Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No.....
Why ? Because they are in Africa ? Do some researching first before you answer this question

Last edited by Hermosaa; 07-28-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 PM

578 posts, read 962,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I know there are still a few, didn't know there were that many.
There are millions of Fillipinos that speak and understand Spanish still today in the Phillipines.

The USA stole their culture or broke apart their culture by imposing English on them.

I think Spanish should be an official language in Phillipines

Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
There are millions of Fillipinos that speak and understand Spanish still today in the Phillipines.

The USA stole their culture or broke apart their culture by imposing English on them.

I think Spanish should be an official language in Phillipines
I agree ! The Americans tried so hard to eradicate Spanish to promote English and they even changed the name of the country to make it sound English. They should have done the same thing as what they did to Puerto Rico but instead, they removed everything Hispanic. Philippines would have had ties with Latin America if they didn't make the country so Anglophone.

I also support the Spanish language in the Philippines. I think it is very unfair making English the official language when it was only a colony of America for 50 years while Spain colonised it for 400 years. Spanish should also share the same importance given to English.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Guys, seriously? Why does Spain and Spanish culture get a pass? What you all are saying the US did, Spain did too, just 400 years earlier. That country is no more native Spanish speaking than it is English speaking.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 AM

4 posts, read 3,402 times
Then, how should we call those people born of mixed colored parents,I Mean...Black and white couples from any where around the world?

Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Guys, seriously? Why does Spain and Spanish culture get a pass? What you all are saying the US did, Spain did too, just 400 years earlier. That country is no more native Spanish speaking than it is English speaking.
Spain gave the name of the Philippines ( Las Islas Filipinas ) and united the whole country, it was not united before their arrival. Spain gave us religion, names and Spain contributed so much in the Filipino culture. Sure, Filipinos already had their own languages before, but their vocabulary was for sure very limited.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Spain gave the name of the Philippines ( Las Islas Filipinas ) and united the whole country, it was not united before their arrival. Spain gave us religion, names and Spain contributed so much in the Filipino culture. Sure, Filipinos already had their own languages before, but their vocabulary was for sure very limited.
I'm aware of that part but I like your point of view. Do most Filipinos feel this way in the Philippines?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'm aware of that part but I like your point of view. Do most Filipinos feel this way in the Philippines?
Most Filipinos ( younger ones ) simply do not care. They are more Americacentric as America was the last one that colonised the country and especially since Spanish is not taught in schools any more and does not have the same importance as English, the younger generation got more distant from hispanic culture and couldn't relate to it any more which is why I think it is really very unfair because the Spanish contributed more in the Filipino culture. I believe the government made a real big mistake favouring English than Spanish , it just eradicated a big part of the Filipino culture. Spanish language is part of our history. How are we still gonna be able to read and understand many important documents and literatures from our past if we cannot understand Spanish ?
Philippines should have followed Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico became a US colony as well, but they did not forget their past. They still maintained the name Puerto Rico as well as the Spanish language thus making them more well rounded as they can speak 2 of the most important language in the world.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 07-29-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Most Filipinos ( younger ones ) simply do not care. They are more Americacentric as America was the last one that colonised the country and especially since Spanish is not taught in schools any more and does not have the same importance as English, the younger generation got more distant from hispanic culture and couldn't relate to it any more which is why I think it is really very unfair because the Spanish contributed more in the Filipino culture. I believe the government made a real big mistake favouring English than Spanish , it just eradicated a big part of the Filipino culture. Spanish language is part of our history. How are we still gonna be able to read and understand many important documents and literatures from our past if we cannot understand Spanish ?
Philippines should have followed Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico became a US colony as well, but they did not forget their past. They still maintained the name Puerto Rico as well as the Spanish language thus making them more well rounded as they can speak 2 of the most important language in the world.
Both the Spanish and the English were foreign influences on the Filipino culture. Both should be seen as that. I agree with the other poster in that the Spanish language/culture does seem like it gets a pass when it comes to being recognized as a foreign influence on the country. Your making it seem like Spanish culture originated out of the Philippines.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM

578 posts, read 962,357 times
Quote:
Spanish does represent imperialism, colonialism, and oppression from Spain of course, but the USA didn't have to wipe it out of being an official language. The USA did that to Guam and the Samoa islands.

USA did it to many lands that were not originally part of the USA.

Spanish should remain. Lots of cultures and traditions of Phillipines were lost or hidden or shunned or swept under the rug.

Phillipines should make Spanish an official language again. Many people still speak Fillipino Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa