U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 AM

6,566 posts, read 9,080,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
Most Africans do not do this.

At least those that I know. Only fringe & afro-centric elements do exactly what you are describing.

The typical African is bitingly critical of his/her society and government.
That's been an observation I've made. This is why I've moved away from the Black-American-Afrocentric views of Africa. You get too much romanticism and conspiracies with them involving Africa. They are reluctant to blame African leaders and their policies for the continent's problems because they view Africans as being pure,righteous,holy and majestic. This is why I try to learn about Africa from actual continental Africans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,708,653 times
You know if the 'typical African' is bitingly critical' as noted I'm not so sure African politcial institutions enable that point to be ehard within governments. Question is then why is it so hard to effect change. Afrcian are no different from anybody else on this planet. They want to live good lives, have good work and to enjoy their families and friends. If we see what's going on there on the continent, it looks pretty hard to get that in some places. That frustration I think will one day have a consequence.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know if the 'typical African' is bitingly critical' as noted I'm not so sure African politcial institutions enable that point to be ehard within governments. Question is then why is it so hard to effect change.
This link may answer some of your questions on how to bring about changes on the continent.

Opinion: What Ghana can teach the rest of Africa about democracy - CNN.com

Old 09-01-2013, 01:29 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
Most Africans do not do this.

At least those that I know. Only fringe & afro-centric elements do exactly what you are describing.

The typical African is bitingly critical of his/her society and government.
I believe you. I guess it goes to show that internet forums are not reflective of societies mindsets.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:57 PM

48,270 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There is a reason human biodiversity isn't popular or mainstream. It forces people to acknowledge some uncomfortable realities. That doesn't make them untrue. I'm Black and I don't like that the average IQ of Blacks is low but I've made peace with it.

It's not complicated. The complication comes when folks contort themselves into knots to argue it is not true.
I would never make peace with this because it doesn't help me. I care about what helps ME in the end.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:09 PM

69 posts, read 121,384 times
When the Europeans took over, they made sure that all power was vested in the White race. Then, when they left, they left populations who didn't have the right skills.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post
When the Europeans took over, they made sure that all power was vested in the White race. Then, when they left, they left populations who didn't have the right skills.
Europe's elite also did that in East, South-East, and South Asia and Latin America. You don't see those regions blaming white people for their problems. Those regions have all embraced industrialization and are working hard to bring better lives to their people.

Its funny how you say that Africans don't have the skills to develop their countries. South Korea was poorer than Ghana fifty years ago. Fifty years prior to that and Ireland was probably poorer than several African countries. These nations were even worse off than Africa is today. They taught themselves the skills they needed to develop. Africans need to teach themselves as well. It is not the responsibility of other people to hold your hand through everything.

This is something Haiti needs to learn as well. Haitians love to blame the world for Haiti's problems, yet they will never reflect on their own cultural flaws. But that is for another topic.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,708,653 times
motion...

Very good overview of the Ghanian situation. The institutions there do seem to work. Unfortunately, some other African nations do not have the wherewithal to effect free broadcast and print media and the civil society groups watching the political process. As we can see, some African political leaders believe unfettered unilateral power is the way to effect change. From the looks of it, Africa may be dealing with that for quite a while.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 AM

609 posts, read 467,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post

The Africans didnt have the right skills prior to the European invasions.
Which is in fact the reason they were conquered in the first place. During this colonial period it should not be forgotten that European nations were constantly at war with and attempting to conquer one another. The reason they were not able to long subdue or annex their european neighbors is because they were all at roughly the same civilizational level. In an earlier time in Europes history, when there was one nation that was far more advanced than the others, this was not the case and that nation was able to colonize and control other european lands for long periods.

And when that powerful nation retracted and weakened, and left their former northern european colonies to themselves, those backward colonies for a time descended into tribal warfare. It took many generations before they were got their footing and became something we today would regard as "civilized". What we are seeing with africas post colonial development has historical precedent.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post

The Africans didnt have the right skills prior to the European invasions.
I don't think it's as simple as that. Various pre-colonial African societies didn't have the technology that Europeans had but they did have good political and governing skills prior to Europeans coming.

The Luba empire of modern day central-southern Africa was a good example of African pre-colonial governing skills. These are skills that Africa's new post-colonial leadership should have built on or modernized for their new countries.

Quote:
The Luba empire's expansion was due to its development of a form of government that was durable enough to withstand the disruptions of succession disputes and flexible enough to incorporate foreign leaders and governments. Based on twin principles of sacred kingship (balopwe) and rule by council, the Luba model of statecraft was adopted by the Lunda and spread throughout the region that is today northern Angola, northwestern Zambia, and southern Democratic Republic of Congo.

Kingdom of Luba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or