U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM

78,581 posts, read 70,482,002 times

Advertisements

Ntombi Marubini 03 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM

JIVE SOWETO (EL REY DAVID) SIPHO MABUSE (SOUTH AFRICAN MUSIC) - YouTube

Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 PM

Pa Joe - Obaa y Ewa - YouTube

Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,251,218 times
Check out the thread on African music in the Music forum. African music is so very diverse, it's criminal to lump it all together.

Tinariwen - Lulla - YouTube

Freshly Ground 'Nomvula ' live on eXpresso - YouTube

Geoffrey Oryema - Makambo - YouTube

Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM

21,379 posts, read 19,301,005 times
Afaik you used to live in Africa yourself, right? Could you answer my question posted on the previous page:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/29290388-post16.html

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Afaik you used to live in Africa yourself, right? Could you answer my question posted on the previous page:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/29290388-post16.html
Not referring in the specific African context, I think you can assume that in any culture, popular dance has sexual overtones. To say "obscene" is in the eye of the beholder, and there will always be people everywhere who think dance is obscene, and others who believe the more obscene it is, the better it is, and the example you referenced will no doubt fall somewhere within that range. Public perception of the dance you described will, like any other visual representation of popular dance, fit somewhere in that paradigm. That may not be apparent to an outsider, because body movements, parts, and exposures mean different sexually-suggestive things to people in different cultures.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Yes, well, maybe I am just too conservative, I can't stand vulgar behavior, vulgar by my standards of course, but still, that is all that matters as far as I am concerned.
But I am not really important here as I don't live in Africa. I was more interested to know if Africans themselves find that vulgar as well or if it is considered normal there to "dance" like that...

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,085,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Regarding the video I posted in the original post, is that way of "dancing" considered somewhat obscene in Africa as well or is it normal there? I am asking as in one of those videos there were even older (by African standards one might say old) women "dancing" like that...

Apparently your concept of obscenity is rather euro-centric and for someone from Portugal surprisingly Victorian.

The gyration of the hips is a pretty universal movement for many non-european cultures. So I would advise avoiding not only Africa but most of the Pacific Islands. If you ever think of going to Brazil, please consult your cardiologist before going.

Speaking of Victorian, the news cast can't even show the topless dancers greeting Prince William and Katie (who doesn't have a problem with cavorting around topless unless photographers are present).

Topless, so what? Kate Middleton gets the giggles in Solomon Islands during Royal tour - YouTube

Hip shaking in Tahiti

TAHITIAN DANCE -- Corinne Solo Finals - YouTube

Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Well, I am conservative in this respect, I don't like vulgar (according to my standards), no matter where. I already found Michael Jackson embarrassing...
I have been to Brazil, most people there do not dance like those Africans at all. They usually have a subtle sensuality, but nothing vulgar.
I know cultures differ in these things, I was not judging that way of dancing, just asking if it is considered normal in Africa... In Germany, where I am from, it is certainly not normal

Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times
That's interesting because certain types of dancing in Brazil is far more risque than what I have seen in most African cultures. Some of them make the video you posted look very mild. In many African cultures hip movement or gyration is not necessary done in a vulgar manner. It is simply expressive. Thus why in Nigerian religious music, for example, people may move their waist, arms, legs etc. It is quite respectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa