U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 PM

7,571 posts, read 2,432,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
I think my point has been made. I am not interested in promoting or contradicting any racial notions some people may have attached to the term.

I think Joules MSU has it right (one post above mine.) It is below (sub) the Saharan desert.

If I wanted to spend more time on this, I could come up with a plethora of similarly named geographic regions. Off the top of my head: Baja California, which means lower California in Spanish. Lower is a lot like sub, huh?
Of course. Anyway, carry on...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 PM

7,571 posts, read 2,432,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Sorry, just one more point.

The U.S. census also considers "Asian" to be a race. "Asian" does exclude the Middle East, and Central Asia (people from there are just considered white by the census, like people from North Africa). The arbitrary line is between Afghanistan and Pakistan. A Pashtun from Afghanistan is "white" while one from Pakistan is "Asian"

Obviously this is ridiculous. Hell, talking about Asian as a race in general on these terms is ridiculous, since South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc) neither share genetic ancestry with East Asians, nor consider themselves part of the same race.

If the use of "Asian-American" in the U.S. context isn't proper, why should we accept "African-American"? It's a less precise term than just saying black - even if we throw out the obvious case of what do you call someone who was born in the U.S. to white South African parents.
"Black" is even less precise, imo. My predominantly South Asian parent is "blacker" than my predominantly West/Central African parent. Color labels are nonsensical. Actually, I'd rather not be called any of the labels in your post...LOL.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So African American isn't a racial term?
It was Black Americans who created the term, and who then demanded that everyone use it, and called people insensitive and racist if they didn't.

If you want to know why African Americans call themselves that "racial term", just ask them. Whites and Europeans didn't make up the term as a slur or an insult, it was imposed upon them by the Blacks.

Just try calling an Egyptian or a Moroccan an "African American", and see what happens.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM

87 posts, read 95,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Seems like something Europeans made up to cause division. Why not just say Africa, and leave it at that.

I'm sure someone else has already explained this and I haven't bothered to read through the thread, but here goes:

"Sub-Saharan African" means those Africans that live below the Sahara Desert who are of the Negroid race.

Above the Sahara, the inhabitants of northern Africa belong to the Semitic race, basically they are Arabs, Berbers, etc. - these people are racially distinct from the Negroid inhabitants of Sub-Saharan Africa.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,465,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you want to know why African Americans call themselves that "racial term", just ask them. Whites and Europeans didn't make up the term as a slur or an insult, it was imposed upon them by the Blacks.

Just try calling an Egyptian or a Moroccan an "African American", and see what happens.
It really depends. I've met some who don't have a problem being called African American since they strongly identify as being North African. Egyptians and Moroccans can apply for minority scholarships if they choose to.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
. Egyptians and Moroccans can apply for minority scholarships if they choose to.
Sure they can, but they'll be denied. Here is how Purdue University defines minority status:

Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial
groups of Africa.
http://www.purdue.edu/oir/PDF_files/...030%202010.pdf

This, broadly, includes the Bantu peoples, the Somali-Ethiopic group, and the Kalahari San peoples. Who altogether, basically comprise the indigenous populations of -- ta-dah -- Sub-Saharan Africa.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Sure they can, but they'll be denied. Here is how Purdue University defines minority status:

Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial
groups of Africa.
http://www.purdue.edu/oir/PDF_files/...030%202010.pdf

This, broadly, includes the Bantu peoples, the Somali-Ethiopic group, and the Kalahari San peoples. Who altogether, basically comprise the indigenous populations of -- ta-dah -- Sub-Saharan Africa.
Plenty have done it and have gotten away with it, especially those who could easily pass as being Black in this country. Today most Egyptians, Moroccans, etc are a mixture of Arab and North African ancestry. Some identify as Arab while others might identify themselves more with their African heritage. It depends on the person.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Plenty have done it and have gotten away with it, especially those who could easily pass as being Black in this country. Today most Egyptians, Moroccans, etc are a mixture of Arab and North African ancestry. Some identify as Arab while others might identify themselves more with their African heritage. It depends on the person.
Basically, in the US it means that you can walk into the admissions office and say "Look at my color -- employers discriminate against me because of my color", and they will say Yes, then you are a minority and you have to be given preference. But dark-skinned people from anywhere in the world can make the same claim, regardless if their ancestors ever lived on the African geological continent.

"Easily pass as being Black" has nothing to do with Africa, Sub-Saharan or otherwise.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Basically, in the US it means that you can walk into the admissions office and say "Look at my color -- employers discriminate against me because of my color", and they will say Yes, then you are a minority and you have to be given preference. But dark-skinned people from anywhere in the world can make the same claim, regardless if their ancestors ever lived on the African geological continent.
Are you from the United States? You seem be to ignorant about the concept of race in the US.

Quote:
"Easily pass as being Black" has nothing to do with Africa, Sub-Saharan or otherwise.
You said the term African was not a racial term when in fact it is a racial term.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Are you from the United States? You seem be to ignorant about the concept of race in the US.
There is no such thing as race. Just ask any sensitive and politically correct anthropologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or