Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what Native Africans are taught about what occur during the slave trade, and how they feel about it.

Also is there a major historic museum any where in the world that exclusive honor the victims as an result of the slave trade like the Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe in was in the tunes of millions that killed, died or thrown overboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Ile de Goree, an island off Dakar, Senegal, is maintained as a museum of the slave trade. When I visited there, the impoundment was still being used as a working prison, with convicts occupying the cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gor%C3%A9e

Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I'm just wondering what Native Africans are taught about what occur during the slave trade, and how they feel about it.
Just to be specific I'm assuming you're referring to the Africans who live in the modern day west and central African countries that were involved in the trans-Atlantic slave trade? Don't want to get east and southern Africans mixed up in this.

Anyway I wonder how they view the issue of the involvement of Africans in capturing rival tribes and selling them into slavery? Do they have a different understaning of that compared to blacks outside of Africa?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:50 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering what Native Africans are taught about what occur during the slave trade, and how they feel about it.................
Just picking one country - Congo - that I am a little familiar with, I find the literacy rate to be 55%. At that level of literacy/illiteracy it becomes almost more what they say than what they are taught.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Default From Ghana

History Slave Trade

Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,942 times
Quote:
What are native Africans taught about the Slave Trade to America.
When you say "America" are you talking the Americas or are being specific about the United States? The reason I think it is important is because the vast majority of slaves that left Africa went to the Caribbean and South America. Only a small percentage (about 5%) came to the U.S. So the story of slavery from an African perspective may not have much to do with America.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
When you say "America" are you talking the Americas or are being specific about the United States? The reason I think it is important is because the vast majority of slaves that left Africa went to the Caribbean and South America. Only a small percentage (about 5%) came to the U.S. So the story of slavery from an African perspective may not have much to do with America.
Only 5% SURVIVED the trip to the US......

Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Only 5% SURVIVED the trip to the US......
I think the poster you are replying to meant that far more slaves went to the Caribbean and South America than to North America.

How Many Slaves Came to America? Fact vs. Fiction

"The most comprehensive analysis of shipping records over the course of the slave trade is the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, edited by professors David Eltis and David Richardson. (While the editors are careful to say that all of their figures are estimates, I believe that they are the best estimates that we have, the proverbial "gold standard" in the field of the study of the slave trade.) Between 1525 and 1866, in the entire history of the slave trade to the New World, according to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, 12.5 million Africans were shipped to the New World. 10.7 million survived the dreaded Middle Passage, disembarking in North America, the Caribbean and South America.

And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That's right: a tiny percentage.

In fact, the overwhelming percentage of the African slaves were shipped directly to the Caribbean and South America ... "

So the mortality rate for the trip was about 14.4%, not 95%.

And only 3.6% of the survivors were brought to North America.

David Eltis:

David Eltis | in Atlanta, Georgia at the Department of History, Emory University

Essays

Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
It may be best to ask on African websites where there are more people born and educated within the continent...not sure if many individuals fitting that description post here.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Its interesting what they think,but I think most of them have too many problems for this to come accross in their minds.

Now,its true only 5% of slaves went to Usa directly from Africa,but the rest of the slaves(50%) in the Usa came from the Caribbean,so its still the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa