Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 PM

572 posts, read 1,865,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
But much of that can be blamed on corrupt governments stealing from their countries. There is a role that multinational corporations play in this but these multinationals seem to be taking advantage of the corruption and lack of transparency that already exist with these African governments.

As I stated before on another post there is no such thing as national allegiances when you get to the upper echelons of the economic game. The so-called "One percent", the upper/ruling classes, they don't care about being a "Nigerian", or an "Egyptian", or an "American." All they care about is money, and how to get it. They don't care about what they are doing to their countries, they are not like regular people; this is a whole 'nother beast.

These multinational corporations and African regimes are basically the same people; they are on the same team: the "Get Money" team. Multinationals are not taking advantage of anything, they have partners in these countries; and a partnership is a mutual thing. They work together because of the power and influence they hold in their respective regions of the world. The only people that are getting taken advantage of is the lower classes (everyone who is not in the one percent).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 12:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,354,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I see yet another thread hijacked by this pseudoscientific nonsense.

The issue is not that some groups currently have differing IQs, that is easy to determine by analyzing IQ test scores. The issue is understanding the real reason for this. The reasons are nuances of culture and parenting. Particularly early childhood parenting. The history of IQ scores among groups is not consistent with your "biodiversity" rationale. It is important to understand the real reasons why things are the way they are instead of giving in to lazy, poorly considered fantasies.

Regarding the actual topic of this thread, the history of mankind is one in which poor, corrupt, oppresive leadership has been the norm. In fact europe always had overwhelmingly bad leaders until very recently in its history. The reason for that recent change was the enlightenment and democracy replacing monarchy and dictatorship in most nations, especially after the world wars.

Africa was backward and had no democratic nor progressive philosophical tradition. Their people and leaders tended to possess traditionalist attitudes about power, leadership and society, as a result africas leaders in the early post colonial era more closely resembled europes leaders of centuries past than the europe of today. I think that with rising literacy rates, and a younger generation of leaders with modern "westernized" attitudes and educations, we will see some of the old authoritarian tendencies to fall away in many countries.
Yeah seems like a convoluted way to say Europeans on average have higher IQs than Africans and thus were able to develop systems that maximized their advantage in global economic affairs.

More PC I guess but not seeing how what you wrote actually refutes what I said.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,354,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Comments about "the Africans" or "the Arabs" or "the Orientals" or "the (_fill in the blank_) show a complete lack of understanding of the word PEOPLE. To answer any of these questions about 'PEOPLE', one only needs to look at oneself for the answer. So, why does Africa have bad leaders? If you were in the position to exploit your power ... would you remain a "good leader"? Since this is a rhetorical question, save your lies for yourself.

El Nox
Not sure what this rant is getting at exactly but human beings are human beings. They will work to protect their advantage at all costs. The West is unique in that it is decidedly more altruistic than most societies including Africans. For example organized philanthropy is a decidedly Western endeavor. Bill Gates pretty much gave up his billion donor pledge in Asia, the Asian billionaires thought he was crazy. You want me to give most of my wealth to charity? Poppycock!

In Africa you can have a committed Marxist like José Eduardo dos Santos come to power and poof his daughter is worth $3 billion. No shame, no need to hide in fact when Forbes announced it in their blog, Angolan TV lauded it as a source of national pride.

When I read comments about how decidedly evil the West is I just chuckle. Do people think the Chinese or Russians are any better? The incessant whining by folks like mdiggs1 would be greeted by shrugs at best at worst liquidation.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM

572 posts, read 1,865,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not sure what this rant is getting at exactly but human beings are human beings. They will work to protect their advantage at all costs. The West is unique in that it is decidedly more altruistic than most societies including Africans. For example organized philanthropy is a decidedly Western endeavor. Bill Gates pretty much gave up his billion donor pledge in Asia, the Asian billionaires thought he was crazy. You want me to give most of my wealth to charity? Poppycock!

In Africa you can have a committed Marxist like José Eduardo dos Santos come to power and poof his daughter is worth $3 billion. No shame, no need to hide in fact when Forbes announced it in their blog, Angolan TV lauded it as a source of national pride.

When I read comments about how decidedly evil the West is I just chuckle. Do people think the Chinese or Russians are any better? The incessant whining by folks like mdiggs1 would be greeted by shrugs at best at worst liquidation.
I'm sorry, I was not aware that I was whining. Could you elaborate more on exactly what I am whining about? You know, my small negro brain doesn't work as well as some other posters, so you may have to post your thoughts a few more times.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,440,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not sure what this rant is getting at
"rant"?

BTW ... I'm not too sure what the point YOUR "rant" is trying to make.

O well.

El Nox

Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 AM

18,446 posts, read 18,592,490 times
Ignorance and fear of the people who vote them in.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,195,528 times
Race/IQ: Irish IQ & Chinese IQ | The American Conservative

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,686,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
"...acknowledge some uncomfortable realities."

Dude, the only uncomfortable reality is that people like you exist in the 21st century; no disrespect.

You actually believe a MAN-MADE test created by white supremacists in a time when it was legal to put up a sign that said "We dont hire blacks."

And dont give me that "Africa is poor because of low IQ." Africa is poor because of capitalism; capitalism is competition, and in competition you have winners and losers, i.e. people with good jobs and people with bad jobs. The good jobs are concentrated in Canada, The US, and Western Europe. The bad jobs are everywhere else. Capitalism aint got nothing to do with with your Santa Claus test.

It's poor because an ' ISM alright!!! TRIBALISM pure and simple......And cut the crap on winners and losers from capitalism...It's a good bet a poor Black person in Africa would trade places with a poor Black person in the US in a second......

Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,594,969 times
hmmm...Anybody for an African country that IS doing well? Economically? Politically? And by that I mean say societal representation in the government where they have input.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,946,211 times
I think it's largely because of divisions imposed by the outside world. Independent African countries are a hodgepodge of different ethnic groups only united by the fact that the same colonial power established the boundaries. In other cases ethnic groups found themselves split among two different countries due to the same process. Then there are the conflicting missionary groups further dividing people into Muslims versus Christians and Christians versus other types of Christians. And the conflicting Cold War ideologies during the latter half of the twentieth century. Without some kind of unifying principal across a country, it's substantially harder to work together for the common good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa