U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,999 posts, read 1,989,551 times
Reputation: 568

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Clearly you have no understanding of the gulags or what famine really means. This comment is truly offensive and is an affront to all who really suffered in this world. If you suffer from something, it's being self-centered.
So, you disagree that the Soviet gulags and Ethiopian famines were worse than living in the United States? Thanks, another brilliant post from a C-D member.

You're United States is to you what a devout Catholic's Catholic Church is to them. Get it it? Got it? Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,999 posts, read 1,989,551 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinze75 View Post
After reading your post I realized you are severely misinformed. Only thing I'm curious about is why you still choose to live in the United States since it appears she has done you wrong some how. Mexico is not far. You could move there you know
I gave more to America than she ever gave to me. She owes me. But she's like a dead beat dad. I think of America the way a SNAP thinks of the Catholic Church. SNAP

And you are clergy. You are the Pope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I gave more to America than she ever gave to me. She owes me. But she's like a dead beat dad. I think of America the way a SNAP thinks of the Catholic Church. SNAP

And you are clergy. You are the Pope.
Consider for a moment, if you had been born and raised in, say, Bangladesh, in a typical, average family. Given the opportunity for education you would have had in Bangladesh, and the same national wealth from which to draw your share of income for the work you would have done up to this point in your life, estimate how much you would have earned so far. Then estimate your US earnings so far, plus the value of any benefits afforded to you without cost, including what your parents paid to raise you. Subtract all the taxes you have paid so far. Then subtract your estimate of how much you would have made in Bangladesh.

That is what America has given to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,620 posts, read 16,419,369 times
Reputation: 6347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Because the things that you or I determine to be disgusting lifestyles should not determine the rule of the land. I think that women having sex with a very harry overweight man with a nose ring is a bit disgusting, but we do not outlaw women from having sex with these men.
This is nonsensical. We in the West have determined homosexuality is now ok and I guess is a cultural value. However Africans can't say homosexuality is not ok and they don't want to condone it. Don't Africans have the right to organize their societies as they see fit? Or is this luxury only reserved for the West?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is nonsensical. We in the West have determined homosexuality is now ok and I guess is a cultural value. However Africans can't say homosexuality is not ok and they don't want to condone it. Don't Africans have the right to organize their societies as they see fit? Or is this luxury only reserved for the West?
No, we in the west haven't done that at all. What we have done is to decide that homosexuality exists as a human phenomenon, and that whether we approve of it or not, the kind and charitable thing to do is to admit those who present with the condition, to the bosom of our social embrace. Africans, in most cases, have not done this. Egalitarian societies are earned by those whose ethical codes deserve them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM
 
16 posts, read 34,074 times
Reputation: 10
I think it all has to do with money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,620 posts, read 16,419,369 times
Reputation: 6347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, we in the west haven't done that at all. What we have done is to decide that homosexuality exists as a human phenomenon, and that whether we approve of it or not, the kind and charitable thing to do is to admit those who present with the condition, to the bosom of our social embrace. Africans, in most cases, have not done this. Egalitarian societies are earned by those whose ethical codes deserve them.
The West's view point however is not supported by science or tradition so it has no more or less merit than the African viewpoint. In fact the West is in the minority view in relation to the whole globe as far as homosexuality is concern. The world views it as an act not an identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The West's view point however is not supported by science or tradition so it has no more or less merit than the African viewpoint. In fact the West is in the minority view in relation to the whole globe as far as homosexuality is concern. The world views it as an act not an identity.
That is true and there's no getting around that basic fact whether people want agree with it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,148,120 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why should Africans being tolerant of a disgusting lifestyle?
I think you are disgusting. Should society have to tolerate you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The West's view point however is not supported by science or tradition so it has no more or less merit than the African viewpoint. In fact the West is in the minority view in relation to the whole globe as far as homosexuality is concern. The world views it as an act not an identity.
Would you say telling the truth is not a good thing, because a majority of the people in the world are wiling to lie when they have something to gain by it? Because telling the truth is not supported by science or tradition? That being thrifty is not a good thing, because the majority wastes? Being even-tempered is not supported by science or tradition, and being angry is the what most people do, and anger is an act, not an identity? And peace is not supported by science or tradition, and has no more or less merit than war?

"What Would Jesus Do" asks us to reflect on the right thing to do, not the one supported by science or tradition. The lynch mob thanks you for your support.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-09-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top