U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 AM

9,526 posts, read 9,409,905 times

Advertisements

Same-sex "marriage" was legalized in South Africa in the mid 1990s, but was there a greater toleration of homosexuality in South Africa than in other African nations?

NOTE: I put quotes around "marriage" because I do not believe homosexual marriage is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,428,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Same-sex "marriage" was legalized in South Africa in the mid 1990s, but was there a greater toleration of homosexuality in South Africa than in other African nations?

NOTE: I put quotes around "marriage" because I do not believe homosexual marriage is real.
What's interesting about South Africa is that lesbians seem to get it a lot worse than male homosexuals. I've read where corrective rapes are pretty prevalent there. Normally lesbianism is not seen as all that threatening.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,514,917 times
My friend who lives there told me it's common for male friends to hold hands in public, as it's a sign of friendship.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,939,859 times
Quote:
South Africans know the humiliation and anguish of state-sponsored discrimination all too well. When they had the opportunity to change the system they made the right choice and granted marriage equality to same-sex couples.

It helped that they have a large European population, which tends to support gay rights, and the churches, especially the Anglican Church, is much more liberal than that Anglican Churches in other African countries, like Nigeria or Uganda.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,482,787 times
so! maybe that's better than having everyone
else bothered with even being worried about
gays altogether.

out of sight. out of mind.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,462,160 times
Quote:

That's ok some of us don't believe in your "marriage" since half end up in divorce anyway. Tolerance in a large continent with multiple cultures, languages and history should vary. Uganda would be an example of the other extreme.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
My friend who lives there told me it's common for male friends to hold hands in public, as it's a sign of friendship.
They do that in Uganda as well. But their attitude to gays is to execute or jail them. So I would guess the ones who hold hands are just friends.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,254,776 times
Quote:
There is acceptance of homosexuality in South Africa, but in many aspects social practices and acceptance is so fragmented, that it is very hard to generalize. An example is the widely practiced intimate male relationships that occurred when men were forced to travel long distances from their homes and live in close proximity with other men as happened in the hostels on the mines.

I strongly believe the cause of epidemic "corrective rape" of lesbians is largely due to the overwhelming patriarchal structure of the majority of African communities. Women and female children are viewed as property, and violent and sexual crimes against them is indicative of that regardless of their sexual orientation.

Quote:

Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,390,706 times
Quote:
Actually, same-sex marriage was only legalised in South Africa in 2006.

Quote:
It's not a matter of opinion.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Accoding to this survey, South Africa is slightly more tolerant of gay marriage than the African average:

African Attitudes To Homosexuality morally wrong statistics - Countries compared - NationMaster

However, the South African figures might be skewed by the country's high white European population, which would presumably respond with more tolerance than blacks, leaving South Africa's blacks about the middle of the pack. Note that except for Guinea, Uganda is the most tolerant of the countries surveyed. The top five, with the deepest conviction that homosexuality is wrong, are all predominately Christian countries, not Muslim.

It is very likely that South Africa's law permitting same-sex marriage might be an accommodation to the white population, and presumably very few Zulus would be inclined to take advantage of the law, nor care very much what tdifferent people want to do in the privacy of their own lives, which is a refreshing sentiment that Americans would do well to emulate.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-10-2013 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or