U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 11:22 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,934,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I'm perfectly aware about the origins of reggaeton, caribny

So why not say that all of these genres are AFRICAN and then allow Africans to play reggae, reggaeton, or what ever. All of these musics are rooted in Africa, so Africans are merely reclaiming what is theirs.

If Jamaicans didn't create reggae there would have been no reggaeton, so its laughable for you to claim that it is Latin American, meaning that any one who plays it is Hispanic.

Interesting that Brazilians are much closer culturally to Cubans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans, yet refuse to consider themselves to be Hispanic, yet you really think that Equatorial Guineans are Hispanic.

Tell the English that Nigerians are fellow Anglo Saxons, merely because they speak English, and have elements of British colonial culture, and I will accept your claims that Equatorial Guineans are Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 02:54 AM

852 posts, read 808,825 times
I think that if they want to consider themselves Hispanics, then they are. The idea of classifying others as we see fit, not appealing at all if you ask me.
I wish a national from Equatorial Guinea could come and tell us, what does she/he thinks they consider themselves to be.

Edit. Incidentally, every time I watch a video -on YT that is- about native Spanish speakers from both EG and the Philippines, most of the comments to read are people from the rest of the hispanosphere being supportive and calling them brother/sisters. That makes me feel good, to be part of an inclusive language.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,656,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

Interesting that Brazilians are much closer culturally to Cubans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans, yet refuse to consider themselves to be Hispanic, yet you really think that Equatorial Guineans are Hispanic.

We can't be Hispanic, since we don't speak Spanish, we speak Portuguese.

We are Latinos, since Portuguese is a Latin-based language. We can also be called Ibero-Americans, part of the Iberoamerica. But we can't be Hispanic.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:02 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,707,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Can you explain why you think a Nigerian is culturally the same as an Englishman, aside from also speaking English?
I can say the exact same thing about Barlovento, Venezuela
The town where my grandmother is from where people still practice African religions and music

Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,766,740 times
Quote:

We are Latinos, since Portuguese is a Latin-based language. We can also be called Ibero-Americans, part of the Iberoamerica. But we can't be Hispanic.
Lol, so many people want to force Brazilians to be Hispanic.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,656,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It seems some people do...

I would love to be Hispanic, but I'm already a Lusophone, and most people here can barely understand Spanish...

Old 12-23-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:

So Nigerians and Indians are Anglo Saxon as they speak English.

Willing to bet that most of these people consider themselves to be mere Africans, who speak a variety of languages, Spanish being just one of them.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

Given that Brazilians are culturally very similar to Dominicans and Cubans, yet object to being called Hispanic.

Equatorial Guinea where a third of the population do NOT speak Spanish, and who knows how many of those who do speak it well. Given that 80% of the population are Fang, I bet that this language is in greater use, and that Spanish is used mainly for official purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equato...inea#Languages

I am willing to bet that people from Equatorial Guinea are way more culturally attuned to people Gabon, than to any Spain.

Calling Equatorial Guineans Hispanic, is as ridiculous as calling Nigerians Anglo Saxons.

It makes way more sense to call a Brazilian Hispanic, than it does an Equatorial Guinean.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
It seems some people do...

I would love to be Hispanic, but I'm already a Lusophone, and most people here can barely understand Spanish...

I am from Guyana. The only language I speak is English. I don't consider myself Anglo Saxon, and I doubt you would too. Language is but ONE manifestation of cultural heritage and identity.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I can say the exact same thing about Barlovento, Venezuela
The town where my grandmother is from where people still practice African religions and music

Which is why many Latin Americans object to the term "Hispanic" as it implies that a connection to Spain is all that defines them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa