entered LOS in the destination field, then when I clicked GO it said destination not found and gave me a drop down menu to choose Los Angeles, Los Mochis, Los Alamos, Los Gatos . . . . . That was at Expedia. When I tried Travelocity, I entered Nigeria as destination, and it switched it to ABV for Abuja and game me flights, none of them nonstop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa