U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times

Advertisements

Look at any of the many lists of nations of the world ranked by per capita wealth. Of the bottom 30, all* of them are in Sub-Saharan Africa. None are in Africa north of the Sahara. So what is wrong with "lumping" them, for for no other reason than their common economic plight, which affecta all of them pretty much the same? It is really the economists who have coined the term "Sub-Saharan Africa", specifically to exclude the relatively successful economies of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt. And there is the answer to the OP's question.

(* - except Haiti and Afghanistan, the former of which is essentially Africanized, and the latter of which the USA made it a pep-rally project to destroy.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...%29_per_capita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,096,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

except Haiti and Afghanistan, the former of which is essentially Africanized, and the latter of which the USA made it a pep-rally project to destroy.
let's see, Haiti is "Africanized"and Afghanistan is debilitated by the U.S. So, France gets a bye on Haiti? Interesting choice of analogies.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,467,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Look at any of the many lists of nations of the world ranked by per capita wealth. Of the bottom 30, all* of them are in Sub-Saharan Africa. None are in Africa north of the Sahara. So what is wrong with "lumping" them, for for no other reason than their common economic plight, which affecta all of them pretty much the same? It is really the economists who have coined the term "Sub-Saharan Africa", specifically to exclude the relatively successful economies of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt. And there is the answer to the OP's question.

(* - except Haiti and Afghanistan, the former of which is essentially Africanized, and the latter of which the USA made it a pep-rally project to destroy.)
List of countries by GNI (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, lets lump geographical regions based on the economic prosperity of that area. That seems about right. Lets forget the fact the economies can change over time for countries.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 AM

51,934 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Seems like something Europeans made up to cause division. Why not just say Africa, and leave it at that.
Why not take 5 minutes to educate yourself onto the topic before "guessing" that the Europeans did it to cause division?

Here is a nice basic primer....

Sub-Saharan Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-14-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yes, lets lump geographical regions based on the economic prosperity of that area. That seems about right. Lets forget the fact the economies can change over time for countries.
Great plains states?
The "bread basket of America"?

I think it's actually pretty common.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Great plains states?
The "bread basket of America"?

I think it's actually pretty common.
Uhh, I will assume you are just kidding with that comment because I don't think anyone with common sense would ever use the Great Plains states as an example to justify why every country South of the Sahara should be lumped together solely because of economic prosperity.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Uhh, I will assume you are just kidding with that comment because I don't think anyone with common sense would ever use the Great Plains states as an example to justify why every country South of the Sahara should be lumped together solely because of economic prosperity.
I never agreed that they are lumped together due to economic prosperity.

If you read the link I provided it has roots that go wayyyy back. Back to times when the interior of Africa was quite a mystery.

It had to do with the geographical boundary of the sahara desert which split the black and arabic nations.

The term has ancient roots which don't make sense in this day of sattelite mapping....we are no longer in the era of "here there be dragons".

If anything it's a relic of history denoting the split between races and cultures and the split was demarcated by a huge natural boundry....the sahara desert.

P.S. My great plains reference is largely geographic but those states are also called the bread basket of America which is reference to the economies of the area. I think it's a good example to at least consider given that there can be various reasons for what areas are called.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I never agreed that they are lumped together due to economic prosperity.

If you read the link I provided it has roots that go wayyyy back. Back to times when the interior of Africa was quite a mystery.

It had to do with the geographical boundary of the sahara desert which split the black and arabic nations.

The term has ancient roots which don't make sense in this day of sattelite mapping....we are no longer in the era of "here there be dragons".

If anything it's a relic of history denoting the split between races and cultures and the split was demarcated by a huge natural boundry....the sahara desert.

P.S. My great plains reference is largely geographic but those states are also called the bread basket of America which is reference to the economies of the area. I think it's a good example to at least consider given that there can be various reasons for what areas are called.
But wouldn't you agree that dividing Africa by North, West, etc would be a lot better than just lumping them together and calling them Sub-Saharan Africa?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,096,081 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone with common sense would ever use the Great Plains states as an example to justify why every country South of the Sahara should be lumped together solely because of economic prosperity.
I also find it ironic that the area with the greatest genetic, let me say that again, the greatest genetic diversity get's lumped together.

http://www.nature.com/news/african-n...-genes-1.11456

http://scienceblogs.com/geneticfutur...african-genet/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn.../#.UZK3ySsjofE

Old 05-14-2013, 04:22 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Quote:
And when they do change, they will be relumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or