U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
229 posts, read 277,592 times
Reputation: 266

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Hard to argue with your condemnation of Western Africa but frankly African Americans enjoy a higher standard of living merely because they live in the wealthiest country in the world, which was developed by White people. So lets not get too smug.

I think the negative attitudes stem from the interactions many Africans have with lower class Black Americans (btw it's not just Africans but many immigrant groups who have negative views of African Americans) when they first arrive and some of the cultural mores they practice.
I have pride in Black America, and make no apologies for that given how far we've come in America, so I'm not smug. And no, let's not give whites too much credit for America's wealth. European colonists decimated through wars, diseases, stolen land and broke treaties, and nearly destroyed Native Americans, including exploited resources to build up America's wealth. Let's not forget the free labor from the horrific nightmare known as slavery of Black Americans in order to solidify America as the nation it is today. Therefore, it is really a foregone conclusion that white colonists built America by taking advantage of the opportunities by oppressing Native Americans and Black Americans, controlled land and resources, and capitalized off white supremacy and controlling the nations' wealth with global partnerships as well. The wealth of America wasn't built up by the immigrant classes that's for certain.

I agree that Africans aren't the only ones who have negative attitudes towards Black Americans, but that doesn't justify any African having negative attitudes towards Black Americans, no matter which class Black Americans are in.

Last edited by freespiritbty; 04-27-2013 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
229 posts, read 277,592 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Hard to say but I'd gather the Ashantis sold were a mixture of both groups you've mentioned. I do know that Ashanti heritage among American Blacks is relatively low. Jamaicans and the British Caribbean islands appear to be the major destination for slaves from the Ghana and the Ashanti empire.
Last year during the Olympics, Usain set the world on fire with his awesome athleticism, and I've read that most Jamaicans had origins from Ghana. On another board, Ghanians where cheering the Jamaica team on. It is commendable of Ghana to not only be the first African nation to apologize for slavery to the new world, but to offer citizenship for those of Ashanti origins. That does goes a long way towards reconciliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
 
74 posts, read 171,553 times
Reputation: 107
I was not brought up or raised in America. Nor am I an immigrant.

I am in the country as a college student and I am not privy to the so-called benefits you continue to harp about. I know how much it costs for international students here (financially and academically). Every benefit I have I 100% pay for.

However I am well aware of what the typical African immigrant experiences here.

Neither I (a non-immigrant) nor the African immigrants I know owe anyone anything. I repeat. African immigrants even prior to the civil rights, have been looking for a way everywhere else in the world and even if America is not open, there is Europe, other African countries and so forth to go to.

Everybody exploits opportunities within a set of limits to advance. "Exploit" does not have to mean anything negative or illegal. It could be anything as simple as an applying for a scholarship because it is for African women or joining professional bodies to network.

As far as affirmative action. I have never benefited from this in my entire life, but I have to ask - do you think Africans are overtaking you while competing for jobs that you feel you should have? How?

How many documented Africans privy to these benefits are on record compared to AAs? Compared to hispanics, and other underrepresented minorities?

Enough for AAs to dish out what they will not take back?

I did say that Africans have a part in the divide, but the denial that AAs exhibit over what they do while playing victims is hypocritical.

My bringing up the experiences of Africans in school or in other interactions is to show that Africans are also at the receiving end but do not make an emotional scene out of it like their AA counterparts who feel entitled.




Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
Nevertheless, BLACK Americans fought for racial equality and ending segregating, and it wasn't Africans allowed to immigrate to Americas en masse until after the '60's because of Civil Rights.

And yes, Africans, especially Black Africans most certainly do owe Black Americans respect for fighting for equality because it certainly wasn't your kinfolk doing fighting for civil rights here in America. Black Americans did the heavy lifting as a minority so African immigrants can reap the benefits. But like most opportunists, you'll arrogantly reap the benefits of freedom while having the audacity to snub your nose at Black Americans.

Bad move.

Don't speculate on whether or not I would exploit a system to favor me because that wasn't how I was raised. This is the difference between you and I. Your snide comment is exactly on par with many arrogant and seemingly ignorant Africans who haven't learned Black History in America. Otherwise, you wouldn't operate under the delusion you're more industrious than American Blacks. Which ever country you are from, you simply are leaving your a third world country, where the majority was black, was colonized by white minorities, then un-colonized as early as the '60's. Black Americans, in particular, are not breaking their necks to immigrate to whichever African nation for better opportunities. No, and I'll most certainly not allow you to down play the hundreds of years my ancestors worked for racial equality, fairness, and civil rights, and contributing to the infrastructure of America, and accomplishments hard fought by Black Americans. Don't even think of being dismissive with me because many of my family members were actively involved in the civil rights movement.

Africans immigrating to any country for their better life are taking a financial risk and being classified as international students is part of risky endeavors. Don't give me your tale of woe about immigrants struggling because that is nothing new for all Black Americans. The difference is my people already know the story of struggle and working hard from the ground up, and striven to overcome everything this country tried to threw at Black Americans. There is no amount of complaining or whining from the immigrants will move me. This is why most Black Americans aren't impressed with African immigrants bragging about their flimsy accomplishments like a weapon against Black Americans. For most of us, we can see where it was easy for certain African nations to sell each other in slavery to the colonists without remorse.

The majority of Black Americans grandparents, great grandparents were dirt poor, living through Jim Crow and debt peonage in the South, worked 2-3 jobs to raise their family and buy their own homes. Again, immigrants should learn history instead of operating under this ignorance that Black Americans are lazy. No one is immigrating to Africa for a better life, but most Africans are immigrating to America, and that says more about you than vice verse. Most Black Americans like my grandparents were part of the Black Migration from South to the North during the '50's and they worked and all owned their own homes, so miss me with your "we have to pay 3x's more in tuition because most of us came from middle class families". Oh well, it's a shame African countries don't have world class universities rivaling the west. And the majority of Black Americans are taking out loans to pay for their education, so no, not moved because you have to pay higher cost of tuition. It is what it is.

Let's not act like Africans entering the workforce are subjected to "Affirmative Action" under "diversity". Nice try and FAIL at inferring Africans don't need "Affirmative Action" due to coming to a new country like America and working from the ground up.

Oh and cry me a river about being teased in school. You actually think you were singled out because you were "African"? LOL! Everyone, no matter what race, ethnicity, class, etc., are is teased in school. EVERYBODY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 AM
 
74 posts, read 171,553 times
Reputation: 107
By the way, classist behavior is typical of upwardly mobile groups.

African immigrants living in the same neighborhoods as poorer AAs don't have any reason to feel aloof. There may be a disconnect due to cultural differences but that's about it.

But African Americans from a higher social class exhibit just as much aloofness to their poorer AA counterparts as Africans with a higher pay grade.

In Europe, AA expatriates (the ones I have met) are VERY classist and aloof towards African immigrants.

Past slave returnees are now exclusive social class in certain African countries (such as Liberia)- where they believe that they are superior to the natives.

As we say in my home country - "Nobody holy pass."

Last edited by Mantana; 04-27-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,624 posts, read 16,448,083 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think she means that without the Civil Rights Act,many African immigrants wouldn't have been allowed to come to America in the first place.
I believe some racist southern whites would have treated Africans the same as AA.

You have to remember,there are still black americans that are alive who remember lynchings,segregation,and were born 3/5 of a human(that was banned in 1965,as blacks were considered before that as 3/5 of a human.)

So really,in 1961, they were about equal. African countries were not independent,and AA were what I said above.

As far as Africans getting teased at school,well everyone does. Its just part of American culture believe it or not.
Actually Africans have been coming to the USA long before the Civil Rights Era as free immigrants for hundreds of years. of course in tiny numbers. The Abyssinia Church in Harlem was founded by Ethiopian seaman in the early 19th century. I have a good friend whose great grandfather came from Ethiopia and married an African American woman, seen the pics seem legit. The father of the Black chief detective in the show the Homicide immigrated from the Cameroon in the 1920s.
Yaphet Kotto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
229 posts, read 277,592 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
I was not brought up or raised in America. Nor am I an immigrant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post

I am in the country as a college student and I am not privy to the so-called benefits you continue to harp about. I know how much it costs for international students here (financially and academically). Every benefit I have I 100% pay for.

However I am well aware of what the typical African immigrant experiences here.

Neither I (a non-immigrant) nor the African immigrants I know owe anyone anything. I repeat. African immigrants even prior to the civil rights, have been looking for a way everywhere else in the world and even if America is not open, there is Europe, other African countries and so forth to go to.

Everybody exploits opportunities within a set of limits to advance. "Exploit" does not have to mean anything negative or illegal. It could be anything as simple as an applying for a scholarship because it is for African women or joining professional bodies to network.

As far as affirmative action. I have never benefited from this in my entire life, but I have to ask - do you think Africans are overtaking you while competing for jobs that you feel you should have? How?

How many documented Africans privy to these benefits are on record compared to AAs? Compared to hispanics, and other underrepresented minorities?

Enough for AAs to dish out what they will not take back?

I did say that Africans have a part in the divide, but the denial that AAs exhibit over what they do while playing victims is hypocritical.

My bringing up the experiences of Africans in school or in other interactions is to show that Africans are also at the receiving end but do not make an emotional scene out of it like their AA counterparts who feel entitled.
Since you aren't an immigrant or raised in America, there is no reason for you to be involved in this exchange regarding Black Americans and Africans immigrants, nor for me to continue with this exchange. On that basis alone, your entire posts on this topic negates your latest response. I'd rather not waste time any further responding on this issue when you have no point of personal reference or experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM
 
8,225 posts, read 10,802,397 times
Reputation: 7622
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Actually Africans have been coming to the USA long before the Civil Rights Era as free immigrants for hundreds of years. of course in tiny numbers. The Abyssinia Church in Harlem was founded by Ethiopian seaman in the early 19th century. I have a good friend whose great grandfather came from Ethiopia and married an African American woman, seen the pics seem legit. The father of the Black chief detective in the show the Homicide immigrated from the Cameroon in the 1920s.
Yaphet Kotto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well,that's new to me.
But I'm just saying,even if those African immigrants went to the south,the KKK I'm sure would have lynched them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
 
74 posts, read 171,553 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
[b][u]

Since you aren't an immigrant or raised in America, there is no reason for you to be involved in this exchange regarding Black Americans and Africans immigrants, nor for me to continue with this exchange. On that basis alone, your entire posts on this topic negates your latest response. I'd rather not waste time any further responding on this issue when you have no point of personal reference or experience.
I have points of reference though indirect as I have conversed and currently liaise with immigrants.

But if this is your way of coping out and avoiding the points I raised, have a great weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
229 posts, read 277,592 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
I have points of reference though indirect as I have conversed and currently liaise with immigrants.

But if this is your way of coping out, have a great weekend dear.
I'm not coping out as I've participated in this discuss far more than you have. I'm simply not interested in time wasting on a poster such as yourself with indirect experience between Black Americans and African immigrants. None of your indirect experience is germane to the topic, understand? So far, your last post was wrong, however, since so much of your post can be easily debunked. For me to continue with you is an wasted effort on my part, especially since you're inexperience regarding Black Americans and African immigrants shone through with your last post. My weekend is of no concern to you so please keep your empty sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 PM
 
74 posts, read 171,553 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
I'm not coping out, I'm not interested in time wasting on a poster such as yourself with indirect experience. None of your indirect experience is germane to the topic, understand? So far, you're wrong, and continuing is wasted effort on my part, especially since you're inexperience regarding Black Americans and African immigrants shone through with your last post.
Until you address what exactly connotes inexperience in my posts or points then I have to say that you are just playing the avoidance game.

I have also been here in the US long enough to draw my own conclusions.

Anyway, have a good weekend. Don't let me waste your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top