U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,448,932 times

Advertisements

From what I've read, it seems like an awful existence. Gated homes with barbed wire, security guards and cameras. I would not want to live in a bubble for the rest of my life.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,759,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
From what I've read, it seems like an awful existence. Gated homes with barbed wire, security guards and cameras. I would not want to live in a bubble for the rest of my life.
Take a look at the houses near High Level Road and Hill Street in Cape Town. Pretty nice places, usually in the 450k and up range. No barbed wire or security guards, just nice views and a lovely city. These days you can find an abundance of upscale gated communities in the states too. And all sorts of terrible crimes happen over here too.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 AM

889 posts, read 1,014,754 times
It doesn't look like a nice place to live. I visited Pretoria and Johannesburg a few years ago... all the neighborhoods look like individual prisons... every house is fortified with tall fences and it looks very unfriendly and unwelcoming.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,367,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I dont know...I personally tend to discount all those "wealthy" small Caribbean islands. Yes they tend to have high incomes, but those incomes are artificially inflated by the big money banking/tourism sectors, none of whom are actually based on those islands, but rather are branches of the big American/European banks/tourism companies. The monies earned are repatriated back to their home headquarters in Europe/America, and very little of that money actually ends up with the local black population. Take Barbados for example. I know people actually FROM there, and I can assure you that while they are certainly not starving like people in Haiti, it's not Switzerland either, not by a long shot.

The site above is measuring human development, which takes into account many factors other then income. If it were simply based on GNI then you might have a point in questioning if that income is fairly distributed among the citizens. However, I see no reason to discount the quality-of-life ratings for the more highly ranked black Caribbean countries simply because many of them have large banking/tourism sectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or