U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:07 AM

41 posts, read 23,562 times

Advertisements

This is due to white supremacy. There has been a European colonization of Africa and the European influence covers over 85% of the motherland, this been happening for centuries now. Christianity is a very common practice in Africa which shows the European influence. Dont get me wrong there are still native African spirituality being practice but alot of Africans lost their way due to white supremacy and European colonization just like us African Americans! Those "African religions" are still practiced by native Africans but would be considered uncivilized or outlandish to the civilized man. Christianity and Islam are mainstream religions and has spreaded throughout the 4 corners of the world while those so called African religions are kept to their people and is not meant to spread outside their community or village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 04:18 AM

7,980 posts, read 3,458,329 times
This is because religion is like a disease. The white man has convinced these African nations just like they did in the US. They have made a mockery of religion. Spreading hate and intolerance to the poor nations and making them believe they have all the answers.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:46 AM

842 posts, read 653,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Most Yoruba's self identify as Yoruba in West Africa, My parents and grand parents do this weird thing were they can accurately tell which Nigerian ethnic group your from based on facial features. It is almost scary as 90% of the time they are right and to me these people just look like West Africans. I myself can only tell East Africans from West Africans and have a little trouble with Southern Africans from West Africans.
Since most Yoruba people in Nigeria live in a specific Yoruba homeland they identify as Yoruba people before Christian and Muslim, it is only when you see Yoruba people in America that you see them state their nation and religion first. For example Hausa's told me they were Hausa when I met them in Turkey but told my friends they were Nigerian Muslims, it depends on who they are talking to. Since I am half- Yoruba I say I am Yoruba, as Ijo people live in a specific coastal region of Nigeria where their is 1 or 2 cities that are Ijo majority (250,000+ people) and the rest live in a high density of tiny villages every couple miles around that city. My dad side is rural village living Nigerians and they will always identify as Ijo, as a larger percent of Ijo people are animists but due to the English finding them early when colonizing Africa I think they are still majority christian. My grandmother still believes in the power of a witch doctor liek man, to curse you with evil spirits same with my parents although they aren't as serious, but coming from an incredibly rural society, my grandmother on my dad's side doesn't even know how old she is or her date of birth, as she doesn't have any document stating so.

I dont see why that is weird, I am British Nigerian and usually I can tell which part of Nigeria someone comes from, just by looking at them as well.

Growing up in Europe, I can usually tell the region a European comes from. I assure you a Polish Blonde, looks very different to a Swedish Blonde or even a Finnish one. Even the Chinese look different by region with Southern Han Chinese typically being shorter and darker, than their northern counterparts. The mass movement of people is a very recent phenomenon in the main. I personally believe that local populations tended to select specific features through selection that folks in a particular region found attractive. Hence why people in certain places have specific features.

Back to religions, native religions amongst the Yoruba are still well known. The whole Pantheon of Yoruba and Igbo gods are still understood (Everyone knows who Olorun or Chukwu are). I dont see how the situation in Nigeria is any different to Greeks or Italians who no longer believe in Zeus or Jupiter? Or Scandinavians who don't revere Odin or Thor etc as dieties. In fact in Scandinavia, it is popular amongst some of the young to revere the old gods and some of them long for a return to pre-christian religions of Scandinavia.

Last edited by nograviti; 10-09-2015 at 04:56 AM..

Old 07-27-2018, 06:30 PM

691 posts, read 918,347 times
Africans still have their own religions, they have the annual Voodoo Festival in Benin and people come from all over the world
it think it was already this year 2018 not sure...There are many unexplained phenomena that take place.. Zangbetos that resemble "Haystacks" that spin, wiggle and dance with no one in them...I saw one of these moving objects at an African festival here in the States.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:39 PM

4,508 posts, read 3,090,953 times
i don't practice santaria

Old 07-29-2018, 10:45 PM

9,856 posts, read 10,104,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
But, my guess is the OP isn't really asking this with the intention of learning or educating themselves. It seems the OP's intention is more to create havoc, and come back to make other uninformed statements later.
Do you think so ?

Old 07-30-2018, 03:48 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Africans have their own religions but they were not successful enough to grow out and dominate huge territories and they failed to stop arab invaders or european invaders from spreading their religion.
Then Africans are clearly praying to the wrong Gods.

To be fair, with the current state of most blacks around the world as compared to other races, itís clear there is no religion currently in existence that is there to help or save us.

The black global community would have far better luck becoming agnostic/atheists and not depending on divine intervention for any issue based on reality.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:34 AM

56,510 posts, read 80,803,243 times
They do...

Old 07-30-2018, 12:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

I actually think there may be truth to this. Keep in mind I believe in one God. And polytheists...are worshipping other spirits. Those spirits might have dominion over some things, but not all things. They can only fulfill the wishes of their worshippers in those things they have dominion over. And it's a "quid pro quo" relationship. You have to give something to those spirits in order to get something. So not only do you risk making the spirit angry if you don't give it what it wants, but the real God is not going to be pleased with you because you are putting another entity on equal footing with him. So you're basically putting yourself in a position to be punished twice. But this is only my idea of things.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:41 AM

24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

To be fair, with the current state of most blacks around the world as compared to other races, itís clear there is no religion currently in existence that is there to help or save us.

The black global community would have far better luck becoming agnostic/atheists and not depending on divine intervention for any issue based on reality.
They're alive aren't they? That's all that's really needed.

There's absolutely no reason for Africans to want to be or do have everything white people supposedly have.

And it's not like things are perfect for white people. You have major issues with suicide and addiction among white Americans as well, and the US and Europe are currently both politically unstable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa