U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM

322 posts, read 487,537 times

Advertisements

Can it really be considered "winning" when you're the only one on the ballot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,228,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
No secret. Just fear and intimidation, plus buying votes when necessary.
I guess he will die in office. No Catholic funeral for him, please!
Geez he is old. God will probably term limit him out sooner rather than later. Sorry the folks of Zimbabwe had to suffer through him so long.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
He's also far from the only corrupt, dictatorial leader in Africa. People in the West tend to focus on him mainly because of the Forest Whitaker depiction and his move against the country's white farmers awhile back.
I thought Forest Whitaker was in a movie about Idi Amin. Never saw it so I could be wrong though.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:20 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,778,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Keyword is they don't live there now. Those that do love the guy. He would win hands down in a free election or an unfree election.
Well if they love the guy surely there would be supporters of the Mugabe regime here in my country that are from that country? I not met one. However with regards to your country, I have met Americans here in my country that dislike Obama and never voted for him.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 PM

13,888 posts, read 8,725,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Keyword is they don't live there now. Those that do love the guy. He would win hands down in a free election or an unfree election.
If that's true - and I really don't know - that makes a very strong statement about the state of mind of the average voting Zimbabwean. We've seen it here in the states when some largely unqualified person sings a song that resonates with uninformed voters, and they stupidly vote for him.
Uninformed voters are a fraud's best friend.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If that's true - and I really don't know - that makes a very strong statement about the state of mind of the average voting Zimbabwean. We've seen it here in the states when some largely unqualified person sings a song that resonates with uninformed voters, and they stupidly vote for him.
Uninformed voters are a fraud's best friend.
Charles Taylor won what was regarded as a free election in Liberia, and one of his slogans was, "He murdered my mother, he murdered my father, but still I will vote for him."

Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,949,209 times
History will remember Mugabe differently than how he is currently thought of. He took a people colonized by racists and delivered them to a state firmly controlled by the majority. He's more successful than a lot of Western leaders...a product of his time, perhaps slow to catch up to modern political realities, still, a man who did a lot for his people given his circumstances and deserving of a lot more respect than he is shown. The old African leadership that delivered Africa to where it is currently will be missed. His staunch defiance in the face of Western pressure is commendable and Africa's leaders, going forward, would do well to learn from his example.

Just my perspective.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:02 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,778,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
History will remember Mugabe differently than how he is currently thought of. He took a people colonized by racists and delivered them to a state firmly controlled by the majority. He's more successful than a lot of Western leaders...a product of his time, perhaps slow to catch up to modern political realities, still, a man who did a lot for his people given his circumstances and deserving of a lot more respect than he is shown. The old African leadership that delivered Africa to where it is currently will be missed. His staunch defiance in the face of Western pressure is commendable and Africa's leaders, going forward, would do well to learn from his example.

Just my perspective.
Have you met anyone from that country before? I know someone from that country that gives his family a lot of money to his relatives in that country as they barely enough to survive. He is Black and even though he lived through the white ruled Rhodesia, he admitted that at least the economy was in much better shape then than now. I had a long conversations with him about that country. Yet the living standards over there went well to do people (those that were not in the government) in that country existed until the late 1990s and things got a lot worse. How is Mugabe more successful than a lot of western leaders? The economy and living standards were much better in that country when it became independent than today. That is in contrast with neighbouring Botswana. Botswana at least became one of the most business friendly nations in the world.

A comparison between Zimbabwe and Botswana is meaningful because of their similarities. They are landlocked, equally sized, resource rich, neighbouring countries with comparable ethnic diversity, reaching independence at approximately the same time (World Factbook, 2011). Although the countries differ significantly in terms of population density, this should not retract from the argument of this essay. The difference between life in Botswana and Zimbabwe is immense. Botswana is one of Africa’s fastest growing economies. It is in the top 10 of highest HDIs in Africa and has a living standard comparable to Turkey (World Bank, 2011). Zimbabwe is with a 54% GDP decline since internationally recognised independence, one of the fastest contracting economies (Makina 2010). Life expectancy is one of the lowest in the world (34 years for women), unemployment is estimated to be over 90% and the IMF´s last estimate of hyperinflation lies at 500 billion per cent (ibid.). The fact that there are numerous similarities between Botswana and Zimbabwe suggests that the causes for their respective success and failure need to be political.What Makes a Failed State? Examining the Case of Zimbabwe

In addition 4 million people from Zimbabwe have fled to South Africa due to the state of the economy in that country:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8403701.stm

In addition Zimbabwe life expectancy is the lowest in the world:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8622519.stm

In addition there is a brain drain in the country as well. Yet my friend from there has said he would consider moving back there if Mugabe leaves office and the political oppression ends.
Political repression and the heavy-handed suppression of any opposition to the Mugabe Government by the authorities have added to the country's economic woes and forced many professional and skilled people to leave by any route they can find.

Last edited by other99; 08-05-2013 at 02:41 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 04:52 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,207,098 times
Nelson Mandela repeatedly talked Mubabe into reliquishing power. To no avail. The man is stubborn (and dangerous). He will be the dictator of Zimbabwe until his death.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 AM

9,664 posts, read 9,526,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I thought Forest Whitaker was in a movie about Idi Amin. Never saw it so I could be wrong though.

The Last King of Scotland (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa