U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM

78,852 posts, read 70,665,916 times

Advertisements

It just hit me the other day: it's an English-speaking country. That's a tremendous asset. South Africa could do something like India, and open call centers for banks and other businesses. Or in some other way capitalize on their ability to provide relatively low-cost services to the English-speaking world. For starters. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 AM

4,907 posts, read 6,122,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It just hit me the other day: it's an English-speaking country. That's a tremendous asset. South Africa could do something like India, and open call centers for banks and other businesses. Or in some other way capitalize on their ability to provide relatively low-cost services to the English-speaking world. For starters. Any other ideas?
Ruth, I think it is a very good idea. At least we English speaking American would be able to understand the operator...LOL. I have a great likeness for some Indian people but, I sure have trouble always understanding with their accent.

eta: why don't you try and contact people in the government or whoever that might could push an idea like this ? Write the newspapers, talk it up.....

Old 03-31-2013, 05:11 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Ruth, I think it is a very good idea. At least we English speaking American would be able to understand the operator...LOL. I have a great likeness for some Indian people but, I sure have trouble always understanding with their accent.

eta: why don't you try and contact people in the government or whoever that might could push an idea like this ? Write the newspapers, talk it up.....
Not everyone in SA is a white native English speaker, there can be some pretty tough accents there to.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,766,650 times
The call centers are also looking for the cheapest labor possible. Chances are they would have to pay more in SA, than these other places. That's why they like places like the Philippines. Very cheap labor and many English speaking people there.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
The call centers are also looking for the cheapest labor possible. Chances are they would have to pay more in SA, than these other places. That's why they like places like the Philippines. Very cheap labor and many English speaking people there.
What are the labor costs in SA?

To address another post, I didn't have in mind "native" English speakers for call centers. I'm assuming the "native" English speakers don't need the jobs as badly. I don't find the Native South African accent difficult to understand at all. It's pretty much a basic Brit accent, with a little lilt.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM

89 posts, read 117,994 times
There are some pretty tough telephone and communication problems in Africa in general. The companies tend to be owned by groups with strong political power and they have little incentive to give anyone a deal to open something like a call center. Africa is not like the western countries where people and companies look at market share. They look at total profit and they want as much as they can get. Any contract with low rates will turn into a contract with high rates as soon as the company is established.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedcolton View Post
There are some pretty tough telephone and communication problems in Africa in general. The companies tend to be owned by groups with strong political power and they have little incentive to give anyone a deal to open something like a call center. Africa is not like the western countries where people and companies look at market share. They look at total profit and they want as much as they can get. Any contract with low rates will turn into a contract with high rates as soon as the company is established.
Sounds fierce. Thanks for the info.

....not that India is a Western country. I wonder how phone companies there compare w/SA.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,585,867 times
Quote:
They have western courts and western capital markets. South Africa would be a great springboard into the rest of Africa which is a pretty untapped market in terms of everything (financial services, retail, etc).

They need to clean up their crime problem. Secondly, the nation needs substantial opposition to the ANC within politics. Thirdly, they need to bring back their home-grown intellectual capital.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Quote:
Prevailing wages in South Africa are already higher than what corporations are willing to pay employees in call centers. South Africa already has the infrastructure for industrial development, without needing to be servants to the rich. Their per capita GDP is comparable to Poland and Chile.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,399,388 times
Quote:
It's a good idea but others have beat you to it:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/06/bu...s-south-africa

Ghana is also seeing some of this activity

US-based Company Opens Call Center in Accra

Ghana Business News Bharti Airtel to establish call centers across Africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or