U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:45 AM

16,440 posts, read 16,539,969 times

Advertisements

Hispanic is a cultural-designation.......any race can be Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 AM

211 posts, read 121,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hispanic is a cultural-designation.......any race can be Hispanic.
What's hispanic culture?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:04 AM

16,440 posts, read 16,539,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
What's hispanic culture?

Relating to spain or spanish-speaking countries.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Relating to spain or spanish-speaking countries.
Spaniards generally don't view themselves as Hispanic in the USA context. Hispanic is pretty much someone with origins in a Latin American Spanish speaking country. It's a made up BS category and many Americans are clueless as to who is Hispanic and who is not hate to say it but they're for the most part pretty dumb in understanding the nuances of culture and are stuck on the color thing.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:12 PM

24,192 posts, read 17,579,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Spaniards generally don't view themselves as Hispanic in the USA context. Hispanic is pretty much someone with origins in a Latin American Spanish speaking country. It's a made up BS category and many Americans are clueless as to who is Hispanic and who is not hate to say it but they're for the most part pretty dumb in understanding the nuances of culture and are stuck on the color thing.
If it benefits them being seen as a "minority" Spaniyards will indeed be "Hispanic" in the USA context, and this is by no means rare.

In fact when it comes to college educations, just speaking another language well can help you in admissions, and checking the Hispanic box and revealing that you speak Spanish can help. Advanced speakers can be placement credits as well.

For academic and government positions Spaniyards in the states are gladly Hispanic.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If it benefits them being seen as a "minority" Spaniyards will indeed be "Hispanic" in the USA context, and this is by no means rare.

In fact when it comes to college educations, just speaking another language well can help you in admissions, and checking the Hispanic box and revealing that you speak Spanish can help. Advanced speakers can be placement credits as well.

For academic and government positions Spaniyards in the states are gladly Hispanic.
Ethnicity-based college admission is illegal in some states. Also, speaking Spanish and being Hispanic are 2 different things. I have come across Hispanics presenting themselves as Spaniards on multiple occasions, but never the other way around. Is there any evidence supporting that spaniards are "gladly hispanics" for academic and government positions?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Ethnicity-based college admission is illegal in some states. Also, speaking Spanish and being Hispanic are 2 different things. I have come across Hispanics presenting themselves as Spaniards on multiple occasions, but never the other way around. Is there any evidence supporting that spaniards are "gladly hispanics" for academic and government positions?
Go find said evidence, if you're interested.

You can even say the reverse. Is there any evidence as Hispanics presenting themselves as Spaniards? Do you have documented proof that they weren't Spaniards and what is the documented proof?

Old 07-08-2017, 09:14 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Quote:
You can look up the late 1800s Spanish and Portuguese colonialism in Africa. They had British help. You can google just as well as me.

It's rather bizarre for someone to think just because he is Black he knows all things about all Black people around the world, particularly when he has no experience or direct knowledge of these things. He's never been to Angola. Neither have I, but I don't declare myself an expert on Angola and am not commenting on the racial dynamics in Angola because I have no specific knowledge of that.
The Portuguese and the English have been allies predating the Treaty of Windsor of 1386. I have no idea why you mentioned Spain which was pretty much squeezed out of sub-Saharan Africa and out competed by the Portuguese.

I asked for specific examples about the English propping up the Portuguese in the 1800's because I could not find any to be clear the English and the Portuguese were allies but they were also competitors the Portuguese wanted to expand to all they way from Angola to Mozambique during the scramble for Africa and the English effectively blocked it straining diplomatic relations between the two nations.

Last edited by AFP; 07-08-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Go find said evidence, if you're interested.

You can even say the reverse. Is there any evidence as Hispanics presenting themselves as Spaniards? Do you have documented proof that they weren't Spaniards and what is the documented proof?
Here is an evidence https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/u...ves-white.html. In addition, you can find countless threads on that topic on this forum, if you're interested.

I'm not interested in look for evidence of the reverse because, first, such a burden falls on who makes the claim. Second, the said claim doesn't sound plausible to me.
The fact that Spaniards distance themselves from Hispanics seems to rub you the wrong way.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Here is an evidence https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/u...ves-white.html. In addition, you can find countless threads on that topic on this forum, if you're interested.

I'm not interested in look for evidence of the reverse because, first, such a burden falls on who makes the claim. Second, the said claim doesn't sound plausible to me.
The fact that Spaniards distance themselves from Hispanics seems to rub you the wrong way.
Nothing rubs me the wrong way. It's not my job to be doing research for other people, and there is absolutely no burden on me to show or demonstrate anything. I'm not engaging in a childish and stupid game to try to show how clever I am.

Just as don't read the New York Times for cultural issues, since let's just say my knowledge of Latin America is beyond newspaper clips.

In fact newspaper clips are just that, news, not actual research.

Having written real academic papers, you interview people in the field, you may or may not use written sources to back you up, you consult with experts. You don't use the news.

Researchers are decently paid, and as noted you can't afford my research fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa