U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
 
6,569 posts, read 9,083,582 times
Reputation: 2843

Advertisements

Interesting view on Africa's current progress.


Quote:
The rise of technocratic leaders in Africa stands out as one of the most significant recent events. In 2012 six African countries (Tunisia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Somalia, Angola, and Senegal) elected engineers as heads of state or government. Other countries such as Nigeria, Eritrea, and Niger are headed by scientists or engineers. The African Union elected a medical doctor as its new chairperson.

This shift in the character of leadership is not accidental but an indication of emerging emphasis on improving economic management. Africa's leaders have been the subject of extensive scrutiny during the last decade as the continent muddled its way through democratic transition.

Two decades ago much of Africa was ruled by autocrats with little economic vision and limited managerial expertise...

Africa's Economic Growth Prospects - Harvard - Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2013, 05:53 AM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,492,394 times
Reputation: 2067
That article is so full of crap its not funny. Africa has had a number of great leaders in the past. BUT those great leaders also pushed for independence from western political and economic influence. As a result they were removed. Africa will not be able to prosper until we find a way to free ourselves from western influences politically and economically. THEN real progress can begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
 
6,569 posts, read 9,083,582 times
Reputation: 2843
^

Could you name some of those great leaders from the past? I'm trying to think of some who weren't autocratic once they came to power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,492,394 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

Could you name some of those great leaders from the past? I'm trying to think of some who weren't autocratic once they came to power.
Before I answer you, answer me this. Outside of google, how much research have you done on African leaders? What have you read? Having a opinion based on non facts (assuming you haven't really researched the matter) won't help your understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
 
6,569 posts, read 9,083,582 times
Reputation: 2843
Again name me some past Africa leaders who weren't autocratic? I ask because so many were autocratic once they got power. Name me some past leaders who allowed for more than one political party and didn't appoint themselves president for life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM
 
6,569 posts, read 9,083,582 times
Reputation: 2843
Here's an example of one of post colonial Africa's best leaders Seretse Khama the first president of Botswana.



Quote:
Unlike other countries in Africa, his administration adopted market-friendly policies to foster economic development. Khama promised low and stable taxes to mining companies, liberalized trade, and increased personal freedoms. He maintained low marginal income tax rates to deter tax evasion and corruption...

Seretse Khama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM
 
5,239 posts, read 6,769,399 times
Reputation: 11326
Better leaders to me means those that truly care about the people and work for positives changes for the common man. And of course are not corrupt. Honestly, there have been very few leaders like that, there or here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
 
6,569 posts, read 9,083,582 times
Reputation: 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
That article is so full of crap its not funny. Africa has had a number of great leaders in the past. BUT those great leaders also pushed for independence from western political and economic influence. As a result they were removed. Africa will not be able to prosper until we find a way to free ourselves from western influences politically and economically. THEN real progress can begin.
Then are you referring to African leaders like Kwame Nkrumah and Sekou Toure as your great African leaders who ermbraced the eastern european influence of one party dictatorships and state run socialist economies? Well how did that turn out for their countries and for the Soviet Union? There wasn't alot of freedom in that eastern European model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 PM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,492,394 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Better leaders to me means those that truly care about the people and work for positives changes for the common man. And of course are not corrupt. Honestly, there have been very few leaders like that, there or here.
I was just about to say, WHERE in the world have you seen such a thing, until I got to your last sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,492,394 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Then are you referring to African leaders like Kwame Nkrumah and Sekou Toure as your great African leaders who ermbraced the eastern european influence of one party dictatorships and state run socialist economies? Well how did that turn out for their countries and for the Soviet Union? There wasn't alot of freedom in that eastern European model.
I will ask you again, besides googling, what first hand knowledge do you have of ANY African leaders or what books have you read? If you can't answer me, then I will assume, you don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top