U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 07:13 AM

1,476 posts, read 806,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
33% of the people in Equatorial Guinea do NOT speak Spanish, and it is likely that many who do, use it mainly for formal purposes and speak a variety of local languages when at home.

Culturally they are culturally African. I suspect only the small mulatto population, traditionally the elite, has any real identification with Spain. In fact French and Portuguese are ALSO considered official languages. Given the proximity of Congo (both of them) and Angola, I can imagine that these latter two languages are increasingly relevant.

Equatorial Guineans are no more "Hispanic" than Nigerians are Anglo Saxon.

They speak Spanish and pidgin, but their Pidgin is fun and better that some dialects in Spain. They are considered Hispanic by Spain.

They are African, but they have nothing in common with blacks in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Nonsense. They speak exactly the same language. The Portuguese are all over Angola now, they're coming back in droves to take advantage of the high salaries and new opportunities. They aren't even viewed as foreigners like other Europeans are.

A portuguese person would not be able communicate at all with a French person.

Yes, that's what I read..many Portuguese are flocking to Angola, and there are white Angolans, which is curious. They know some Spanish because the UNITA-MPLA war and Cuban involvement. The same is going on in Mozambique.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
There are millions of Fillipinos that speak and understand Spanish still today in the Phillipines.

The USA stole their culture or broke apart their culture by imposing English on them.

I think Spanish should be an official language in Phillipines

Filipinos are hispanos by many counts, tagalog is heavely laden with Spanish, they are Catholic, their names, their saints, their food is very influenced by spanish gastronomy and millions speak chavacano and regular spanish.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Its not that easy. "Hispanics" are a cultural group, they are not an ethnic group like the Anglo Saxons or Portuguese.

There are millions of hispanics who are either primarily of african descent, or near totally of african descent. That aside, none of the relatively few Angolans that I have met self identified as hispanic. Thus, I dont consider them hispanic either.

Portuguese and descendants say Luso, from Lusitania, former Roman division of Hispania.

So they would say lusoangolan, etc,

Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Spaniards are Caucasian, European, and Iberian all three. Per the US census Spaniards would technically fit into the Hispanic classification but I have never met a Spaniard living in the US that identified as Hispanic. Truthfully that is a classification in the US associated with people with origins in Spanish speaking Latin America.

Yes, some do just for opportunism.... just like that cook, jose juan, he wants to enter into politics, forgetting the fact that cooks can't play politics. Singers also play that card to participate in Emmy, here they would'nt sell a record.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Spaniards are Caucasian, European, and Iberian all three. Per the US census Spaniards would technically fit into the Hispanic classification but I have never met a Spaniard living in the US that identified as Hispanic. Truthfully that is a classification in the US associated with people with origins in Spanish speaking Latin America.

Hispanic sounds bad in Spain because Franco used that word ad finitum....In every propaganda film and NODO, you have that word 100 times. People use it derisively, to muck francoist propaganda.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

Where as I knew a woman who I used to joke about being the whitest woman in the world with a French mother and Spaniard father. She came to America as a child was in bilingual public education classes and maintained a Hispanic self identity since that is how the culture treated her in her formative years. Now if a Spaniard immigrated as an adult he might not buy into the US race/ethnic group classification

I always marked Etruscan in other.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:55 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,947,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
They speak Spanish and pidgin, but their Pidgin is fun and better that some dialects in Spain. They are considered Hispanic by Spain.

They are African, but they have nothing in common with blacks in America.
I see Spain thinks that they are Hispanic and so they should see themselves as such. Given that blacks in the USA are a minority of all of the blacks on the planet, why the comparison.

Discuss why you think that they have nothing in common with blacks from West Central Africa, and discuss why the languages that they speak originate often from those regions in Africa.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Why do you talk if you don't have the foggiest idea of what I'm talking about?

Being brown confers you the right to connect to some deity that informs you about anything related to blacks?
And you are the expert? Why I can only wonder.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I read..many Portuguese are flocking to Angola, .
Were flocking there. With the Angola economy in difficulties with oil price drops they are leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa