Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

I found an skeptics view on the Dogon knowledge of the stars. Is anyone else familiar with this?

Quote:

Carl Sagan agreed with Temple that the Dogon could not have acquired their knowledge without contact with an advanced technological civilization. Sagan suggests, however, that that civilization was terrestrial rather than extraterrestrial. Perhaps the source was Temple himself and his loose speculations on what he learned from Griaule, who based his account on an interview with one person, Ambara, and an interpreter...

Dogon and Sirius - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM

Can someone realisticlly explain how the Dogon could have gotten this astronomical knowledge without the use of telescopes? This seems to be the main question for the skeptics.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
I heard a little about this and I saw a video claiming that they were doing some kind of dance to celebrate the star Sirius or something (which didn't make sense for them to even know about - claimed the narrator).

However, I visited Dogon Country and I saw the dance they do. It has nothing to do with astronomy. It is to celebrate their religion (they are Anamalistic, in contrast to the rest of the country which is Muslim). All the masks are animals and the celebration is about all the animals that impact them. The one the video claimed was the "star" was actually just a snake.

So, since the people who claim the Dogons "know so much about astronomy" got that terribly wrong, it makes me wonder what else they got wrong.

The article you linked even says:

Quote:
Temple has either misinterpreted Dogon beliefs, or distorted Griaule and Dieterlen's claims, to fit his fantastic story.
He clearly just misinterpreted their beliefs...

Old 04-27-2013, 02:32 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
I found the video I'd seen before:

Dogon Cosmology - NASA baffled by West African people!!!!!!!! (1) - YouTube

Right at the beginning it claims "this is a dance that connects them to the heavens"... NOPE

Here are MY OWN pictures of the masks...

http://i.imgur.com/mMAEv.jpg

Clearly a SNAKE (not a star)

http://i.imgur.com/iXfaI.jpg

Antelope, Rabbits, Lizards... these are what the masks are, nothing "alien"

However, it's very beautiful there. If you ever get a chance to go, do it!

http://i.imgur.com/3RuSR.jpg

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Please follow directions for posting pictures, thanks!

Old 04-27-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
However, I visited Dogon Country
Have you interviewed or just talked to any Dogon about this? Do the Dogon themselves deny being knowledgeable about astronomy?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Can someone realisticlly explain how the Dogon could have gotten this astronomical knowledge without the use of telescopes? This seems to be the main question for the skeptics.
This word "realistic" is the problem with modern Astronomers and the Dogons. Modern Astronomers went to the Dogons and asked them a simple question: How do you people know so much about the universe without any advanced instruments, and how did you know way back then?

The Dogons simply said that some Aliens came down and told us about the universe.

Now the Astronomers who asked the Dogons this were mostly white people, and white people usually don't take black people seriously or see them as inferior.

When white people use the word "realistic", it usually means realistic in their world. Some might take offense to this, but you got to keep it real: White people are mostly close minded and feel like if white science can't explain, then it ain't credible.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
This word "realistic" is the problem with modern Astronomers and the Dogons. Modern Astronomers went to the Dogons and asked them a simple question: How do you people know so much about the universe without any advanced instruments, and how did you know way back then?

The Dogons simply said that some Aliens came down and told us about the universe.

Now the Astronomers who asked the Dogons this were mostly white people, and white people usually don't take black people seriously or see them as inferior.

When white people use the word "realistic", it usually means realistic in their world. Some might take offense to this, but you got to keep it real: White people are mostly close minded and feel like if white science can't explain, then it ain't credible.
Projection:
Quote:
3. Projection is a form of defense in which unwanted feelings are displaced onto another person, where they then appear as a threat from the external world. A common form of projection occurs when an individual, threatened by his own angry feelings, accuses another of harbouring hostile thoughts.
projection (psychology) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Check the 'skeptic' section of this article. They go into more details on the views that have been presented to explain how the Dogon got their astronomical knowledge.

Quote:

Therefore, Sagan and others say, the Dogon must have obtained their knowledge of astronomy from missionaries or traders or other visitors to the area in the years before Griaule was told of their cosmology. He says that the Dogon simply incorporated this new knowledge into their already existing beliefs about Sirius A. Reverence for Sirius A, the brightest star in the sky, was not uncommon among ancient peoples, because its appearance in the dawn sky signaled the nearness of summer, with implications for agriculture.

Dogon - UFO Evidence

Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post

Ok but it all still comes down to evidence. My issue with what you're saying is that anyone could use your line of thinking to support any claim that they don't have any evidence for.

When the Dogon say aliens gave them their info on the stars then of course they aren't going to be readily believed for the simple fact that so far no aliens have made themselves present on earth. I wish these aliens would show up a lot more often around here.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Ok but it all still comes down to evidence. My issue with what you're saying is that anyone could use your line of thinking to support any claim that they don't have any evidence for.

When the Dogon say aliens gave them their info on the stars then of course they aren't going to be readily believed for the simple fact that so far no aliens have made themselves present on earth. I wish these aliens would show up a lot more often around here.
You ever thought that aliens are already here, but we as humans are not intelligent enough to recognize their presence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa