U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,673,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I've always found this Hispanic/Latino designation as very diluting to the individual countries. Also wasn't the term Hispanic adopted by the US during the Nixon era to label all these diverse nations under the one heading?

The term literally means of Spain. The term is very Eurocentric. Sometimes terms become so diverse and over used that they lose all meaning.

All English speaking countries and people aren't labelled Anglo. Imagine calling Jamaicans Anglo? Even countries that have a tenuous link to Spain are called Hispanic. So no I wouldn't call people from Equatorial Guinea Hispanic.
Yes, the term Hispanic/Latino is flawed bit Equatorial Guineans are in fact Hispanic/Latino. The term does apply to them too and it can further apply to them on forms etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 AM

2,646 posts, read 4,064,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Yes, the term Hispanic/Latino is flawed bit Equatorial Guineans are in fact Hispanic/Latino. The term does apply to them too and it can further apply to them on forms etc.
Aren't they primarily African though? Just because a small percentage of the population speak Spanish doesn't make them Hispanic does it?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Aren't they primarily African though? Just because a small percentage of the population speak Spanish doesn't make them Hispanic does it?
You seem to be misunderstanding things here.

Hispanic/Latino just means coming from a place that speaks Spanish. Hispanic/Latino is NOT a race. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race or racial admixture, including BLACK.

No one is doubting that Equatorial Guineans are AFRICANS. They ARE Africans.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 AM

2,646 posts, read 4,064,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
You seem to be misunderstanding things here.

Hispanic/Latino just means coming from a place that speaks Spanish. Hispanic/Latino is NOT a race. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race or racial admixture, including BLACK.

No one is doubting that Equatorial Guineans are AFRICANS. They ARE Africans.
No I know what it means. The term to me is very much tinged with colonialism. As I said why aren't all the English speaking nations called Anglo? India still doesn't call itself British India even though they were a British colony and still speak English?

I'm Irish and I wouldn't want to be labelled Anglo so I don't know why people that were colonised want to keep calling themselves Hispanic.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The main official language of Equitorial Guinea is Spanish. So most people there speak it and/or understand it. In addition it's part of the cultural and Catholic religious life of the nation as well. In the islands on the gulf and coasts it's presence is effervescent and oh so forever predominant and strong and many have Spanish ancestry as well. So it is in fact very Hispanic/Latino.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
No I know what it means. The term to me is very much tinged with colonialism. As I said why aren't all the English speaking nations called Anglo? India still doesn't call itself British India even though they were a British colony and still speak English?

I'm Irish and I wouldn't want to be labelled Anglo so I don't know why people that were colonised want to keep calling themselves Hispanic.
Hispanic is just a reference to the shared Spanish speaking cultural heritage. If an Equitoreal Guinean was around other Spanish speakers and vice versa they'd obviously find whichever way they can relate to each other. So many different contexts and labels can apply that sum up connections mutually between ppl.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:48 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,471,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
just found out about a country in Africa called Equatorial Guinea and it's official language is Spanish, does this make them Hispanic?
Yes. Of course they are Hispanic!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
Can an immigrant from Equatorial Guinea to the USA call themselves a Hispanic African-American?
I have no idea.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Can an immigrant from Equatorial Guinea to the USA call themselves a Hispanic African-American?
They'd be Hispanic Africans.

They would not be African Americans!

Old 10-20-2014, 03:37 AM

Quote:
I call it tripe.
Menudo, mondongo, chitterlings, chitlins basically is tripe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa