Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 08:23 AM

11 posts, read 35,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
just found out about a country in Africa called Equatorial Guinea and it's official language is Spanish, does this make them Hispanic?

Not at all. It's only those in South America that consider themselves Latino/Hispanic because they speak Spanish. What is a Latino anyway? Spaniards would never call an Hispic/Latino, Spanish. Spanish people are Europeans. These Latino people are South Americans and Caribbeans. two different things. We don't do that silly stuff in Africa. I speak English as well as Yoruba but that doesn't make me an English man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 01:20 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
Most people who live in Equatorial Guinea are Bantu and speak Bantu languages as their primary language. While Spanish is an "official language", only 10-15% of the population speak it fluently.

One thing that is unique about Equatorial Guinea is that many people have two first names and two last names. Generally the first name is a Spanish name, the second is a Bantu name, and then the two last names are based on the family names of their parents. For example: Armando Sipoto Bohale Aqueriaco or Jesús Valeriano Nchama Oyono (these are two players on their national team) are the kind of names you would find there.

I wish I could have found out more in person. I visited Gabon in 2010, E.Q. is right next door but I never had a chance to go there. Maybe next time!

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 11-06-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaleAdeyemi View Post
Not at all. It's only those in South America that consider themselves Latino/Hispanic because they speak Spanish. What is a Latino anyway? Spaniards would never call an Hispic/Latino, Spanish. Spanish people are Europeans. These Latino people are South Americans and Caribbeans. two different things. We don't do that silly stuff in Africa. I speak English as well as Yoruba but that doesn't make me an English man.
You're wrong! Equatorial Guinea and its people ARE Hispanics AND Latinos all at the same time.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 35,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
You're wrong! Equatorial Guinea and its people ARE Hispanics AND Latinos all at the same time.
Africans aren't like South Americans that consider themselves "Spanish" or "Portugese". We don't call ourselves Latino or Hispanic. Just like I don't call myself English for speaking English. Please don't try to bring your Hispanic/Latino rubbish here to the continent. We're Africans and proud of it. Keep all that "We're Spanish" stuff in your own countries.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Africans aren't like South Americans that consider themselves "Spanish" or "Portugese". We don't call ourselves Latino or Hispanic. Just like I don't call myself English for speaking English. Please don't try to bring your Hispanic/Latino rubbish here to the continent. We're Africans and proud of it. Keep all that "We're Spanish" stuff in your own countries.
I'm NOT South American. Don't ASSume with your assumptions and rubbish.

And most South Americans don't call themselves Spanish or say they are from Spain or Portugal.

And by the way there are several million blacks and people of African descent that live and thrive throughout South America, and many embrace and express African culture and pride.

Hispanic/Latino does NOT mean Spanish.

I know many Equatorial Guineans that relate to and identify as Hispanic/Latino, in addition to African. Hispanic/Latino is NOT a race.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
You should save your rubbish for your own countries and not speak on Equatorial Guineans when you aren't an Equatorial Guinean.

I know many Equatorial Guineans that identify as Hispanic/Latino as well as African.

And many Africans in African nations that speak English have a connection with British influences and cultures, as well as French speaking Africans from French speaking African nations. Same with Portuguese and LUSITANIC Africans.

You seem to have issues with people and groups identifying with and embracing all of who and what they are.

Sad. Seems like you have a damn chip on your shoulder. Smh

Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Lol. I didn't bring anything or any rubbish to Mother Africa. YOU DID. And the Arabs, Portuguese, Spanish, and French and others brought this stuff to Africa. Lol

Funny how you don't challenge the Arabs who were and still are oppressing and pillaging Africa and it's identity.

Funny how you claim "African culture" is practiced in African nations yet you don't challenge or speak out of the Arab influences and conquests that we're infused into many of the cultures that are today called African lol.

Look up the Arab slave trade.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Look up Amparos and Amaros.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
I knew a guy in college from there and he never considered his self Latino/Hispanic, granted he did know Spanish.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:21 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
I've always found this Hispanic/Latino designation as very diluting to the individual countries. Also wasn't the term Hispanic adopted by the US during the Nixon era to label all these diverse nations under the one heading?

The term literally means of Spain. The term is very Eurocentric. Sometimes terms become so diverse and over used that they lose all meaning.

All English speaking countries and people aren't labelled Anglo. Imagine calling Jamaicans Anglo? Even countries that have a tenuous link to Spain are called Hispanic. So no I wouldn't call people from Equatorial Guinea Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa