U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
656 posts, read 1,791,404 times
Reputation: 795

Advertisements

Hello all my fellow City Data peoples;

I hope today is going well for you all. My GF is going to be taking a trip to Kenya soon and she wants to buy a pre-paid cell phone to take on her trip. We live in Nevada in the USA and she will mainly be in Nairobe, Kenya. Does anyone know if a pre-paid ATT or Verizon cell phone bought here in the US will work for her while she is in Kenya? If so should I get her at ATT or Verizon or another company?
THX
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 PM
 
247 posts, read 566,230 times
Reputation: 277
American cell phones will not work in East Africa. Her best bet is to buy a phone when she gets to Nairobi, and then sell/give it to a local when she returns.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,423 times
Reputation: 11
An unlocked phone that uses a sim card will work. However, she will have to purchase a sim card over there where she can then prepay for the service. Since the phone will be unlocked, the carrier shouldn`t matter. Hope this is helpful.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,982 posts, read 12,247,962 times
Reputation: 14820
It depends on where exactly she is going. She could rent a phone, which is a very popular option. Or if wi-fi is going to be available, talk using Skype.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 8,934,916 times
Reputation: 3703
Cell time extremely cheap in Africa (and the service is amazing, better than in New York).

She can buy a cheap phone (about US$15 and add minutes to it). There are kiosks that sell them everywhere. I wouldn't rent a phone. If she has an old, unlocked smart phone, she can buy a new SIM card and use that as well.

This is all for calls within Kenya. If she wants to talk to the you, it's best to use Skype, Facetime or Gmail via Wifi. It's free and the sound quality is much better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,586 posts, read 10,762,827 times
Reputation: 9292
My eldest daughter is going to India this summer and then will spend a few weeks in Kenya...I really don't care if cell phones work well or not. Any time I call here she always - says "Dad I am working- don't bother me" - actually I am very proud of her...She has done well for herself helping people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,472 posts, read 3,016,810 times
Reputation: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My eldest daughter is going to India this summer and then will spend a few weeks in Kenya...I really don't care if cell phones work well or not. Any time I call here she always - says "Dad I am working- don't bother me" - actually I am very proud of her...She has done well for herself helping people.
I would never say something that rude to my parents (whom I love dearly).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM
 
247 posts, read 566,230 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by trial_user View Post
An unlocked phone that uses a sim card will work. However, she will have to purchase a sim card over there where she can then prepay for the service. Since the phone will be unlocked, the carrier shouldn`t matter. Hope this is helpful.
Yes, I should have maybe clarified that info about the Sim card. I would guess that she would be looking for an inexpensive prepaid which wouldn't have a removable Sim card. Otherwise, the Sim card swap is the best bet, BUT don't waste money on US airtime.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 PM
 
32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Reputation: 14937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello all my fellow City Data peoples;

I hope today is going well for you all. My GF is going to be taking a trip to Kenya soon and she wants to buy a pre-paid cell phone to take on her trip. We live in Nevada in the USA and she will mainly be in Nairobe, Kenya. Does anyone know if a pre-paid ATT or Verizon cell phone bought here in the US will work for her while she is in Kenya? If so should I get her at ATT or Verizon or another company?
THX
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
American cell phones will not work in East Africa. Her best bet is to buy a phone when she gets to Nairobi, and then sell/give it to a local when she returns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trial_user View Post
An unlocked phone that uses a sim card will work. However, she will have to purchase a sim card over there where she can then prepay for the service. Since the phone will be unlocked, the carrier shouldn`t matter. Hope this is helpful.
She can use an American cellphone if it is a tri-band or quad-band phone. As written above she will need an unlocked phone that can use any simcard. In order to cut her costs down she will have to purchase a local prepaid simcard and insert that into her cellphone instead of her American simcard unless she happens to have a dual simcard phone (which can have 2 simcards in it at the same time). I would check and see if T-Mobile might be suitable as T-Mobile does have cellphones that work outside the USA.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top