U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:11 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,948,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Wow, are people unaware that African people are the oldest civilization on the earth, and they had a deep religious and spiritual sense, long before Europeans were even colonized groups.
It's the same with American, people think American only had people AFTER Columbus, Indians were here so far and so long before Columbus ancestors were even born, and they had their religion and they were spiritual too.

The world did not start when white people started chronicling THEIR VERSION of data and proclaiming themselves as the masters of the world.
I like this post.

I've heard that humans are naturally ingrained to be spiritual so if course Africans had Religions before white people destroyed everything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,216,599 times
The do have their religions but not to the degree as rest of world. If you watch documentarys you will find this spoken about. Once coming to the US they usually convert to religions that blacks hold here.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:01 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,216,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I like this post.

I've heard that humans are naturally ingrained to be spiritual so if course Africans had Religions before white people destroyed everything...
Yes have to agree. Well no matter what race, all will be judged in the end for our deeds and thats not going to be good.I have always defended the rights of the Indian who I felt were the originals therefore take presedence over even the blacks.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:22 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerrunner View Post
I can only speak about Zimbabwe as I lived there until the age of twenty; but at least in that part of Africa Animism is quite widespread, in spite of the efforts of 20th century missionaries.

Even the term "animism" is culturally loaded, as it suggests a primitive worship of a tree, or an animal, with no philosophical thinking or values under pinning this belief system.

The Yoruba religion is every bit as complex as Hinduism, and Catholicism. That it enjoys less prestige, even among Yorubas, is more connected to colonialism, where the delivery of education through the use of missionaries, convinced Africans that it was "devil worship".

Old 09-05-2015, 03:15 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,313,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just re-read the OP. It is a perfectly legitimate question, based on verifiable assumptions (except the blue eyes), and the only ignorance it reflects is that the OP does not know the answer to the question he asked. He is asking you for an answer. If you have one, give it to him in a civil fashion. If you don't know the answer, either, go back and read my posts (#25, 38, 41) for an explanation.

How can the OP be considered to have posted a perfectly legitimate question when he follows up one response with this:

"Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Well, I'm trying not to be ignorant, unlike your african brothers and sisters."

This is a TROLL if ever there was one...

Old 09-05-2015, 03:30 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,313,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Yes, I know that JC was of jewish extraction, but he is portrayed as blond, blue eyed in some churches. I'm much more interested in learning about African American culture than Africans. But I find it odd when newspaper articles are always claiming that the catholics and mormons are experiencing rapid growth in African countries, which begs the question, "why don't the Africans have religions of their own?", and what makes the white man's religions so appealing to them? fyi, I went to st patricks church in San Francisco and saw a statue of a black jesus in the back of the church! What a shock that was.
And here you have the crux of the matter. OP here and in original post emphasizes 'their OWN' religion. Now OP is SHOCKED to see a BLACK JESUS. LOL. There are lots of statues of black Jesuses throughout the world. Hate to disappoint you. It seems clear that the OP doesn't want to 'share' Jesus with black people, be they African or African American. Read his OP and then this and compare. OP is being disingenuous in his/her original post and now his/her intent is becoming clearer.

Here's a 'gem':

Well, I'm trying not to be ignorant, unlike your african brothers and sisters.

Here's another unbelievable treasure:

"Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No, I actually am inquisitive about other worldly things. I am a bit lazy when it comes to research and like firsthand comments from people. That being said, I wouldn't want even more prejudiced african people emigrating to my country. They can fester in their own intolerant countries."

I feel badly for those of you who have sincerely responded with attempts to educate this obvious TROLL. OP clearly is not interested in 'learning' about African American culture AT ALL.

And that is my HO.

Last edited by tangelag; 09-05-2015 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 06:19 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,808,700 times
Africans have their own religions but they were not successful enough to grow out and dominate huge territories and they failed to stop arab invaders or european invaders from spreading their religion.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Even the term "animism" is culturally loaded, as it suggests a primitive worship of a tree, or an animal, with no philosophical thinking or values under pinning this belief system.

The Yoruba religion is every bit as complex as Hinduism, and Catholicism. That it enjoys less prestige, even among Yorubas, is more connected to colonialism, where the delivery of education through the use of missionaries, convinced Africans that it was "devil worship".
Yeah I am half Yoruba watch any African movie and anyone practicing animism is seen as a demon the only people seen in any good light is witch doctors for their medicinal knowledge, besides that Animist Yoruba's are often those who live in villages and eat weird foods (cough* maggots my dad is from a small african ethnicity that enjoys eating maggots (Ijo) Cough*. Most Nigerian preachers wold try to cast the demon out of animist believers. Animism though makes up less than 10% of Nigeria's belief and since Nigeria is very urbanized compared to surrounding nations we are one of the smaller nations in percent of believers who are animist, I mean their are probably around 10-60 million believers of animism in Africa but that is over 1000 different religions who would be classified as animists but would view other animists just like Christians and Islam as outsiders. Even the biggest animist religion has less has 2-5 million followers I think traditional Yoruba is the biggest as it is the poster child for African Animism).
Africa has its own religions it is just that they aren't one collective group but 1000's of small often village living people, who are viewed as uncivilized peoples by many Africans.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:04 PM

137 posts, read 106,411 times
Well, the "clicking" Bushmen do practice shamanic "ecstatic shaking," although many of them are apparently "mixed" from Eurasian back migration and a dying breed often bullied by other African tribes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfUHQ2kCg1U

Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,689,984 times
Quote:
There are a few white man religions that are successful in converting the africans to their religions. African Americans have totally absorbed white mans religion and worship blond blue eyed Jesus. Why have Africans never invented their OWN religions in the way that all other races have?
I recommend you to read about santeria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa