U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:12 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,251,218 times

Advertisements

Over one third of the voters this year were either dead, or born 100 to 120 years ago!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The opposition is saying it was an unfair election, maybe. However Mugabe would win in a fair election as well. Many support his policies and he is a liberation figure. The opposition has been bought and paid off. They're really not much better.
You are embarrassing yourself, go and do some reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,741,639 times
Quote:
The opposition is saying it was an unfair election, maybe. However Mugabe would win in a fair election as well. Many support his policies and he is a liberation figure. The opposition has been bought and paid off. They're really not much better.
Have you met anyone from that country? I have as my country has many people from that country that live here now. None of the Zimbaweans I met have said anything good about him. BTW the last person I know I spoken to about Mugabe from that country was a Black person from there.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,760,088 times
It's clear he would do anything to win. Win in a fair election? Ya right. He wasn't about to take that chance. Too bad the thrill of the victory didn't kill the vile crook. Really too bad, it will be more of the same.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,424,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Have you met anyone from that country? I have as my country has many people from that country that live here now. None of the Zimbaweans I met have said anything good about him. BTW the last person I know I spoken to about Mugabe from that country was a Black person from there.
Keyword is they don't live there now. Those that do love the guy. He would win hands down in a free election or an unfree election.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:00 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
He's also far from the only corrupt, dictatorial leader in Africa. People in the West tend to focus on him mainly because of the Forest Whitaker depiction and his move against the country's white farmers awhile back.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,760,088 times
Quote:
Keyword is they don't live there now. Those that do love the guy. He would win hands down in a free election or an unfree election.
Do you live there? Certainly not everyone that voted cast a ballot for Mugabe and a substantial number obviously do not love the guy. He would win in an "unfree election", on that I will agree with you.

No, he isn't the only corrupt one. I don't think most people in the west follow news on the African continent period. Regardless of the actor Forest Whitaker or anything about white farmers. Certainly there has been little news over here about the white farmers being murdered in South Africa. About the only thing people may have paid attention to was the condition of Nelson Mandela.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,741,639 times
Quote:
He does have support of many people of his country yet the election was a fraud just like the previous elections:

The vote on Wednesday has been praised for passing peacefully, but local observers, the MDC and diplomats have said there were major irregularities with the electoral process. Key concerns include claims that up to 1m voters were disenfranchised, more than 8m ballots were printed for 6.4m registered voters and that thousands of voters were turned away from polling stations, particularly in urban areas where the MDC has previously drawn much of its support.

The Zimbabwe Election Support Network, a coalition of non-governmental organisations that had more than 7,000 observers deployed across the country, said more than 750,000 people were missing from the voters roll in urban areas. The MDC also repeatedly complained that it had not been able to see an electronic version of an updated voters roll, which would have enabled it to analyse the registration details.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. Mugabe declared winner in Zimbabwe election - FT.com

In addition no one that is a Zimbabwe citizen that lives outside the country is allowed to vote in the election either.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 AM

880 posts, read 1,754,158 times
Say what you want about the man but he took back his country from the white man.His ignorance on how to run the country is the problem.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:43 PM

13,650 posts, read 8,565,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Say what you want about the man but he took back his country from the white man.His ignorance on how to run the country is the problem.
Seems to me that this mindset is the core of the problem. Because Mugabe is black, Zimbabwe is his country. But I disagree about his ignorance; he knows exactly how to run his country.

One of the features of the U.S. Constitution that made America successful is that originally the vote was restricted to land owners, or, as it may be said now, "those with skin in the game". That provision has been abandoned bit by bit until now, where we have the low information voters carrying the day very often.

Areas in America where voting is done by race produces poor results; I don't know why we would think anything would be different in Zimbabwe.

As it is, the only future in Zimbabwe belongs to Mugabe. The country has none. Shortage of electrical power, deforestation, HIV present in 25% of the population, corruption, and ignorance fueled by anger has doomed the country.
They are near beggars now, and I believe they will continue on that track.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:55 PM

5,823 posts, read 10,150,738 times
These "elections" were a travesty anyway, so why bother talk about it ? it always make publicity for President -for -life Mugabe (the guy is 88 and clongs to power-it's insane!)
Oh and to the last white farmer : don't forget to turn out the light upon leaving-blimey , I forgot, there are no light fixtures anymore in what has become the broken heart of darkest Africa....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa