U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 08:34 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,000,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And I get back to the fact that unless one considers a Nigerian Anglo Saxon, then Angolans and others who speak Iberian languages are African.
Its not that easy. "Hispanics" are a cultural group, they are not an ethnic group like the Anglo Saxons or Portuguese.

There are millions of hispanics who are either primarily of african descent, or near totally of african descent. That aside, none of the relatively few Angolans that I have met self identified as hispanic. Thus, I dont consider them hispanic either.

Last edited by Cryptic; 02-26-2016 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM

599 posts, read 558,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Its not that easy. "Hispanics" are a cultural group, they are not an ethnic group like the Anglo Saxons or Portuguese.

There are millions of hispanics who are either primarily of african descent, or near totally of african descent. That aside, none of the relatively few Angolans that I have met self identified as hispanic. Thus, I dont consider them hispanic either.
Because they are Lusophones, not Hispanics.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:06 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Because they are Lusophones, not Hispanics.
Good point. In much the same way that say, Senagalise are Francophone, but not say, creole by culture.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:51 PM

749 posts, read 597,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
They may technically be hispanic, but they will never be considered hispanic by us, let alone spain lol
I don't think people from Equatorial Guinea are even aware of the hispanic concept, so they most likely don't consider themselves hispanics. In fact this so-called Hispanic identity is pushed on so many people that want/have nothing to do with it.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:50 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,934,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Trinidad and Tobago is largely English-speaking. All Hispanic means is Spanish-speaking.

If they consider themselves Hispanic, what's the big deal?

And my argument is that, outside of a small elite, Equatorial Guineans see themselves as AFRICANS. So too do Angolans, Nigerians, etc.

It is a small group of posters who demand that they be called Hispanic. Even fact many Hispanics in the USA don't find that description to be an accurate, so why will an African.

NONE of the posters who insist that these people are Hispanic are from that part of the world!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I don't think people from Equatorial Guinea are even aware of the hispanic concept, so they most likely don't consider themselves hispanics. In fact this so-called Hispanic identity is pushed on so many people that want/have nothing to do with it.

Yes. Hispanic is a US invention.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:54 AM

[quote=Tritone;43130723. Most do not speak any indigenous african languages.[/quote]

NONSENSE. Most Angolans speak more than one language. Not every Angolan is an urban dwelling middle class professional, and indeed most aren't.

And even the Portuguese spoken be Angolans differs from that of Portugal.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
^^
Depends on who's "us"
To me, they're hispanic but what's more important it is what they consider themselves.

Yes what is important is that in Equatorial Guinea Spanish is NOT the only language spoken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equato...inea#Languages

Note that French is also considered a "national" language, as is Portuguese. In fact allegedly 1/3 of Equatorial Guineans DO NOT speak Spanish. And I bet that the 2/3 who do also speak other languages.

So what makes some one who speaks Spanish, Fang, and French a "Hispanic"?

Does a Nigerian who speaks Yoruba and English become an Anglo Saxon? NO!

So folks must stop telling these people what they should or shouldn't be.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Its not that easy. "Hispanics" are a cultural group, .

Which in fact strengthens the argument that Equatorial Guineans are not Hispanic. They have more in common with some one from Gabon, than they do with a Mexican or an Argentine.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:22 AM

59 posts, read 32,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
just found out about a country in Africa called Equatorial Guinea and it's official language is Spanish, does this make them Hispanic?
Yes. The people of Equatorial Guinea are indeed Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa