U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 01:43 PM

695 posts, read 736,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Which is why Hispanic is a term which is meaningless outside of the USA. Within the USA they are put in the same box, which leads to some level of common identification. Not so outside of the USA.

The DR has more in common with Brazil, which is NOT Hispanic, than it does with Argentina. Both Brazil and the DR are Afro Latin cultures, something which Argentina isn't.

I often wonder why people always wish to ignore the non European elements within these cultures of the Americas as they seek to define what people are.

Most of that has to do with the fact that European elements are the ones that make up the social framework, authority, etc and thus over time people in the former colonies tend to assimilate towards European, western norms rather than African or Indigenous ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 04:24 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Most of that has to do with the fact that European elements are the ones that make up the social framework, authority, etc and thus over time people in the former colonies tend to assimilate towards European, western norms rather than African or Indigenous ones.

Except that Caribbean people are NOT Europeans and the problems that they have faced in the UK, France, and the Netherlands, is evidence of this. In addition Europeans visiting the Caribbean definitely know that they are in a different culture.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:25 AM

570 posts, read 370,638 times
Yes they are!

Juvenal: "Si Guinea Ecuatorial es una dictadura, ¿qué hace España yendo a jugar?" - YouTube

Entrevista con Teodoro Obiang Nguema, presidente de Guinea Ecuatorial - YouTube

Ambassador Discusses Equatorial Guinea's Native Languages - YouTube

As well as the Philippines and Guam.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:02 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,222,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Hispanic is a CULTURAL and ETHNIC term. It is not linguistic. Francophone refers to those whose official language is French. It doesn't imply that they share any cultural or ethnic identities with others who also speak French.
hispanic is a stupid term coined in the united states to classify its mexican population, then it was extended to include everyone who speaks spanish who comes from south of the border

I am from Colombia and the first time I heard that stupid term was when I visited the US

most colombians don't even realize they are supposed to be hispanic, if you go to my country and u call us hispanics people are gonna look at you like (huh?)

by the way, the vast majority of colombians have no ethnic affiliation to spain in any way

Old 11-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,166 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
hispanic is a stupid term coined in the united states to classify its mexican population, then it was extended to include everyone who speaks spanish who comes from south of the border

I am from Colombia and the first time I heard that stupid term was when I visited the US

most colombians don't even realize they are supposed to be hispanic, if you go to my country and u call us hispanics people are gonna look at you like (huh?)

by the way, the vast majority of colombians have no ethnic affiliation to spain in any way
A province in the Roman Empire:

Hispania

Hispania, Mauretania et Africa (Spain, Portugal, and Northern Africa)

Hispanic
1. of or pertaining to Spain or Spanish-speaking countries.
2. Also, Hispan′ic-Amer′ican. of or pertaining to Hispanics.
n.
3. Also, Hispan′ic Amer′ican. a U.S. citizen or resident of Spanish or Latin-American descent.
Hispanic - definition of Hispanic by The Free Dictionary

The Spanish Island (La Española, originally given that name by Christopher Columbus because the island reminded him of Spain. Today, most of the people with Spanish ancestry live in the Dominican Republic side of the island which was the original Spanish colony before the French arrived and took over the western coast that eventually gave rise to Francophone Haiti.)

Hispaniola Map (HIS016) | Wavey Line Charts

Hispania was in Latin and Hispanic is its English form. It simply means of Spanish origin and all the Spanish-speaking countries were for centuries part of Spain, their cultures are based on Spanish culture (with heavy non-Spanish influences added), and in all of them (except Equatorial Guinea, Philippines, and Bolivia) most of the population has Spanish ancestry whether its full or mixed with something else. Originally, in the United States people referred to anyone from Hispanic America as "Spanish" because not only did they speak Spanish, but also during the centuries they were Spanish too, even the non-white ones.

Its also quite foolish to claim that Colombians have no ethnic affiliations with Spain when in Colombia the rarity is to find a person without some Spanish ancestry and practically all Colombians have heavy Spanish cultural influences.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:23 PM

On a more topic related note,

Equatorial Guinea is not a Hispanic country (and neither is the Philippines and for the same reasons.) Why do I say that? Because the mother tongue of most Equatorial Guineans is not Spanish, is one of the indigenous languages of their country (in Philippines most people speak Filipino.) That is the most basic definition of what is Hispanic or Latin, the individual must have a Latin or Hispanic language as his mother tongue. There certainly are Equatorial Guineans that are Hispanic (regardless whether they have Spanish blood or not), but these types are a minority.

If every person that has Spanish as their second (or third or fourth) language was to be considered Hispanic, then there are many millions more people in the United States (I use this country as reference because most people that visit this website are from or live in the USA) would be Hispanic than currently are. In fact, millions of African Americans and Anglo-Americans would be considered Hispanic and we all know that is not the case. You have to learn the language at home and speak it within your family, at the very least, to be Hispanic.

Why is the mother tongue important for defining people? Because language is very dynamic and the way things are said is not the same in every language. Sometimes its very hard to translate some words from one language to another for the simple fact that there may not exist an equivalent word in the language to be translated to. Sometimes there are concepts that exist in one language and simply doesn't exist in another language. All of this and more impacts the way people see the world, how they understand it, and with whom they are culturally much closer (usually to other people that also speak the same mother tongue compared to people with different mother tongues.) Language definitely molds the world in which we live in and how we understand it.

To conclude, Equatorial Guinea is not a Hispanic country. There certainly are thousands of Equatorial Guineans regardless of color or race that are Hispanic, and their government can be said to be Hispanic too, but they don't make up most of the population.

With the Philippines its even less so, because the Filipino government is not Hispanic at all unlike the Equatorial Guinean government. This is actually quite interesting because in the American Afro-Hispanic countries, their government is Hispanic and most of their populations are Hispanic too; in the Philippines their government is not Hispanic and most of their population is not Hispanic either; but, in Equatorial Guinea their government is Hispanic, but most of their population is not Hispanic. Equatorial Guinea is a textbook example of a country that truly has a colonial situation whereas in the Philippines and in Afro-Hispanic America the government and the people are Hispanic (are not Hispanic in the case of Philippines), so there is really no imposition of a foreign culture unto a group of people that doesn't even share heritage with the country of origin of the culture. In Hispanic America most people do have Spanish ancestry, usually mixed with something else. But in the Philippines and in Equatorial Guinea most people don't, but in the Philippines the government speaks mainly Filipino just like its people, but in Equatorial Guinea the government speaks a language that most of the people simply don't speak from brith.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:49 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,222,826 times
AntonioR good for spain that is called hispania, it has nothing to do with me... I am colombian and don't have any lineage or family from spain (That I know of) and conquistadors 500 years ago don't count either.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:34 AM

45 posts, read 49,137 times
Those blacks Hispanic? You must be joking. They are African. Negro. Congoid. Whatever name fits. I live in Africa but will never be a black African. Nor my descendants. Call us white, Afrikaners, Europeans whatever. If I move to China and I had kids there they would not be Chinese. They would still be white. They will never be Chinese.

By the same reasoning, all the blacks, muslims, Pakistanis etc moving to Britain are not british and will never be, no matter what wishful thinking PC liberals use.

By the same reason, what percent of latin America is of pure Spanish bloodline? Perhaps they are Hispanic. The rest are Mexican, Colombian, Chilean etc. Why americans call them Hispanic who knows? They have nothing to do with spain, except over 100 years ago they were under Spanish rule. Im now under black rule and guess what? Im still not black. Im white.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
AntonioR good for spain that is called hispania, it has nothing to do with me... I am colombian and don't have any lineage or family from spain (That I know of) and conquistadors 500 years ago don't count either.
Unless that you are a Amerindian (Indian), you have some Spanish in you. If you doubt it, why not do a DNA ancestry test? Don't be surprised when Spain pops up and all of the Spanish cousins that will be linked to you too.

The Spanish genetic input predominates in the average Colombian (red = European genes or DNA which is mostly Spanish in countries like Colombia):

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/Supp...expansion.html'

Another plot (red=European DNA, green=African DNA, blue=Amerindian DNA) and Colombians on average have the European input as the largest in their DNA:

http://racialreality.blogspot.com/20...f-latinos.html

By the way, I haven't seen any DNA tests done on Equatorial Guineans, and don't know if any have been done yet, but I suspect the typical Equatorial Guinean's DNA looks like African samples in the last graph, quite different from the Afro-Hispanic Caribbean (Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic.) The typical Equatorial Guinean can definitely say they have no affiliations or ancestral connection to Spain because most of them don't, but Colombians can't say that without fooling themselves or being in denial.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-13-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 12:19 PM

695 posts, read 736,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
On a more topic related note,

Equatorial Guinea is not a Hispanic country (and neither is the Philippines and for the same reasons.) Why do I say that? Because the mother tongue of most Equatorial Guineans is not Spanish, is one of the indigenous languages of their country (in Philippines most people speak Filipino.) That is the most basic definition of what is Hispanic or Latin, the individual must have a Latin or Hispanic language as his mother tongue. There certainly are Equatorial Guineans that are Hispanic (regardless whether they have Spanish blood or not), but these types are a minority.

If every person that has Spanish as their second (or third or fourth) language was to be considered Hispanic, then there are many millions more people in the United States (I use this country as reference because most people that visit this website are from or live in the USA) would be Hispanic than currently are. In fact, millions of African Americans and Anglo-Americans would be considered Hispanic and we all know that is not the case. You have to learn the language at home and speak it within your family, at the very least, to be Hispanic.

Why is the mother tongue important for defining people? Because language is very dynamic and the way things are said is not the same in every language. Sometimes its very hard to translate some words from one language to another for the simple fact that there may not exist an equivalent word in the language to be translated to. Sometimes there are concepts that exist in one language and simply doesn't exist in another language. All of this and more impacts the way people see the world, how they understand it, and with whom they are culturally much closer (usually to other people that also speak the same mother tongue compared to people with different mother tongues.) Language definitely molds the world in which we live in and how we understand it.

To conclude, Equatorial Guinea is not a Hispanic country. There certainly are thousands of Equatorial Guineans regardless of color or race that are Hispanic, and their government can be said to be Hispanic too, but they don't make up most of the population.

With the Philippines its even less so, because the Filipino government is not Hispanic at all unlike the Equatorial Guinean government. This is actually quite interesting because in the American Afro-Hispanic countries, their government is Hispanic and most of their populations are Hispanic too; in the Philippines their government is not Hispanic and most of their population is not Hispanic either; but, in Equatorial Guinea their government is Hispanic, but most of their population is not Hispanic. Equatorial Guinea is a textbook example of a country that truly has a colonial situation whereas in the Philippines and in Afro-Hispanic America the government and the people are Hispanic (are not Hispanic in the case of Philippines), so there is really no imposition of a foreign culture unto a group of people that doesn't even share heritage with the country of origin of the culture. In Hispanic America most people do have Spanish ancestry, usually mixed with something else. But in the Philippines and in Equatorial Guinea most people don't, but in the Philippines the government speaks mainly Filipino just like its people, but in Equatorial Guinea the government speaks a language that most of the people simply don't speak from brith.
The same could be said for Bolivia, Paraguay and parts of Ecuador and Peru where Spanish is spoken as a second, foreign language by wide portions of the population who are of Indigenous ancestry and have no ties to Spain whatsoever. If Equatorial Guinea isn't hispanic then neither is Bolivia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa