U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:15 PM

18,620 posts, read 16,419,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The use of the word "neighbors" is problematic. In some cultures, people live much closer to their neighbors than others, in the sense that it is much more important that neighbors can be relied on to be a part of your extended family or a part of your social group. In fact, neighbors are often literally extended family, as there is often intermarriage within a neighborhood. The more tightly-knit your "neighborhood" is, there more people will express concern about the character of the people who live there.

Americans don't care who their neighbors are because they don't even know their names, or even recognize them in the street. But in Africa, is of critical social importance to be in good standing with your neighbors, who will probably remain your neighbors for your entire life, owing to a lack of mobility options..
This is quite possibly the best post I've read in awhile. It's so true. This is why I've begun to hypothesize that the breakdown of the African-American family didn't come into being because of Great Society programs although it didn't help but simply through migration North. Before the Great migration Blacks led similarly sedentary lives and being in good standing with your neighbors was especially important considering the oppressive climate they lived in. If you alienated your neighbors you were left exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,758,291 times
Good luck finding a place today that isn't morally bankrupt. Still you paint with a broad brush to label the USA in only terms of those doing the most disgusting crimes on earth. I find that insulting.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,989,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
And I regard the United States as a very morally corrupt place. If I were to describe America in a few words I would say: serial killers, child abductors, serial rapists, pedophiles, hypocrites, and just overall bad people. Americans remind me of NAMBLA members who talk about how good they are. I think NAMBLA given its name was even started in the United States.

I remember reading a book for my Africology course (a liberal, feminist, Afro-centric field of study) that said no other industrialized nation on earth suffers from so high rates of social pathologies as the citizens of the United States of America. Even our liberals are mean and hateful when one dares even question one of their sacred dogmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinze75 View Post
Your comment is loaded with ignorance. Lets see if I can "ejumacate" you a bit

1. "United States as a very morally corrupt place"
Every countryhas their opinion on what is morally acceptable or not. The big difference with the US is that you have a right to that opinion. And you have the right to make the opinion public through free speech.
Various cultures have their mores, yes. I've already been "ejumacted" through an intro sociology course, thank you.

But I subscribe to the view that there are universal morals that exist irrespective of national origin, time, or people's opinions.

Breaking into some farmers house, raping his wife, and killing his children is always immoral. I don't care what contemporary American relativism says.

And you can speak quite freely in much of the world. The American panache for directing public funds to public art exhibitions for blasphemy is nothing sacred in my book. That this is lost on contemporary Americans just evidence how far down the hole its people have descended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Christ

Chris Ofili - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And NAMBLA seems to be an American product. I'll hazard a guess eventually it will be one of its exports to the world too.

North American Man/Boy Love Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
2. "If I were to describe America in a few words I would say: serial killers, child abductors, serial rapists, pedophiles, hypocrites, and just overall bad people."
Really? So all 300 million of us are serial killers etc. If that were the case wouldnt we have run out of people to kill?
I never said all Americans are serial killers. But serial killers seem to be disproportionately American.

Quote:
The irony of your stupid comment is that you live in the US (Milwaukee from your info). Now why would you live in a place with "overall bad people"?

If you are in America only to take advantage of the opportunities she offers but deep down you hate her, then you must be an overall very bad person yourself.
I was born and raised in the United States. The U.S. stole a lot of my life and has been catastrophic to my experience as a human. Only being reared in a Soviet gulag or in an Ethiopian famine might have been worse.

And I've given more to the U.S. than it has ever given to me.

I was educated grades 1 through 12 in Catholic schools (not public). My college education is not free but consists of a business arrangement between myself and the U.S. Government. Like all other things in the United States: it's business.

If I were born a citizen of another nation I might be receiving a college education for free. Even Mexico I think offers free college education to its citizens.

Quote:
You cannot keep sleeping with the "prostitute" and then accuse her of "prostitution" - that would make you a hypocrite.

Rethink your post - dont remain stupid
There is nothing to rethink. Your diction and tone in your replies depict the United States as a business arrangement (e.g. "prostitute") and business opportunities and not as a family and hearth of love and contemplative life.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 AM

17 posts, read 43,837 times
Quote:
Various cultures have their mores, yes. I've already been "ejumacted" through an intro sociology course, thank you.

But I subscribe to the view that there are universal morals that exist irrespective of national origin, time, or people's opinions.

Breaking into some farmers house, raping his wife, and killing his children is always immoral. I don't care what contemporary American relativism says.

And you can speak quite freely in much of the world. The American panache for directing public funds to public art exhibitions for blasphemy is nothing sacred in my book. That this is lost on contemporary Americans just evidence how far down the hole its people have descended.

And NAMBLA seems to be an American product. I'll hazard a guess eventually it will be one of its exports to the world too.

I never said all Americans are serial killers. But serial killers seem to be disproportionately American.

I was born and raised in the United States. The U.S. stole a lot of my life and has been catastrophic to my experience as a human. Only being reared in a Soviet gulag or in an Ethiopian famine might have been worse.

I was educated grades 1 through 12 in Catholic schools (not public). My college education is not free but consists of a business arrangement between myself and the U.S. Government. Like all other things in the United States: it's business.

If I were born a citizen of another nation I might be receiving a college education for free. Even Mexico I think offers free college education to its citizens.

There is nothing to rethink. Your diction and tone in your replies depict the United States as a business arrangement (e.g. "prostitute") and business opportunities and not as a family and hearth of love and contemplative life.

After reading your post I realized you are severely misinformed. Only thing I'm curious about is why you still choose to live in the United States since it appears she has done you wrong some how. Mexico is not far. You could move there you know

Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 AM

889 posts, read 1,014,613 times
What I think many fail to realize is that these answers about "different race" does not mean the people who responded don't want to live near whites or asians or whatever, in fact they probably never even considered it - because how many whites or asians even live in Africa?

No, it means that someone who is Hutu (black) does not want to live next to someone who is Tutsi (also black). It means that someone who is Igbo (black) does not want to live next to someone who is Yoruba (also black). Etc.

The vast majority of conflicts in Africa are ethnic clashes.

Whereas, conflicts in the Americas and Europe are generally not (especially now that Yugoslavia is gone).

So a German answering this question, they generally wouldn't even think twice about having a Polish or French neighbor. They likely wouldn't even care what ethnicity their neighbor was. But, again, a Hutu does not want to have a Tutsi living near them, it would be a big deal to them.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 AM

4,760 posts, read 5,429,966 times
Quote:
Clearly you have no understanding of the gulags or what famine really means. This comment is truly offensive and is an affront to all who really suffered in this world. If you suffer from something, it's being self-centered.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,344,098 times
Quote:
Good point. Often true.

I get the sense "community" is much more important in Africa too.

Liberals in the U.S. when in comes to "society" reminds me of conservatives when conservatives speaks about "economics."

The liberal will claim with respect to the society around a child, that it does not matter what is going on around him, that he should pull himself up by his own bootstraps morally, so to speak. The conservative says this about financial/economic matters though and not morals.

They both are wrong in my opinion.

And I regard the United States as a very morally corrupt place. If I were to describe America in a few words I would say: serial killers, child abductors, serial rapists, pedophiles, hypocrites, and just overall bad people. Americans remind me of NAMBLA members who talk about how good they are. I think NAMBLA given its name was even started in the United States.

I remember reading a book for my Africology course (a liberal, feminist, Afro-centric field of study) that said no other industrialized nation on earth suffers from so high rates of social pathologies as the citizens of the United States of America. Even our liberals are mean and hateful when one dares even question one of their sacred dogmas.
As a liberal myself, this is a very, very good point and one which I never thought of this way but I think you're right. Thanks for the education

Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 AM

18,620 posts, read 16,419,369 times
Why should Africans being tolerant of a disgusting lifestyle?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 AM

590 posts, read 663,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why should Africans being tolerant of a disgusting lifestyle?
Because the things that you or I determine to be disgusting lifestyles should not determine the rule of the land. I think that women having sex with a very harry overweight man with a nose ring is a bit disgusting, but we do not outlaw women from having sex with these men.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,594,899 times
Quote:

I take you never heard of the Bacha Bazi in Afghanistan or even the ancient Greeks. Pedophilia has been around since time immemorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or