Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
We were in Cape Town October last year and then Rosebank (north of Joburg) in November. There's definitely a sense of heightened danger there, especially Joburg. We stayed in guest houses (South African version of B&Bs, and fabulous!) in residential neighbourhoods and the two-metre high fences with barbed wire, and on top of that the electrified wire, with the big security company signs saying "Armed Response" was a big enough clue. We also saw some of that "Armed Response" in action. When you're from a country that doesn't have that sort of thing, it's a bit confronting. And perhaps you're a bit more nervous than you should be, but better safe than sorry.

We were told it was okay to walk around specific areas during daylight hours, but not at night. And in daylight, we were instructed to keep our wits about us, to not lollygag about with our heads and brains in the air. Don't count your money in public, good advice anywhere but in South Africa the one time my husband forgot that advice and was fiddling with his wallet outside a cafe he had two men beg for money within seconds. You only make that mistake once.

In Joburg, we had a driver that was recommended by the accommodation we were staying at, and told not to use the local taxi service. It's all a bit "different" when you come from regular Western countries. Using the ATM is different - with armed security guards nearby, and low withdrawal limits allowed.

Parking your car is different, with freelance parking guards coming up to you to tell you they will watch your car for you. When you get back, have a few Rand for them.

I loved our time in South Africa, it's an astonishingly beautiful country. I was SO nervous before getting there, almost thinking of cancelling, and the first couple days I was a bit on the paranoid side. But after that, I relaxed and enjoyed the place and the people. It's tremendously good value too. Fantastic food, wines and service.
I've been doing tons of reading of guys that ride their motorbikes and take trips around the country. Some parts seem more dangerous than others. The main areas I am interested in are the Western Cape and the southern coast and would like to see Namibia and Lesotho as well.

Probably my main interest is actually the motor racing there.

I've been told to avoid Durban as the crime has gotten rather bad there with a lot of dirty streets and other nonsense and to avoid the old downtown Joburg and the Hillbrow district. Also have been told not to wander around the townships unless I am in an organized tour.

I have given some consideration to doing a small group sized 4x4 tour or some other multi week tour just to be with a guide and learn the lay of the land.

I've got a friend going to Kwazulu Natal in May so I'll be interested to see how his trip turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I've been doing tons of reading of guys that ride their motorbikes and take trips around the country. Some parts seem more dangerous than others. The main areas I am interested in are the Western Cape and the southern coast and would like to see Namibia and Lesotho as well..
Namibia was amazing. We spent almost 2 weeks in that beautiful country. I was surprised at how much there was to see as I was only familiar with the famous Dunes, which words just can't describe adequately. But there's also the Fish River Canyon, which is the 2nd largest canyon after the Grand Canyon, which I also visited last year. So it was kinda cool seeing the largest, then the 2nd largest, on two different continents within months.

The landscape of Namibia is so varied, with a gorgeous coastline, with Swakopmund being an odd little, very German town on the coast. My favourite brew was out of Swakopmund - Hansa. Spitzkoppe is also beautiful, Twyfelfontein, Etosha National Park, the Caprivi Strip and then just over in Botswana the Okavango Delta is a magical place. We really liked Livingstone and Victoria Falls - Zambia felt more like what I envision "the Real Africa" to be. More chaotic, not as neat and tidy like Namibia and South Africa, but with a lot of character and vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I have given some consideration to doing a small group sized 4x4 tour or some other multi week tour just to be with a guide and learn the lay of the land.
We were on an adventure tour with a couple of great guides. Now that we've done the organised tour thing (which we're not usually great fans of), we'd be more confident in giving a self-guided tour a go next time.

Go for it, Africa was a huge and pleasant surprise for me. And I'd like to see more. Kenya and Tanzania would be on my list next.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 PM

324 posts, read 573,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
We were in Cape Town October last year and then Rosebank (north of Joburg) in November. There's definitely a sense of heightened danger there, especially Joburg. We stayed in guest houses (South African version of B&Bs, and fabulous!) in residential neighbourhoods and the two-metre high fences with barbed wire, and on top of that the electrified wire, with the big security company signs saying "Armed Response" was a big enough clue. We also saw some of that "Armed Response" in action. When you're from a country that doesn't have that sort of thing, it's a bit confronting. And perhaps you're a bit more nervous than you should be, but better safe than sorry.

We were told it was okay to walk around specific areas during daylight hours, but not at night. And in daylight, we were instructed to keep our wits about us, to not lollygag about with our heads and brains in the air. Don't count your money in public, good advice anywhere but in South Africa the one time my husband forgot that advice and was fiddling with his wallet outside a cafe he had two men beg for money within seconds. You only make that mistake once.

In Joburg, we had a driver that was recommended by the accommodation we were staying at, and told not to use the local taxi service. It's all a bit "different" when you come from regular Western countries. Using the ATM is different - with armed security guards nearby, and low withdrawal limits allowed.

Parking your car is different, with freelance parking guards coming up to you to tell you they will watch your car for you. When you get back, have a few Rand for them.
I've heard/read about SA, and your post is certainly correlating with it.
Makes me really wonder how many crime victims are there going to be during the WC event, when tens of thousands of fans from all over the world gather there. I think we may never find out. Doubt, that SA authorities would publish any statement of this kind.
Those 3 weeks will be paradise for robbers, pick pocketers, etc. The 50 000 police officers could be only at some places, at some times...
If one is aware of the danger, then being careful could help, but how many of the soccer fans will not be aware, thus going to be caught by surprise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa