U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,172,752 times

Advertisements

OP, are you serious? First of all, why do you care what religion Africans choose to believe in, aren't you an atheist anyway? Second, you do realize that Christianity came from the Middle East, right? Christianity is not a European religion, and Jesus was a Semite, not a European. I agree with Tiger Beer, I hardly think you are here for any informed discussion, more like trolling for a reaction. Given your posting history, there is no way you can be this misinformed and using certain phrases to create a negative atmosphere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 05:33 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,568,954 times
Some people have very obviously never studied American or world history...a display of ignorance like this is a GD disgrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
There are a few white man religions that are successful in converting the africans to their religions. African Americans have totally absorbed white mans religion and worship blond blue eyed Jesus. Why have Africans never invented their OWN religions in the way that all other races have?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:37 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,568,954 times
I agree...it's a waste of time and shows the failure of the U.S educational system. No wonder the U.S is globally famous for the willful ignorance of it's people. The state of "idiocracy" is in full effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You should have spent the last 2 minutes using google with the keywords 'African Religions'. There could be libraries and cities built on that topic.

There are just so many things wrong with your post. For one, I believe Islam is more prevalent. I mean, if you're going with the argument that 'Africa has no religions beyond a blue eyed Jesus' argument, which is already wrong.

The unfortunate thing about this thread, is there will be someone who will spend half of their next few days trying to educate someone who has never googled or researched the topic. But, my guess is the OP isn't really asking this with the intention of learning or educating themselves. It seems the OP's intention is more to create havoc, and come back to make other uninformed statements later.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,991,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
To be fair Jesus and Muhammad were both black, and Jesus and his family use to live in Africa when Herod was killing the babies. Jesus never lived in Europe, so if anything the real question is why don't Europeans have their own religion?

Ultimately these are African religions.
Jesus--Yeshua--was a Hebrew, sacra, and as such was unlikely to be black by the sense we think of that descriptive racial term in the U.S.

(please don't go to scripture pointing out Jesus hair, skin, and eyes being described--as they seem to have been more liberal, creative, poetic like descriptions of Him than anything anthropologically precise.)

He likely looked like an Arab or Arab Jew. He may have had very dark tanned skin under the blazing sun.

But he probably looked more like this than like many European Jews of today.

Mizrahi Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mizrahi Jews Reach Out to the Arab World

Basically, Jesus probably looked like, or similar to, a Palestinian.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 AM

6,562 posts, read 9,072,595 times
Quote:

African Americans completely sold out to the white man and started worshiping blue eyed jesus and have not reverted to their old African religions if they had one to begin with.
I think this had much to do with which Europeans Africans were enslaved under and what the slave master's version of Christanity was.

Basically Africans enslaved under Spanish,Portugues and French slave masters were able to keep many African customs intact because those Europeans were less hostile to their slave's African culture in comparison to the British slave masters of the U.S. Also by the Spanish,Portuguese and French slave masters being catholic the Africans had saints to use to disquise their African deities behind. Slaves in protestant countries couldn't do this as much.

What I'm saying can explain why New Orleans had a tradition of vodou because of the French,Spanish and catholic heritages there.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,991,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I think this had much to do with which Europeans Africans were enslaved under and what the slave master's version of Christanity was.

Basically Africans enslaved under Spanish,Portugues and French slave masters were able to keep many African customs intact because those Europeans were less hostile to their slave's African culture in comparison to the British slave masters of the U.S. Also by the Spanish,Portuguese and French slave masters being catholic the Africans had saints to use to disquise their African deities behind. Slaves in protestant countries couldn't do this as much.

What I'm saying can explain why New Orleans had a tradition of vodou because of the French,Spanish and catholic heritages there.
Some say one of the reasons Catholicism is spreading throughout black Africa at so fast a rate today is in part due to black Africans traditionally having a strong veneration for their ancestors, and seeing no big conflict between that and veneration of the saints.

And I think your point has some historical and sociological truth to it.

Although, it kind of irks me to some degree when people like to overemphasize past dark skinned descendants of West Africa masking pagan deity worship through the saints. There's certain "less than" Catholic or second-class Catholic kind of undertones to it.

I'm mulatto and why should it automatically be assumed some what cat a half-a__ Catholic is automatically more "authentically" Catholic than me? (aside from the fact I'm not presently a practicing Catholic.)

My Germanic ancestors were pagans too. They worshiped trees and nature similar to a lot of past pagans from certain parts of Africa to the Amerindians.

I have no more desire to pray to some tree than I do to pray to some "god" of the ocean. In fact, I'm more Catholic than 90% of the so-called "liberal Catholics" that are white, and they go to Mass and I don't. You're unlikely to see me listen to the media and marry some Muslim chick, convert to her religion, and start dressing in a fashion we perceive as "Muslim."

Of course, I'm making some assumptions, right or wrong, more accurate or less accurate, about Katherine Russell the you woman photographed above. I'm sure she was taught in the media Catholicism oppresses women, is the source of all oppression, and Islam is greatly misunderstood. Thus one is "open minded."

Descendants of West African blacks and modern day black Africans can be just as--or more--Catholic than white Catholics in the U.S. and Europe. Trust that.

Angola Magazine - Réplica da nossa senhora da Múxima instalada na Argentina - parte 3/3- prog 44 - YouTube

Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM

12,700 posts, read 14,077,853 times
Quote:
We never hear of African religions among Africans. They seem to be accepting the white man's religions like Catholicism and mormonism in fair numbers. African Americans completely sold out to the white man and started worshiping blue eyed jesus and have not reverted to their old African religions if they had one to begin with.
This is not the case in Brazil certainly where there are many African derived religions, which have also attracted Brazilians whose origins don't go back to Africa. If you Google Candomblé, Umbanda or Macumba, that will be a start and lead to others.

In the Caribbean you have Obeah and Shango.

And the traditional religion of the Yoruba people in Nigeria and Benin has a highly developed mythology, ceremonies, etc.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 PM

9,438 posts, read 10,189,013 times
Religion as we know it today might be a convention of western society. It is formalized and separate from secular life. The concept that what has come before and what will come after is more important than the present is a cultural universal. Ceremonies acknowledging this concept vary from one culture to the next.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 9,211 times
Quote:
We never hear of African religions among Africans. They seem to be accepting the white man's religions like Catholicism and mormonism in fair numbers. African Americans completely sold out to the white man and started worshiping blue eyed jesus and have not reverted to their old African religions if they had one to begin with.
If there is only one God, and that one God created us all, we should probably all be worshipping Him. To me, the idea that religious beliefs should be determined by skin color is preposterous. If a Black person living in Africa believes in Jesus Christ and accepts His teachings, why shouldn't he be Catholic, Mormon, Lutheran, Methodist, or any other Christian denomination? And if that person wants to imagine Jesus as blond and blue-eyed, or as black as night, who on earth should care? It's what Jesus taught that matters, not what color His skin was. I'd worship Him no matter what color I believed His skin to be. Why should this be any different for anybody else?

Angela

Last edited by Avenging Angel; 06-30-2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 03:07 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,430,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Post #1 are you upset with the posts on in the Angola and Botswana threads that depict Africa as civilized and on par with Europe?

A ask because I'm half German-American and half black. My Germanic side only got its language and civility from Christianity. As the pagan Romans noted of them much prior to that, the Germanic tribes were barbarians. So, they were civilized from a non-European religion. A kingdom in what is now Ethiopia in faact made Christianity the state religion before Rome ever did. At least 3 kingdoms did before Rome.

Not what you're taught in indoctrination, I know. But then you knew that.

I see no reasons Africans can not be peaceful with each other and work together irrespective of their religions, but I'm sure the enemies of Africa would hate to see that.

Divide and conquer is the name of the game.

I am happy China is doing development in Africa rather than the United States NSA.
Very true. The Romans had a lot to do with spreading "civilization" in Europe. There wasn't an equivalent African empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa