Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I was referring to those Portuguese who ran down to Angola during its oil boom. You do know that the vast majority of Portuguese living in Angola left once it became obvious that independence was coming. It was so bad that they couldn't even get plumbers to fix toilets once they left, and this was the 70s. Apparently such technology wasn't extended to the Africans.
Yes I know that I know people personally that chose to leave because it became unsafe for them to remain in Angola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:00 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
racial dynamics were a complex issue but there was never segregation or apartheid like for example South AFrica. n.
Racial dynamics were so great that when the Portuguese left there were only a few who could fix elevators and toilets. Not in 1950. In 1975.

This isn't internet. This was my exposure to Angolans when they came to Guyana seeking help in their war against the Portuguese. This is also from various UN workers who lived in Luanda in the 80s.

I would rather be a Nigerian in 1960 than an Angolan in 1975. Unlike you I think that a good education and an ability to become a professional becomes better than being a bedmate for a white man, as I bet that the Portuguese women there weren't getting married to Africans.

In fact even now one can see Nigerians functioning in all capacities globally. When one thinks of Angolans they just aren't seen in the same light.

Maybe having sex with a white person is progress in your eyes, but it really isn't if the result is backwardness.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Yes I know that I know people personally that chose to leave because it became unsafe for them to remain in Angola.
Most of them left BEFORE independence so how integrated were there if they were so terrified of mulatto rule (it was the mulattos who ran the MPLA as they were the ones with education)?

Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
be honest you can't stay on topic you go off on tangents about the evil white colonialists. But anyway continue on.
Oh so colonialism Portuguese style is now good and I have a chip on my shoulder when I beg to differ with you, based on accounts by mulatto Angolans when they came to beg us for help during their war. And yes we noted that these Angolans were even "whiter" in color than we were, despite being Africans, because the full blacks were illiterate.

So much for your "racial dynamics". Really don't know how the average black Angolan benefitted.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
To be fair Britain was a more developed nation than Portugal was. There is no way the Portuguese could have developed Angola. After they were wrecked by Napoleon, both Spain and Portywent down. Both only had African colonies with British assistance. Basically Britain helped Spain and Portyhave African colonies to help reduce spread of French colonialism, and the Brits were starting to be over extended.

As whether or not they are Hispanic that is ultimately a question for those countries and individuals from them to answer.

CaribNY is declaring himself an expert on nations around the world he has never been to, and he has no real knowledge of. It's gotten to the point where posters on the Americas forum are starting to not engage with him anymore. He for some reason can't let go of the delusion he is the ultimate word on everything, especially on things he knows nothing about. He can't stay on topic because he is childishly and desperately trying to overwhelm discourse on a subject to be king of the hill. Everyone should put him on ignore and let him play with himself.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM

210 posts, read 200,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
To be fair Britain was a more developed nation than Portugal was. There is no way the Portuguese could have developed Angola. After they were wrecked by Napoleon, both Spain and Portywent down. Both only had African colonies with British assistance. Basically Britain helped Spain and Portyhave African colonies to help reduce spread of French colonialism, and the Brits were starting to be over extended.

As whether or not they are Hispanic that is ultimately a question for those countries and individuals from them to answer.

CaribNY is declaring himself an expert on nations around the world he has never been to, and he has no real knowledge of. It's gotten to the point where posters on the Americas forum are starting to not engage with him anymore. He for some reason can't let go of the delusion he is the ultimate word on everything, especially on things he knows nothing about. He can't stay on topic because he is childishly and desperately trying to overwhelm discourse on a subject to be king of the hill. Everyone should put him on ignore and let him play with himself.
Around the time of independence, Angola was much more developed than most African territories. French Dakar was a dump compared to Luanda. A Swiss oil engineer who often took business trips to Luanda back in the early 70's once told me he was amazed at how clean, developed, safe and orderly the city was compared to other African capitals. Things started going South when Angola became a Cold War sandbox. The conflict was not white against black, but a Communist vs capitalist type of war, just like so many around that era. Not to say that the racial issue was never an issue, but it was certainly not the only nor the main problem.

Also, Portugal's presence in Africa goes back to the 15th century, not sure how the Brits helped with that.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

1. Do you have any specific examples.

2. Perhaps being black leads him to think he should have the final word on all things related to Africa.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Racial dynamics were so great that when the Portuguese left there were only a few who could fix elevators and toilets. Not in 1950. In 1975.

This isn't internet. This was my exposure to Angolans when they came to Guyana seeking help in their war against the Portuguese. This is also from various UN workers who lived in Luanda in the 80s.

I would rather be a Nigerian in 1960 than an Angolan in 1975. Unlike you I think that a good education and an ability to become a professional becomes better than being a bedmate for a white man, as I bet that the Portuguese women there weren't getting married to Africans.

In fact even now one can see Nigerians functioning in all capacities globally. When one thinks of Angolans they just aren't seen in the same light.

Maybe having sex with a white person is progress in your eyes, but it really isn't if the result is backwardness.
1. Source?

2. The Angolan elite came to you for answers on how to run Angola?

3. I haven't expressed any views on this specific topic. You are making assumptions and that erodes your credibility by making you look desperate. You were corrected on the fact that some ethnic Portuguese chose to remain in Angola and have lived peacefully among black Angolans since the 1970's and that lead to your rants. Pretty silly!

4. How exactly is this related to Hispanic or my comments about whites and blacks in Angola?

5. The fact that it isn't illegal and never was is a good thing in my view each person can choose who they have sex with that is a personal matter. You see it as backwardness that some black and white people are attracted and have sex! Wow if that is the case then responding to your posts is a waste of time.

6. Oh but wait just a minute didn't you mention in earlier posts and that you were of mixed ancestry colonial European/African? I don't know but is it requirement to hate the European parts of oneself to more effectively love the African half?

Last edited by AFP; 07-06-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Around the time of independence, Angola was much more developed than most African territories. French Dakar was a dump compared to Luanda. A Swiss oil engineer who often took business trips to Luanda back in the early 70's once told me he was amazed at how clean, developed, safe and orderly the city was compared to other African capitals. Things started going South when Angola became a Cold War sandbox. The conflict was not white against black, but a Communist vs capitalist type of war, just like so many around that era. Not to say that the racial issue was never an issue, but it was certainly not the only nor the main problem.

Also, Portugal's presence in Africa goes back to the 15th century, not sure how the Brits helped with that.
It does, but Portugal was a close ally of Britain and they certainly had British support and help in actually conquering their colonies.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
1. Do you have any specific examples.

2. Perhaps being black leads him to think he should have the final word on all things related to Africa.
You can look up the late 1800s Spanish and Portuguese colonialism in Africa. They had British help. You can google just as well as me.

It's rather bizarre for someone to think just because he is Black he knows all things about all Black people around the world, particularly when he has no experience or direct knowledge of these things. He's never been to Angola. Neither have I, but I don't declare myself an expert on Angola and am not commenting on the racial dynamics in Angola because I have no specific knowledge of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa