U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-19-2016, 02:23 AM
 
59 posts, read 31,899 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

The Royal Academy of Spanish Language includes Equatorial Guinea as a member. Equatorial Guinea is also a member of the Latin Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2016, 07:09 AM
 
37 posts, read 27,012 times
Reputation: 33
any person who speaks Spanish fluently is actually hispanic

hispanic simply means u speak Spanish, there is nothing else to it. (though in America because of the large Mexican immigration they tend to imagine hispanic as Mexican) but in reality is all sorts of people from all over speak Spanish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 03:16 AM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,579,330 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Most people in Latin America have some Spanish blood mixed in, so even though most are non-whites, they are genetically tied to Spain and that also legitimizes their cultural, linguistic, culinary, architectural, etc connection to Spain, Hispanic culture, and other Hispanic countries. This is also why a random person from Spain, Venezuela, Cuba, Chile, Panama, Mexico, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Argentina, etc may actually be distant cousins along their European genetic side regardless if they are white, mestizos, mulattoes or whatever other racial mix that includes Spanish/European in the mix.

Having said all of that, the single category taken into consideration if a person is Hispanic or not is actually not based on whether a person has Spanish blood in them, but rather if a person speaks Spanish as their mother tongue. The reason of this is that language affects very deeply the way people see and interpret the world and the mother tongue of a person often does makes the biggest difference between them and others that don't speak the same mother tongue, and this difference is present even with people that speak said mother tongue as a second language.

I'm not sure if most Equatorial Guineans speak Spanish as a mother tongue. Unlike in the Western Hemisphere, in Africa its much more common for natives to speak an African language as a mother tongue and a European language as a second language (what European language predominates as a second language depends on the colonial history of the country: ex-British colonies have English as a second language, ex-French have French, ex-Italian have Italian, etc.)

Take Dominicans as an example. Regardless of the fact that over 90% of Dominicans have Spanish blood and have a genetic/historic/cultural connection to Spain (most of the population is of mostly black/white racially mixed and the white part is mostly of Spanish origin, and most of the white minority descend from Spaniards too); practically 100% of ethnic Dominicans speak Spanish as their mother tongue and over 95% of them not only speak Spanish as a mother tongue, but its also the only language that they speak.

This may not be the case in Equatorial Guinea. For one, most of the population is probably of pure Sub-Saharan African origin and most of the population probably lives in the countryside. That combination is almost a guarantee that most don't speak Spanish as their mother tongue, because in Africa the European influence is almost exclusively concentrated along the major coastal towns and major cities. As soon as people leave the cities, the European influences diminishes very quickly and this is very noticeable.

I'll have to do more research into Equatorial Guinea to be sure of their dynamics, but I'm confident what I said here is probably close to reality.

Equatorial Guinea may be a very true case of colonialism (non-European people having a European culture -which is alien to them- imposed on them) whereas in Latin America I'm not so sure colonialism exist in its true form, because most Latin Americans do have at least some Spanish ancestry, so Spanish culture is not really any more alien to them as are the indigenous or African cultures as well.
Not all Latin Americans speak Spanish natively or at all. Countries like Mexico, Bolivia, Peru have people in the countryside who don't speak Spanish, but Native language. Some people in the coastal regions of Colombia speak a Creole language. Other creole languages are spoken in Black communities in Central America and some of these are variants of Jamaican Creole.

As for "pure subsaharan African" do you know if that even exists? Africa had contact with other parts of the world including Arabs before European colonialism ,and gasp during European colonialism there was sex between Europeans and Africans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 03:18 AM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,579,330 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And my argument is that, outside of a small elite, Equatorial Guineans see themselves as AFRICANS. So too do Angolans, Nigerians, etc.


It is a small group of posters who demand that they be called Hispanic. Even fact many Hispanics in the USA don't find that description to be an accurate, so why will an African.


NONE of the posters who insist that these people are Hispanic are from that part of the world!
Yes, they are Africans. But they are from the Spanish speaking part of Africa. Similarly, Nigerians are from an Anglo African country, and people from the Congo and Cameroon are from Francophone Africa. The European colonialists left their languages and also portions of their culture and religions in these nations . Of course they still have various languages and religions of their own, but to say there's no Spanish influence or connection in Ecquatorial Guinea is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 03:23 AM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,579,330 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Equally nonsensical as those who wish to pretend that Africans are chocolate colored Spaniards or Portuguese.
I agree with you here. No, they aren't chocolate covered Spanish, Portuguese, French, or English. However the colonial nations certain left their languages and imparted a part of their cultures in these nations. With that said these nations still have their own cultures and traditions and languages as well.

But when you call someone Latino, that means today anyone who speaks a Latin language. Mexicans are not Spanish, and Brazilians are not Portuguese. Latin America is cultural different from Spain and Portugal and the various Spanishes and Portuguese spoken in Brazil is quite different from the European versions of Spanish and Portuguese.

With that said, have you been to Angola? You mentioned getting off the plane there? How did you like it if you went? Was it vacation or business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 10:18 AM
 
749 posts, read 596,270 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I agree with you here. No, they aren't chocolate covered Spanish, Portuguese, French, or English. However the colonial nations certain left their languages and imparted a part of their cultures in these nations. With that said these nations still have their own cultures and traditions and languages as well.

But when you call someone Latino, that means today anyone who speaks a Latin language. Mexicans are not Spanish, and Brazilians are not Portuguese. Latin America is cultural different from Spain and Portugal and the various Spanishes and Portuguese spoken in Brazil is quite different from the European versions of Spanish and Portuguese.

With that said, have you been to Angola? You mentioned getting off the plane there? How did you like it if you went? Was it vacation or business?
Is spanish spoken in Brazil?
So would you say that African Americans are Anglos since English has been the only language they have known for generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 PM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,579,330 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Is spanish spoken in Brazil?
So would you say that African Americans are Anglos since English has been the only language they have known for generation?
Yes I would say African Americans are Anglos. Most groups of African Americans have no African culture among them, and no other culture than the general Anglo based culture of the US. In terms of diet, music, religion, etc.

Portuguese is spoken in Brazil and that is a Latin language similar to Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2016, 03:19 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes I would say African Americans are Anglos. .


True but to extend a similar description to Nigerians or Ghanaians or people from India is in fact disrespectful. I would argue that calling people from Equatorial Guinea Hispanics is indeed so as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2016, 12:25 PM
 
749 posts, read 596,270 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes I would say African Americans are Anglos. Most groups of African Americans have no African culture among them, and no other culture than the general Anglo based culture of the US. In terms of diet, music, religion, etc.

Portuguese is spoken in Brazil and that is a Latin language similar to Spanish.
The fact that Portuguese and Spanish are 2 romance languages, but still only Portuguese is spoken in Brazil, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude
Just to point out a Jewish person is not Anglo or Anglo Saxon, so Garcetti is not an example of a product of an Anglo/Latino marriage.

Not every white person who speaks English is Anglo. Anglo is a person of English origin, and Jews in the US are generally Central or Eastern European descent.
So jews are not Anglos but Blacks are??

Last edited by seixal; 12-26-2016 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 03:28 PM
 
2,307 posts, read 942,097 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
NONSENSE. Most Angolans speak more than one language. Not every Angolan is an urban dwelling middle class professional, and indeed most aren't.


And even the Portuguese spoken be Angolans differs from that of Portugal.
No, Portuguese in Angola is the native language. The majority of the poor in Angolga only speak Portuguese. And their variety of Portuguese is very European sounding, much more so than the Portuguese that Brazilians speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top