Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Curious if others have done this, or researched this, and any problems or issues they might have had. Additionally, are crossing nearby borders an issue or problematic, or not really recommended? Just thinking of the immediate next door neighbors of Namibia, Botswana, Swaziland and Lesotho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
It's definitely the best way to see the country, but I think it's pretty obvious that with the high rates of crime, common sense rules apply.

Be sure to ask if you want automatic transmission and A/C, most cars there do not come with those standard.

Drive with doors locked at all times. If in remote areas, or at night people generally don't stop at red lights or STOPs to reduce the risk of carjackings. Slow down, and proceed with caution. Do not go driving into unknown "townships". If you want to visit museums or shebeens in these areas, get detailed directions, use a cab, or go with friends.

Some of the small border crossings are a law unto themselves, bribes are not unheard of. Don't go through remote border crossings without doing a bit of homework. The worst that I have driven through is the Zimbabwe-Botswana crossing at Plumtree where they wanted US$50 cash before even looking at our paperwork (and I'm Zimbabwean!).

In some countries, like Botswana and Zimbabwe, roadblocks are pretty common, and again bribes are common. Just be cool, prepare to hand over some cash, and go about your business. The roadblocks can be military, agricultural, police, who knows why?

Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Drive with doors locked at all times. If in remote areas, or at night people generally don't stop at red lights or STOPs to reduce the risk of carjackings. Slow down, and proceed with caution. Do not go driving into unknown "townships". If you want to visit museums or shebeens in these areas, get detailed directions, use a cab, or go with friends.
Townships? This implies small towns? So, even small towns and rural, a person has to be aware of carjackings and such?

I was originally under the impression that driving around 'bad' parts of a city are the places to avoid, but if the small towns are also issues, that might make it a 'no-go'.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Townships? This implies small towns? So, even small towns and rural, a person has to be aware of carjackings and such?

I was originally under the impression that driving around 'bad' parts of a city are the places to avoid, but if the small towns are also issues, that might make it a 'no-go'.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Townships are densely populated urban areas such as Soweto, Gugulethu. Many have great tourist spots, but townships are huge, and you most definitely do not want to be in the undesirable parts. Just be aware, and if you want to visit them plan carefully.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:17 PM

277 posts, read 381,074 times
Hey Tiger Beer,

Zimbochick has provided a good general idea of how things are but I would like to stress a few points

Don't consider public transport. Taxis are not safe and should be avoided. In terms of not stopping at red robots, depending on the province you should actually just assume that an Orange robot is still free for all and even the first few seconds of it being red. A lot of people (mostly taxis) will still try and jump the red robot. Taxis will also generally make use of any lane that gets them to their destination faster, so the emergency lane and turning only lanes are free for all for taxis and general idiots. Taxis in Johannesburg are normally a lil' more aggressive and it's just generally safer to stay out of their way.

The townships should be avoided at night. As Zimbochick mentioned, places like Soweto are tourist spots but in my opinion if you want to visit them, rather consider going with a tour or at least some local who knows where they're going.

When it comes down to it, crime is a reality everywhere but it is very real in South Africa. If you are vigilant and have some common sense, you can have an amazing time driving through what really is a beautiful country

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll try answer to the best of my knowledge

Old 02-26-2014, 07:11 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
All of the borders should be fairly easy to cross, just make sure you have the right stuff to do so. For example, I believe you need a VISA to enter Mozambique.

Swaziland and Lesotho should be relatively simple crossings, Namibia and Botswana might take a little longer but shouldn't be much of an issue either. Like someone else said, the only thing to really worry about would be driving around in areas like Johannesburg/Pretoria where there is a lot of crime. But even then, as long as you lock your door while parked you probably wouldn't have any problems.

Also make sure you know which side of the road to drive on!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
Also look up some lingo before you go. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
In terms of not stopping at red robots,
This means a "stop light" (red light).

I was so confused the first time someone told me to "go down to the robot and turn left"... I was looking for a statue or something that resembled this:

lol

Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 AM

277 posts, read 381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Also look up some lingo before you go. For example:

This means a "stop light" (red light).

I was so confused the first time someone told me to "go down to the robot and turn left"... I was looking for a statue or something that resembled this:

lol
hahaha, my mistake Got to keep in mind this is an international forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
All of the borders should be fairly easy to cross, just make sure you have the right stuff to do so. For example, I believe you need a VISA to enter Mozambique.

Swaziland and Lesotho should be relatively simple crossings, Namibia and Botswana might take a little longer but shouldn't be much of an issue either. Like someone else said, the only thing to really worry about would be driving around in areas like Johannesburg/Pretoria where there is a lot of crime. But even then, as long as you lock your door while parked you probably wouldn't have any problems.

Also make sure you know which side of the road to drive on!
It's not just when you're parked though. I always try wind up my window when I approach a traffic light () There is generally someone begging at almost every traffic light and if you keep your window down then they approach you straight away. Some are friendly and once you tell them you have nothing they'll walk away, others are not so easily convinced. Never keep valuables in plain sight because there are often cases of you stop at a traffic light and they'll (they not referring to every homeless person) quickly reach in and grab what they can.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 939 times
Driving around the country is a good way to enjoy the city. It feels to be one of them. Make sure to have your driver's license tucked in your pockets for safety measures. Follow the speed limits and you won't be in a harass out there. Heard that getting car rentals in South Africa is quiet easy and you can choose your Polo Vivo or a Toyota Corola.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the info on car rentals. I'm a bit surprised that even crossing borders is quite doable. Would it be more recommended to avoid border crossing, if can avoid it?

Where does most carjackings occur? Is that usually in the 'townships'....or can that be just about anywhere, even on the remote rural roads? How much traffic, in general, is out and about throughout much of South Africa? Is it country-wide, or do you have plenty of wide open road without much around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa