U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 AM

211 posts, read 121,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Nothing rubs me the wrong way. It's not my job to be doing research for other people, and there is absolutely no burden on me to show or demonstrate anything. I'm not engaging in a childish and stupid game to try to show how clever I am.

Just as don't read the New York Times for cultural issues, since let's just say my knowledge of Latin America is beyond newspaper clips.

In fact newspaper clips are just that, news, not actual research.

Having written real academic papers, you interview people in the field, you may or may not use written sources to back you up, you consult with experts. You don't use the news.

Researchers are decently paid, and as noted you can't afford my research fees.
We are talking about Spaniards, who are from Europe, not Latin America. Maybe you can start some research there. Not for anyone else but your yourself, not for any compensation but your own sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
The fact that Spaniards distance themselves from Hispanics seems to rub you the wrong way.
Even some Cubans and Argentines don't necessarily want to be included in the "Hispanic" label because they don't want to be put in the same category as Puerto Ricans and Mexicans.

People really over estimate the "advantages" of affirmative action these days. Since the Supreme Court became active in blocking it, there are steadily fewer instances where affirmative action significantly helps nonwhites.

So I don't know why some one who is pursuing a "white" identity will want to be classified as Hispanic. As much as people may wish to pretend otherwise to most Americans a Hispanic is a brown person. In fact Melanie Griffith allegedly claimed that she was refused access into a coop by a board who didn't want her "brown Hispanic" husband living in the building. This man being Antonio Banderas, who may be "brown" but is certainly a European.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:57 AM

24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Quote:
We are talking about Spaniards, who are from Europe, not Latin America. Maybe you can start some research there. Not for anyone else but your yourself, not for any compensation but your own sake.
I have two degrees from two top universities in the US. In short, I don't need to do research for my own sake. If I do research, it's for pay.......

Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 AM

7,554 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Quote:
The fact that Spaniards distance themselves from Hispanics seems to rub you the wrong way.
Not sure why either. Anyone who has visited Spain will see the distinction is made between Spaniards and Latin Americans. It's common knowledge that many Spaniards do distance themselves.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 AM

5,180 posts, read 4,672,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Spaniards generally don't view themselves as Hispanic in the USA context. Hispanic is pretty much someone with origins in a Latin American Spanish speaking country. It's a made up BS category and many Americans are clueless as to who is Hispanic and who is not hate to say it but they're for the most part pretty dumb in understanding the nuances of culture and are stuck on the color thing.
That's what they mean by New World Order, the "new world" plantation identity politics gone far & wide & global.

Welcome, to the funny farm, lol!

Old 07-18-2017, 04:13 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
That's what they mean by New World Order, the "new world" plantation identity politics gone far & wide & global.

Welcome, to the funny farm, lol!
That's how some people still view things they're mind is incarcerated on the plantation. Some are still trying to play the role of massa and some are still in mental chains.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:52 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Quote:
Ethnicity-based college admission is illegal in some states. ?

It has been ruled illegal by the Supreme Court. I see no reason why some one from Spain will check "Hispanic" when there are scant advantages to gain.

Maybe blacks and Hispanics now get into college because they deserve to be there? Quotas have been illegal for quite a while.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:34 PM

1,042 posts, read 477,511 times
Default You Always......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
It's not often that I respond to imbecility. But this post really did it!

Is an Equatorial Guinean Hispanic?

You're kidding, right???

How many years did it take you to get thru first grade???

Oh my f-ing God!!!

Chacho Keva: You always make me smile with your comments........

Old 07-22-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
just found out about a country in Africa called Equatorial Guinea and it's official language is Spanish, does this make them Hispanic?
No need to worry anymore, since 2011, they have made Portuguese their official language in addition to Spanish.

Map of Equatorial Guinea

https://www.google.com/search?q=map+...YqtMakgN5zPBM:

Read further:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portug...ican_countries

Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not sure why either. Anyone who has visited Spain will see the distinction is made between Spaniards and Latin Americans. It's common knowledge that many Spaniards do distance themselves.

Do you mean that Spaniards are prejudiced against Latin Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa